Game #170 – It’s All in the Title

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #167 – It’s All in the Title

#26 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:22 pm

FRANK SAID:

On the actors list:

Two of the definites are wrong. (In one case, I think it was a typo, since the same actor appears twice).

This is the typo:

A-79. “Miss Huberman is first, last, and always not a lady. She may be risking her life, but when it comes to being a lady, she doesn't hold a candle to your wife, sitting in Washington, playing bridge with three other ladies of great honor and virtue.”
JAMES GARNER

CARY GRANT describing Ingrid Bergman in Notorious

Of the answers with a question mark, six are right and five are wrong. (One is a definite case of 'right church, wrong pew.')

A-54. She won her only Oscar the same year her brother won the first of his five Oscars.
SHIRLEY MACLAINE?

Can't be. Warren Beatty wasn't nominated the year she won. I was thinking Norma Shearer but her brother Douglas-the-sound-guy won more than five Oscars.

A-70. She and her husband were the first of three married couples to jointly receive the Kennedy Center Honors.
ANNE BANCROFT?

How about JESSICA TANDY? I seem to recall she and Cronyn were honored together.

A-76. In addition to getting three Oscar nominations for acting, he has co-produced five movies that were nominated for Best Picture, including two that won.
MICHAEL DOUGLAS?

He's gotten two Oscars but one acting, one producing. I thought of Kirk Douglas but, nope.

mellytu74

#27 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm

mellytu74 wrote: A-76. In addition to getting three Oscar nominations for acting, he has co-produced five movies that were nominated for Best Picture, including two that won.
MICHAEL DOUGLAS?

He's gotten two Oscars but one acting, one producing. I thought of Kirk Douglas but, nope.
Clint Eastwood?

franktangredi

#28 Post by franktangredi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 pm

mellytu74 wrote: A-54. She won her only Oscar the same year her brother won the first of his five Oscars.
SHIRLEY MACLAINE?

Can't be. Warren Beatty wasn't nominated the year she won. I was thinking Norma Shearer but her brother Douglas-the-sound-guy won more than five Oscars.
I rechecked this and my original source was wrong on the number of Oscars that Douglas Shearer won. Sorry about that!

jarnon

#29 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:01 am

Updated consolidation. I removed the clues from the answers that Frank confirmed.

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 87 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Nine actors will be used twice and two will be used three times.

Twenty-four movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

I am sure alternate answers will pop up. We’ll consider it done when every clue has been legitimately used.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. “And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?”
JIMMY STEWART

A-2. The first of her seven Oscar nominations put her in direct competition with her own sister.
VANESSA REDGRAVE?

A-3. “You got that from Vickers' Work in Essex County, page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you palm it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend? See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a f**kin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!”
MATT DAMON

A-4. A recipient of a Purple Heart for his service in World War II, this actor went on to survive arguably the two best World War II action flicks of the 1960s.
CHARLES BRONSON

A-5. “I'm going to show you what yum-yum is. Here's yum.... Here's the other yum.... And here's yum-yum.”
BARBARA STANWYCK

A-6. She won both her Oscars for movies adapted from works that had won the Pulitzer Prize.
VIVIEN LEIGH

A-7. “You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! You do Martha Graham, Martha Graham, Martha Graham! Or Twyla, Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd! Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna! But you keep it all inside.”
ROBIN WILLIAMS

A-8. This Bahamian-born actor received both a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II and the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama.
SIDNEY POITIER

A-9. PAUL NEWMAN

A-10. Between 1958 and 1961, this former film star served as the eponymous host of a children’s anthology series featuring adaptations of famous fairy tales.
SHIRLEY TEMPLE

A-11. “I despise rapists. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.”
JOHN MALKOVICH

A-12. He made his film debut in a popular 1982 comedy as one of two characters listed in the credits simply as “Stoner Bud.” (His fellow stoner lurks elsewhere in this game.)
ERIC STOLTZ?

A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN

A-14. She and her then-husband shared one of the most romantic movie scenes of the 1940s – although in real life, their marriage was on the rocks due to her affair with the film’s producer.

A-15. “They may think it's twice as safe because there's two of them, but it isn't twice as safe. It's ten times twice as dangerous. They've committed a murder. And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”
EDWARD G. ROBINSON? HARVEY KEITEL?

A-16. It is generally considered that one of Ava Gardner’s most famous film roles was modeled on this other Hollywood sex symbol.
RITA HAYWORTH

A-17. “Helmet! So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time.”
BILL PULLMAN

A-18. TOM CONTI

A-19. “I can hear you whisperin,' children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience children. I'm coming to find you now.”
ROBERT MITCHUM

A-20. HELEN MIRREN

A-21. “Playwrights teach us nothing about love. They make it pretty, they make it comical, or they make it lust, but they cannot make it true.”
DAME JUDI DENCH

A-22. It has long been rumored that this Oscar-winning actor could give Dirk Diggler a run for his money, but he and his lawyer would like people to stop talking about it. (Good luck with that.)

A-23. “I am making out the report now. We haven't quite decided yet whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”
CLAUDE RAINS

A-24. When he received the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series, he broke Alec Baldwin’s seven-year winning streak.
JEFFREY TAMBOR

A-25. “On the surface, everything seems fine. I've got this great guy. And he loves my kid. And he sure does like me a lot. And I can't live like that. It's not the way I'm built.”
RENEE ZELLWEGER

A-26. In 1947, this actor made his debut behind the camera, directing himself in the role of a classic hard-boiled detective.
ROBERT MONTGOMERY?

