Never again

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Never again

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm

I just completed a third trip to NYC this year, during which I got to see 8 Broadway shows. OK, seven, since one is technically off- or off-off. I doubt that will ever happen again, mostly because there will likely not be such a great lineup.

March: Come from Away, Hamilton
May: Waitress with Sara Bareilles, Dear Evan Hansen, The Great Comet, Spamilton
August: Bandstand, Hello Dolly! (twice)

Hamilton and Waitress were holdovers from previous seasons. Spamilton is in a very small venue but they just moved from a tiny one to a less-tiny one, and they were sold out on Tuesday night so they seem to be doing fine.

If you have any trips coming up and you have choices to make, try to see Dolly on a Tuesday, when Bette Midler is off and Donna Murphy is CRUSHING. IT. You can sit much closer to the stage for half the cost, and David Hyde Pierce is really the glue of the whole thing anyway. It's great if you want to see Bette (whose last night is Jan. 14), but Murphy is a Broadway veteran who brings a slightly more professional aspect to the whole thing, and is just as much fun. She blends in better, in a good way. She also does whole weeks when Bette is on vacation, but I don't know if she will commit to a long run after that January date - her husband died last year and her daughter is 11. Her loss gives "Before the Parade Passes By" a little extra something. I loved seeing this show without really knowing much about it except the iconic title song, which is a total spectacle, and got a standing ovation mid-second act on Tuesday night.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.