A-27. “I'd like to think that sometime, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, there'd be something I could laugh at. Anything.”
SPENCER TRACY

A-28. Chronic asthma shortened both the life and filmography of this British actor, who got through his last film role in 1958 with the help of oxygen and a nurse.
ROBERT DONAT

A-29. “She's not a woman, she's the Terminator!”
BILLY CRYSTAL

A-30. He was the first actor to win five Emmy awards for a single role.
DON KNOTTS

A-31. “Now, the problem is how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.”
MICHAEL CAINE

A-32. Though only eleven years older than Charlton Heston, she played his mother in two major films of the 1950s.
MARTHA SCOTT

A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY

A-34. He is the only actor to receive an Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Herman Melville.
TERENCE STAMP

A-35. “The way I see it, there's only two possible outcomes. Either I make it down there in one piece and I have one hell of a story to tell. Or I burn up in the next ten minutes. Either way whichever way, no harm no foul. ’Cause either way, it'll be one hell of a ride.”
BRUCE WILLIS?

A-36. A tragic event in the life of this actress inspired a 1962 novel by Agatha Christie.
GENE TIERNEY

A-37. “It's there all the time, driving me out to wander the streets, following me, silently, but I can feel it there. It's me, pursuing myself! I want to escape, to escape from myself! But it's impossible. I can't escape, I have to obey it. I have to run, run ... endless streets. I want to escape, to get away! And I'm pursued by ghosts. Ghosts of mothers and of those children ... they never leave me. They are always there ... always, always, always!”
PETER LORRE?

A-38. He starred in the film version of the play reference in Clue A-18.
RICHARD DREYFUSS

A-39. “I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator.”

A-40. This famously reclusive actress suffered from chronic stage fright – a fact which resulted in Judy Holliday getting her big break on Broadway.
JEAN ARTHUR

A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN

A-42. This Oscar-winning actress had her biggest commercial success with a live action reboot of a Disney animated classic.
ANGELINA JOLIE?

A-43. “All of you know what I stand for - what I believe! I believe in the truth of the Book of Genesis! Exodus! Leviticus! Numbers! Deuteronomy! Joshua! Judges! Ruth! First Samuel! Second Samuel! First Kings! Second Kings! Isaiah! Jeremiah! Lamentations! Ezekiel!”
FREDRIC MARCH

A-44. He first came to prominence playing the title role of a sitcom set in the 15th century … and the 16th century … and the 18th century … and the 20th century.
ROWAN ATKINSON

A-45. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”
EVE ARDEN

A-46. She completes this list: Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Barbara Stanwyck, Elizabeth Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Jane Fonda, _________.
DIANE KEATON

A-47. “For the past 50 years or so I've been getting more and more worried about Christmas. Seems we're all so busy trying to beat the other fellow in making things go faster and look shinier and cost less that Christmas and I are sort of getting lost in the shuffle.”
EDMUND GWENN

A-48. Her last on-screen appearance to date was 24 years ago, playing the mother of Tom Hanks.
JOANNE WOODWARD

A-49. “We got two stories here: a story about degenerate clergy, and a story about a bunch of lawyers turning child abuse into a cottage industry. Which story do you want us to write? Because we're writing one of them.”
MICHAEL KEATON

A-50. She was the first actress to win a Tony and an Oscar for the same role.
SHIRLEY BOOTH?

A-51. “My life is a game of strip poker. Want to play?’

A-52. She has appeared in film adaptations of novels by Ray Bradbury, Thomas Hardy, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Rebecca West, and some Russian dude.
JULIE CHRISTIE

A-53. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
WILLIAM POWELL

A-54. She won her only Oscar the same year her brother won the first of his five Oscars.
NORMA SHEARER

A-55. “Stop breaking the law, a**hole!”

A-56. When this actor’s mother died in 1960, Noel Coward commented, “It must be terrible to be orphaned at 71.”
CLIFTON WEBB

A-57. “Mrs. Peters, in a half-an-hour there's going to be a full-on nuclear attack. The missiles are on their way now. L.A.'s going to be a desert again very soon.”

A-58. She was the most recent Bond’s first Bond girl.
EVA GREEN

A-59. “Here at NASA we all pee the same color.”
KEVIN COSTNER

A-60. Her last feature film was also the last feature film personally produced by Walt Disney.

A-61. “Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama, alligators are ornery 'cause of their medulla oblongata! And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them, too!”

A-62. ERIC BLORE

A-63. “It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans.”
LESLIE NIELSEN

A-64. In July 2017, this onetime sex symbol and photojournalist celebrated her 90th birthday.
GINA LOLLABRIGIDA?

A-65. “Oh, Eleanor, you've brought me my tombstone! You spoil me!”
PETER O'TOOLE

A-66. In 1993, this actress became the youngest person ever to host a syndicated talk show. (The record has since been broken.)
RICKI LAKE

A-67. “You want to know why I came back so fast? I got to the end of our lane. I couldn't remember where the old town road was. I went a little ways in the woods. There was nothing familiar. Not one damn tree. Scared me half to death. That's why I came running back here to you. So I could see your pretty face and I could feel safe and that I was still me.”
HENRY FONDA

A-68. Presenting the Oscar for Art Direction in 1993, he took the opportunity to give a speech denouncing China – a move that got him banned from both the Oscars and China.

A-69. “Well I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me, I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done. “
GARY COOPER

A-70. She and her husband were the first of three married couples to jointly receive the Kennedy Center Honors.
JESSICA TANDY

A-71. ORSON WELLES

A-72. This actor – best known for his role as a TV detective – was inducted into the Mustache Hall of Fame in 2015. (Other actors afforded this honor include Richard Pryor, Burt Reynolds, Sam Elliott, and Billy Dee Williams.)
TOM SELLECK

A-73. “From what I've heard, your singing career was almost non-existent, and your married lover wants you dead. If you're fooling anyone, it is only yourself. God has brought you here. Take the hint.”
MAGGIE SMITH

A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD

A-75. "Young? You been stomping around her in those boots like you owned the place, thinking every woman you saw as gonna fall madly in love. But here's one woman didn't pay you any mind. Aristocratic millionaire, my foot! You wouldn't know an aristocratic millionaire if he spit on you. Braggin' about your father, and I bet he wasn't any better'n you are. You think just 'cause you're a man, you can walk in here and make off with whatever you like. You think just 'cause you're young you can push other people aside and not pay them any mind. You think just cause you're strong you can show your muscles and nobody'll know what a pitiful specimen you are. But you won't stay young forever, didja ever thinka that? What'll become of you then? You'll end your life in the gutter and it'll serve you right, 'cause the gutter's where you came from and the gutter's where you belong."
BETTY FIELD?

A-76. In addition to getting three Oscar nominations for acting, he has co-produced five movies that were nominated for Best Picture, including two that won.
MICHAEL DOUGLAS? CLINT EASTWOOD?

A-77. “Colin's not a blind man as long as he's with me. And he's going with me!”
JAMES GARNER

A-78. Directors under whom this actress has worked include Ron Howard, Barbet Schroder, Taylor Hackford, Sam Mendes, Joel Coen, Robert Altman, and Quentin Tarantino.

A-79. “Miss Huberman is first, last, and always not a lady. She may be risking her life, but when it comes to being a lady, she doesn't hold a candle to your wife, sitting in Washington, playing bridge with three other ladies of great honor and virtue.”
CARY GRANT

A-80. The nerve damage her right hand sustained during the filming of one of the most exciting scenes in movie history plagued her for the remaining 73 years of her life.
LILLIAN GISH

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

B-3. “When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.”
THE COURT JESTER?

B-4. Her impressive bodily contortions helped this film’s leading lady win the MTV Movie Award for Best Frightened Performance in 2006.

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST

B-7. “There's something you should know. I'm having an affair.”
“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“It gets worse. She's white.”
“Nuclear holocaust!”

B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-9. “I ... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead ... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women and the children, too. They're like animals and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!”

B-10. The cast of this film included the actors in Clues A-7 and A-70.

B-11. OH, GOD!

B-12. This 1939 film paired the two halves of what was arguably Hollywood’s greatest diva feud – and, no, one of them is not who you think it is.
THE WOMEN?

B-13. “I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.”
“Soft mattress?”
“Yeah, it could have been the soft mattress. Or the midnight rape. Or the nude gay art show that took place in my room. One of those probably added to the lack of sleep.”
WEDDING CRASHERS

B-14. This 1939 biopic gave rise to a new nickname for an 1876 invention.
THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL?

B-15. THE THIN MAN

B-16. This adaptation of a Henry James novella was shot on location at a Gothic mansion in Sussex, England.
THE INNOCENTS? THE TURN OF THE SCREW?

B-17. “Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem: I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT

B-19. “Isn't it funny? You hear a phone ring and it could be anybody. But a ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it? Doesn’t it?”
PHONE BOOTH

B-20. GOLD DIGGERS OF 1935

B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”
“Am I supposed to feel sorry for you?”
“No, you were supposed to die for me.”

B-22. The chief villain of this brutal prison drama was played by the husband of one of the actresses on List A.

B-23. AMISTAD
B-24. SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO
B-25. TO BE OR NOT TO BE (Remake)

B-26. When Times critic Bosley Crowther dismissed this 1967 classic as “a cheap piece of bald-faced slapstick comedy,” he ended up doing more damage to his reputation than to the movie.
BONNIE AND CLYDE?

B-27. “I told him I'd be ready on my 20th birthday.”
“But that's tomorrow. And will you be ready?”
“Well, that all depends.”
“What on?”
“Whether or not the furniture comes back.”
THE GRADUATE? BABY DOLL?

B-28. THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED
B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK
B-30. I MARRIED A COMMUNIST

B-31. “Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to follow. What we need are heroes.”

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES

B-35. “Whoo, that little peanut can sing!”
“He really can. It sounds to me, though, Gail, like his boys haven't dropped yet, if you know what I mean.”
“If you mean his testicles, then I do, John. I do. I really do.”

B-36. British playwright Terence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for this glossy all-star extravaganza made up of three episodes that take place in London, Genoa, and Trieste.
YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-39. “I remember wrenching the steering wheel to the right and slapping my foot against the brake petal. I wasn't the driver anymore. The bus was like this huge wave about to break over us. Bear Otto, the Lambston kids, the Hamiltons, the Prescotts, the teenaged boys and girls from Bartlett Hill Road, Pete, Suzy, Laura, Rick, Sean Walker, Nicole Burnell, Billy Ansel's twins, Jessica and Mason ... all the children of my town.”

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

B-43. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.”

B-44. This 1935 film featured Hollywood’s first dance sequence between interracial partners. (The sequence was not shown in the South. Of course.)
THE LITTLE COLONEL? THE LITTLEST REBEL?

B-45. SHANE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#30 Post by franktangredi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:08 am

Among the actors, one of the definites is wrong. Among those with a single question mark, two are wrong. (One is a case of "right church, wrong pew.") The one with two alternate answers includes the correct answer.

Among the films, all the definites are correct. Among those with a single question mark, one is wrong. The ones that include two alternates all include the correct answer. In one case, it's just a matter of which of the two alternates is the correct title; they both refer to the same movie. In another case ... it doesn't matter.
jarnon wrote:Updated consolidation. I removed the clues from the answers that Frank confirmed.

Identify the 80 actors in List A and the 45 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, form 87 pairs, each consisting of one actor and one movie, and 3 triples, each consisting of two actors and one movie, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Twenty-four movies will be used twice, six will be used three times, and three will be used four times.

I am sure alternate answers will pop up. We’ll consider it done when every clue has been legitimately used.

A-1. “And then what did he do? Did he train you? Did he rehearse you? Did he tell you exactly what to do, what to say? You were a very apt pupil too, weren't you? You were a very apt pupil! Well, why did you pick on me? Why me?”
JIMMY STEWART

A-2. The first of her seven Oscar nominations put her in direct competition with her own sister.
VANESSA REDGRAVE?

A-3. “You got that from Vickers' Work in Essex County, page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you palm it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend? See, the sad thing about a guy like you is, in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're going to come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life: one, don't do that, and two, you dropped 150 grand on a f**kin' education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!”
MATT DAMON

A-4. A recipient of a Purple Heart for his service in World War II, this actor went on to survive arguably the two best World War II action flicks of the 1960s.
CHARLES BRONSON

A-5. “I'm going to show you what yum-yum is. Here's yum.... Here's the other yum.... And here's yum-yum.”
BARBARA STANWYCK

A-6. She won both her Oscars for movies adapted from works that had won the Pulitzer Prize.
VIVIEN LEIGH

A-7. “You do an eclectic celebration of the dance! You do Fosse, Fosse, Fosse! You do Martha Graham, Martha Graham, Martha Graham! Or Twyla, Twyla, Twyla! Or Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd, Michael Kidd! Or Madonna, Madonna, Madonna! But you keep it all inside.”
ROBIN WILLIAMS

A-8. This Bahamian-born actor received both a knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II and the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama.
SIDNEY POITIER

A-9. PAUL NEWMAN

A-10. Between 1958 and 1961, this former film star served as the eponymous host of a children’s anthology series featuring adaptations of famous fairy tales.
SHIRLEY TEMPLE

A-11. “I despise rapists. For me, you're somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner of your mouth when you're really thirsty.”
JOHN MALKOVICH

A-12. He made his film debut in a popular 1982 comedy as one of two characters listed in the credits simply as “Stoner Bud.” (His fellow stoner lurks elsewhere in this game.)
ERIC STOLTZ?

A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN

A-14. She and her then-husband shared one of the most romantic movie scenes of the 1940s – although in real life, their marriage was on the rocks due to her affair with the film’s producer.

A-15. “They may think it's twice as safe because there's two of them, but it isn't twice as safe. It's ten times twice as dangerous. They've committed a murder. And it's not like taking a trolley ride together where they can get off at different stops. They're stuck with each other and they got to ride all the way to the end of the line and it's a one-way trip and the last stop is the cemetery.”

A-16. It is generally considered that one of Ava Gardner’s most famous film roles was modeled on this other Hollywood sex symbol.
RITA HAYWORTH

A-17. “Helmet! So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time.”
BILL PULLMAN

A-18. TOM CONTI

A-19. “I can hear you whisperin,' children, so I know you're down there. I can feel myself gettin' awful mad. I'm out of patience children. I'm coming to find you now.”
ROBERT MITCHUM

A-20. HELEN MIRREN

A-21. “Playwrights teach us nothing about love. They make it pretty, they make it comical, or they make it lust, but they cannot make it true.”
DAME JUDI DENCH

A-22. It has long been rumored that this Oscar-winning actor could give Dirk Diggler a run for his money, but he and his lawyer would like people to stop talking about it. (Good luck with that.)

A-23. “I am making out the report now. We haven't quite decided yet whether he committed suicide or died trying to escape.”
CLAUDE RAINS

A-24. When he received the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series, he broke Alec Baldwin’s seven-year winning streak.
JEFFREY TAMBOR

A-25. “On the surface, everything seems fine. I've got this great guy. And he loves my kid. And he sure does like me a lot. And I can't live like that. It's not the way I'm built.”
RENEE ZELLWEGER

A-26. In 1947, this actor made his debut behind the camera, directing himself in the role of a classic hard-boiled detective.
ROBERT MONTGOMERY?

A-27. “I'd like to think that sometime, maybe 10 or 20 years from now, there'd be something I could laugh at. Anything.”
SPENCER TRACY

A-28. Chronic asthma shortened both the life and filmography of this British actor, who got through his last film role in 1958 with the help of oxygen and a nurse.
ROBERT DONAT

A-29. “She's not a woman, she's the Terminator!”
BILLY CRYSTAL

A-30. He was the first actor to win five Emmy awards for a single role.
DON KNOTTS

A-31. “Now, the problem is how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.”
MICHAEL CAINE

A-32. Though only eleven years older than Charlton Heston, she played his mother in two major films of the 1950s.
MARTHA SCOTT

A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY

A-34. He is the only actor to receive an Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Herman Melville.
TERENCE STAMP

A-35. “The way I see it, there's only two possible outcomes. Either I make it down there in one piece and I have one hell of a story to tell. Or I burn up in the next ten minutes. Either way whichever way, no harm no foul. ’Cause either way, it'll be one hell of a ride.”
BRUCE WILLIS?

A-36. A tragic event in the life of this actress inspired a 1962 novel by Agatha Christie.
GENE TIERNEY

A-37. “It's there all the time, driving me out to wander the streets, following me, silently, but I can feel it there. It's me, pursuing myself! I want to escape, to escape from myself! But it's impossible. I can't escape, I have to obey it. I have to run, run ... endless streets. I want to escape, to get away! And I'm pursued by ghosts. Ghosts of mothers and of those children ... they never leave me. They are always there ... always, always, always!”
PETER LORRE?

A-38. He starred in the film version of the play reference in Clue A-18.
RICHARD DREYFUSS

A-39. “I came up with a new game-show idea recently. It's called The Old Game. You got three old guys with loaded guns onstage. They look back at their lives, see who they were, what they accomplished, how close they came to realizing their dreams. The winner is the one who doesn't blow his brains out. He gets a refrigerator.”

A-40. This famously reclusive actress suffered from chronic stage fright – a fact which resulted in Judy Holliday getting her big break on Broadway.
JEAN ARTHUR

A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN

A-42. This Oscar-winning actress had her biggest commercial success with a live action reboot of a Disney animated classic.
ANGELINA JOLIE?

A-43. “All of you know what I stand for - what I believe! I believe in the truth of the Book of Genesis! Exodus! Leviticus! Numbers! Deuteronomy! Joshua! Judges! Ruth! First Samuel! Second Samuel! First Kings! Second Kings! Isaiah! Jeremiah! Lamentations! Ezekiel!”
FREDRIC MARCH

A-44. He first came to prominence playing the title role of a sitcom set in the 15th century … and the 16th century … and the 18th century … and the 20th century.
ROWAN ATKINSON

A-45. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”
EVE ARDEN

A-46. She completes this list: Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Barbara Stanwyck, Elizabeth Taylor, Barbra Streisand, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Jane Fonda, _________.
DIANE KEATON

A-47. “For the past 50 years or so I've been getting more and more worried about Christmas. Seems we're all so busy trying to beat the other fellow in making things go faster and look shinier and cost less that Christmas and I are sort of getting lost in the shuffle.”
EDMUND GWENN

A-48. Her last on-screen appearance to date was 24 years ago, playing the mother of Tom Hanks.
JOANNE WOODWARD

A-49. “We got two stories here: a story about degenerate clergy, and a story about a bunch of lawyers turning child abuse into a cottage industry. Which story do you want us to write? Because we're writing one of them.”
MICHAEL KEATON

A-50. She was the first actress to win a Tony and an Oscar for the same role.
SHIRLEY BOOTH?

A-52. She has appeared in film adaptations of novels by Ray Bradbury, Thomas Hardy, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, Rebecca West, and some Russian dude.
JULIE CHRISTIE

A-53. “The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job.”
WILLIAM POWELL

NORMA SHEARER

A-56. When this actor’s mother died in 1960, Noel Coward commented, “It must be terrible to be orphaned at 71.”
CLIFTON WEBB

A-57. “Mrs. Peters, in a half-an-hour there's going to be a full-on nuclear attack. The missiles are on their way now. L.A.'s going to be a desert again very soon.”

A-58. She was the most recent Bond’s first Bond girl.
EVA GREEN

A-59. “Here at NASA we all pee the same color.”
KEVIN COSTNER

A-60. Her last feature film was also the last feature film personally produced by Walt Disney.

A-61. “Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama, alligators are ornery 'cause of their medulla oblongata! And I like Vicki, and she like me back! And she showed me her boobies and I like them, too!”

A-62. ERIC BLORE

A-63. “It's a topsy-turvy world, and maybe the problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans. But this is our hill. And these are our beans.”
LESLIE NIELSEN

A-64. In July 2017, this onetime sex symbol and photojournalist celebrated her 90th birthday.
GINA LOLLABRIGIDA?

A-65. “Oh, Eleanor, you've brought me my tombstone! You spoil me!”
PETER O'TOOLE

A-66. In 1993, this actress became the youngest person ever to host a syndicated talk show. (The record has since been broken.)
RICKI LAKE

A-67. “You want to know why I came back so fast? I got to the end of our lane. I couldn't remember where the old town road was. I went a little ways in the woods. There was nothing familiar. Not one damn tree. Scared me half to death. That's why I came running back here to you. So I could see your pretty face and I could feel safe and that I was still me.”
HENRY FONDA

A-68. Presenting the Oscar for Art Direction in 1993, he took the opportunity to give a speech denouncing China – a move that got him banned from both the Oscars and China.

A-69. “Well I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me, I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done. “
GARY COOPER

JESSICA TANDY

A-71. ORSON WELLES

A-72. This actor – best known for his role as a TV detective – was inducted into the Mustache Hall of Fame in 2015. (Other actors afforded this honor include Richard Pryor, Burt Reynolds, Sam Elliott, and Billy Dee Williams.)
TOM SELLECK

A-73. “From what I've heard, your singing career was almost non-existent, and your married lover wants you dead. If you're fooling anyone, it is only yourself. God has brought you here. Take the hint.”
MAGGIE SMITH

A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD

A-75. "Young? You been stomping around her in those boots like you owned the place, thinking every woman you saw as gonna fall madly in love. But here's one woman didn't pay you any mind. Aristocratic millionaire, my foot! You wouldn't know an aristocratic millionaire if he spit on you. Braggin' about your father, and I bet he wasn't any better'n you are. You think just 'cause you're a man, you can walk in here and make off with whatever you like. You think just 'cause you're young you can push other people aside and not pay them any mind. You think just cause you're strong you can show your muscles and nobody'll know what a pitiful specimen you are. But you won't stay young forever, didja ever thinka that? What'll become of you then? You'll end your life in the gutter and it'll serve you right, 'cause the gutter's where you came from and the gutter's where you belong."
BETTY FIELD?

A-77. “Colin's not a blind man as long as he's with me. And he's going with me!”
JAMES GARNER

A-78. Directors under whom this actress has worked include Ron Howard, Barbet Schroder, Taylor Hackford, Sam Mendes, Joel Coen, Robert Altman, and Quentin Tarantino.

CARY GRANT

A-80. The nerve damage her right hand sustained during the filming of one of the most exciting scenes in movie history plagued her for the remaining 73 years of her life.
LILLIAN GISH

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

B-3. “When the Doge did his duty and the Duke didn't, that's when the Duchess did the dirt to the Duke with the Doge.”
THE COURT JESTER?

B-4. Her impressive bodily contortions helped this film’s leading lady win the MTV Movie Award for Best Frightened Performance in 2006.

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST

“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“Nuclear holocaust!”

B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-9. “I ... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead ... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women and the children, too. They're like animals and I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!”

B-11. OH, GOD!

B-12. This 1939 film paired the two halves of what was arguably Hollywood’s greatest diva feud – and, no, one of them is not who you think it is.
THE WOMEN?

B-13. “I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.”
“Soft mattress?”
“Yeah, it could have been the soft mattress. Or the midnight rape. Or the nude gay art show that took place in my room. One of those probably added to the lack of sleep.”
WEDDING CRASHERS

B-15. THE THIN MAN

B-16. This adaptation of a Henry James novella was shot on location at a Gothic mansion in Sussex, England.

B-17. “Freddy, as a younger man, I was a sculptor, a painter, and a musician. There was just one problem: I wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, I was dreadful. I finally came to the frustrating conclusion that I had taste and style, but not talent. I knew my limitations. We all have our limitations, Freddy. Fortunately, I discovered that taste and style were commodities that people desired. Freddy, what I am saying is: know your limitations. You are a moron.”

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT

B-19. “Isn't it funny? You hear a phone ring and it could be anybody. But a ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it? Doesn’t it?”
PHONE BOOTH

B-21. “It wasn't God who gave me this face. It was you, setting the timers for three minutes instead of six.”

B-22. The chief villain of this brutal prison drama was played by the husband of one of the actresses on List A.

B-23. AMISTAD

B-26. When Times critic Bosley Crowther dismissed this 1967 classic as “a cheap piece of bald-faced slapstick comedy,” he ended up doing more damage to his reputation than to the movie.
BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
THE GRADUATE? BABY DOLL?

B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-31. “Here, the men's only choice is between German bullets and ours. But there's another way. The way of courage. The way of love of the Motherland. We must publish the army newspaper again. We must tell magnificent stories, stories that extol sacrifice, bravery. We must make them believe in the victory. We must give them hope, pride, a desire to fight. Yes... we need to make examples. But examples to follow. What we need are heroes.”

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES

“He really can. It sounds to me, though, Gail, like his boys haven't dropped yet, if you know what I mean.”

B-36. British playwright Terence Rattigan wrote the screenplay for this glossy all-star extravaganza made up of three episodes that take place in London, Genoa, and Trieste.
YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-39. “I remember wrenching the steering wheel to the right and slapping my foot against the brake petal. I wasn't the driver anymore. The bus was like this huge wave about to break over us. Bear Otto, the Lambston kids, the Hamiltons, the Prescotts, the teenaged boys and girls from Bartlett Hill Road, Pete, Suzy, Laura, Rick, Sean Walker, Nicole Burnell, Billy Ansel's twins, Jessica and Mason ... all the children of my town.”

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

B-43. “My daughter speaks with the wisdom beyond her years. We've all come here with anger in our hearts, but she comes with courage and understanding. From this day forward, if there is to be more killing, it will not start with me.”

B-44. This 1935 film featured Hollywood’s first dance sequence between interracial partners. (The sequence was not shown in the South. Of course.)

B-45. SHANE

silverscreenselect

#31 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 am

franktangredi wrote: Among the films, all the definites are correct. Among those with a single question mark, one is wrong. The ones that include two alternates all include the correct answer. In one case, it's just a matter of which of the two alternates is the correct title; they both refer to the same movie. In another case ... it doesn't matter.

The name of the Henry James novella is The Turn of the Screw and several film versions have appeared under that name. However, the most famous version, and doubtless the one Frank is looking for starred Deborah Kerr and is titled The Innocents.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kerryoakie

#32 Post by kerryoakie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 am

The wrong single question mark is A-35. This was SANDRA BULLOCK in Gravity.

Also
A-55 is JIM CARREY from Liar Liar
A-61 is ADAM SANDLER from Waterboy

mellytu74

#33 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:51 am

franktangredi wrote:Among the actors, one of the definites is wrong.

JEFFREY TAMBOR

Here's the wrong one....

TY BURRELL of Modern Family broke the Baldwin streak (he and William H Macy won after Baldwin but before Tambor)

mellytu74

#34 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:59 am

And the right church, wrong pew is this one....

BETTY FIELD?

It's not Betty Field in Picnic, it's ROSALIND RUSSELL in Picnic

mellytu74

#35 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 am

“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“Nuclear holocaust!”

This is JUNGLE FEVER

silverscreenselect

#36 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:44 am

jarnon wrote: A-78. Directors under whom this actress has worked include Ron Howard, Barbet Schroder, Taylor Hackford, Sam Mendes, Joel Coen, Robert Altman, and Quentin Tarantino.
JENNIFER JASON LEIGH

silverscreenselect

#37 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am

jarnon wrote:
JESSICA TANDY

Assuming that Jessica Tandy is correct, the movie in B-22 is BRUTE FORCE with Hume Cronyn.

ne1410s

#38 Post by ne1410s » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm

B 35 Pitch Perfect.

(Embarrassed)
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

silverscreenselect

#39 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:26 pm

franktangredi wrote: A-76. In addition to getting three Oscar nominations for acting, he has co-produced five movies that were nominated for Best Picture, including two that won.
Neither Douglas nor Eastwood has three acting nominations. I think it's Brad Pitt; he's got three acting nominations and he's produced a bunch of quality films.

jarnon

#40 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Since we’ve identified the wrong actors, the rest of them must be correct.

A-1. JIMMY STEWART
A-2.VANESSA REDGRAVE
A-3. MATT DAMON
A-4. CHARLES BRONSON
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK
A-6. VIVIEN LEIGH
A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE
A-11. JOHN MALKOVICH
A-12. ERIC STOLTZ
A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN

A-16. RITA HAYWORTH
A-17. BILL PULLMAN
A-18. TOM CONTI
A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM
A-20. HELEN MIRREN
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH

A-23. CLAUDE RAINS

TY BURRELL

A-25. RENEE ZELLWEGER
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY
A-27. SPENCER TRACY
A-28. ROBERT DONAT
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL
A-30. DON KNOTTS
A-31. MICHAEL CAINE
A-32. MARTHA SCOTT
A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY
A-34. TERENCE STAMP

SANDRA BULLOCK

A-36. GENE TIERNEY
A-37. PETER LORRE
A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS

A-40. JEAN ARTHUR
A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN
A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH
A-44. ROWAN ATKINSON
A-45. EVE ARDEN
A-46. DIANE KEATON
A-47. EDMUND GWENN
A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD
A-49. MICHAEL KEATON
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH

A-52. JULIE CHRISTIE
A-53. WILLIAM POWELL
A-54. NORMA SHEARER

JIM CARREY

A-56. CLIFTON WEBB

A-58. EVA GREEN
A-59. KEVIN COSTNER

ADAM SANDLER

A-62. ERIC BLORE
A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA
A-65. PETER O'TOOLE
A-66. RICKI LAKE
A-67. HENRY FONDA

A-69. GARY COOPER
A-70. JESSICA TANDY
A-71. ORSON WELLES
A-72. TOM SELLECK
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH
A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD

ROSALIND RUSSELL

BRAD PITT?

A-77. JAMES GARNER

JENNIFER JASON LEIGH

A-79. CARY GRANT
A-80. LILLIAN GISH

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

THE COURT JESTER?

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST

“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“Nuclear holocaust!”
JUNGLE FEVER

B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-11. OH, GOD!

THE WOMEN?

B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS

B-15. THE THIN MAN

THE INNOCENTS

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT
B-19. PHONE BOOTH

BRUTE FORCE

B-23. AMISTAD

BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
THE GRADUATE? BABY DOLL?

B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES

PITCH PERFECT

YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

B-45. SHANE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#41 Post by franktangredi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 pm

All the definites are correct on both lists.

Of the ones with a single question mark, everything is correct except one movie.

The ones with two alternates contain the correct answer.

Take a look at the original question for A-12. It contains a clue to one of the unidentified actors.
jarnon wrote:Since we’ve identified the wrong actors, the rest of them must be correct.

A-1. JIMMY STEWART
A-2.VANESSA REDGRAVE
A-3. MATT DAMON
A-4. CHARLES BRONSON
A-5. BARBARA STANWYCK
A-6. VIVIEN LEIGH
A-7. ROBIN WILLIAMS
A-8. SIDNEY POITIER
A-9. PAUL NEWMAN
A-10. SHIRLEY TEMPLE
A-11. JOHN MALKOVICH
A-12. ERIC STOLTZ
A-13. JESSICA CHASTAIN

A-16. RITA HAYWORTH
A-17. BILL PULLMAN
A-18. TOM CONTI
A-19. ROBERT MITCHUM
A-20. HELEN MIRREN
A-21. DAME JUDI DENCH

A-23. CLAUDE RAINS

TY BURRELL

A-25. RENEE ZELLWEGER
A-26. ROBERT MONTGOMERY
A-27. SPENCER TRACY
A-28. ROBERT DONAT
A-29. BILLY CRYSTAL
A-30. DON KNOTTS
A-31. MICHAEL CAINE
A-32. MARTHA SCOTT
A-33. GEORGE CLOONEY
A-34. TERENCE STAMP

SANDRA BULLOCK

A-36. GENE TIERNEY
A-37. PETER LORRE
A-38. RICHARD DREYFUSS

A-40. JEAN ARTHUR
A-41. DUSTIN HOFFMAN
A-42. ANGELINA JOLIE
A-43. FREDRIC MARCH
A-44. ROWAN ATKINSON
A-45. EVE ARDEN
A-46. DIANE KEATON
A-47. EDMUND GWENN
A-48. JOANNE WOODWARD
A-49. MICHAEL KEATON
A-50. SHIRLEY BOOTH

A-52. JULIE CHRISTIE
A-53. WILLIAM POWELL
A-54. NORMA SHEARER

JIM CARREY

A-56. CLIFTON WEBB

A-58. EVA GREEN
A-59. KEVIN COSTNER

ADAM SANDLER

A-62. ERIC BLORE
A-63. LESLIE NIELSEN
A-64. GINA LOLLABRIGIDA
A-65. PETER O'TOOLE
A-66. RICKI LAKE
A-67. HENRY FONDA

A-69. GARY COOPER
A-70. JESSICA TANDY
A-71. ORSON WELLES
A-72. TOM SELLECK
A-73. MAGGIE SMITH
A-74. CAROLE LOMBARD

ROSALIND RUSSELL

BRAD PITT?

A-77. JAMES GARNER

JENNIFER JASON LEIGH

A-79. CARY GRANT
A-80. LILLIAN GISH

B-1. CITIZEN KANE
B-2. LITTLE WOMEN

THE COURT JESTER?

B-5. FINDING NEMO
B-6. RED DUST

“H-bomb! H-bomb!”
“Nuclear holocaust!”
JUNGLE FEVER

B-8. NIGHT MUST FALL

B-11. OH, GOD!

THE WOMEN?

B-13. WEDDING CRASHERS

B-15. THE THIN MAN

THE INNOCENTS

B-18. ABOUT LAST NIGHT
B-19. PHONE BOOTH

BRUTE FORCE

B-23. AMISTAD

BONNIE AND CLYDE?

“What on?”
THE GRADUATE? BABY DOLL?

B-29. WAIT UNTIL DARK

B-32. DANCE, GIRL, DANCE
B-33. THE GODFATHER
B-34. THE X FILES

PITCH PERFECT

YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE?

B-37. A CHRISTMAS STORY
B-38. DELTA FORCE

B-40. THE YAKUZA
B-41. AIRPLANE
B-42. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

B-45. SHANE

mellytu74

#42 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:20 pm

franktangredi wrote:Take a look at the original question for A-12. It contains a clue to one of the unidentified actors.
OK - it was Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The other two stoners are Nicolas Cage and Anthony Edwards.

I am betting that it's Cage. He's won an Oscar, so maybe he's the answer to A-22.

How about JENNIFER JONES? She and Robert Walker had some lovely scenes in Since You Went Away and she married David O Selznick shortly afterward.

mellytu74

#43 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:24 pm

Probably THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP
__

This HAS to be right. In Ball of Fire (the movie her quote comes from in List A), Barbara Stanwyck asks Gary Cooper's professor looking for slang, if he knows what it is to get somebody on The Ameche.

Don Ameche played Bell.
__

Speaking of Stanwyck...

EDWARD G. ROBINSON? HARVEY KEITEL?"

Definitely Robinson. Double Indemnity, when he's talking to Fred MacMurray about what happens in Stanwyck's Phyllis sues them for the insurance money.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#44 Post by frogman042 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:05 pm

Coming in late - but I think I can contribute to a few:

100% Edward G Robinson in Double Indemnity

James Woods?

Sam Rockwell in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Gene Hackman (in the first Superman movie).

“What on?”
THE GRADUATE? BABY DOLL?
Almost certain it is not The Graduate

WAG - Bad Day at Black Rock?

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#45 Post by frogman042 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:14 pm

BTW - This question is wrong:

Sidney Poitier, IIRC from his autobiography that I read awhile ago - he was born in Florida - when his mother was in the states temporarily -but grew up in the Bahamas.

franktangredi

#46 Post by franktangredi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm

frogman042 wrote:BTW - This question is wrong:

Sidney Poitier, IIRC from his autobiography that I read awhile ago - he was born in Florida - when his mother was in the states temporarily -but grew up in the Bahamas.
Before I acknowledge a mistake, I would like to see his birth certificate.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#47 Post by frogman042 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Spitballing some ideas on the Tangredi

Red Dust - Dust anagrams to Stud - Edward G Robinson was in The Cincinnati Kid - which Stud Poker was the game they played.
Ricki Lake was in Cry Baby - and we have Baby Doll

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#48 Post by frogman042 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:33 pm

franktangredi wrote:

Before I acknowledge a mistake, I would like to see his birth certificate.
Long form or short form? I have some of my top people investigating it and they are finding some very interesting things - but I can't talk about it right now, but very soon.

mrkelley23

#49 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Sidney Poitier -- wonder why no one mentions him in the "Anchor Babies" discussion?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#50 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:35 pm

Don't know if this will help someone or not, but:

I believe the movie was The Happiest Millionaire. The only cast members I remember, however, were Fred MacMurray, Lesley Anne Warren, and John Davidson.

ALSO, Esto posted this:
This was either the 1st or 2nd Star Wars prequel - Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen) said it.

It was Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck