Barcelona:Auto-drive cars are going to make this even worse

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

Barcelona:Auto-drive cars are going to make this even worse

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:57 am

These terror attacks. Per Barcelona.

Per Charlottesville.

I'm surprised they're not using drones by *now*.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Barcelona:Auto-drive cars are going to make this even wo

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Seems like before they're approved for general use, auto-drive cars are likely to be equipped with mandatory safety features such as collision-avoidance systems and systems designed to actually keep them on the road. I'm not saying that such systems can't be defeated, but doing so will likely require at least a decent level of technical skill that might not be readily available. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Yah, I completely forgot about collision avoidance. I guess the. drivers stealing cars to kill people with will have to steal old cars that don't have this.

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 pm

The Independent wrote:A suspect in the terrorist attack in Barcelona has died in a shoot out with police on the outskirts of the city, according to a local paper.

La Vanguardia cited investigation sources who said the suspected terrorist died after fleeing the scene of the crime. He jumped in front of a police barricade and injured one officer before being caught in the town of Sant Just Desvern.
I don't know the saint that town is named after, but the killer got his Just Desvern all right.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 am

ghostjmf wrote:These terror attacks. Per Barcelona.

Per Charlottesville.

That would violate Asimov's Laws of Robotics.
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

danangel

#6 Post by danangel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 am

TheConfessor wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:These terror attacks. Per Barcelona.

Per Charlottesville.

That would violate Asimov's Laws of Robotics.
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.
Also, basically the whole plot/premise of RoboCop.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:02 am

I wish the industry were going to follow Asimov's Laws. They may currently be giving them lip service, but that's probably all.

And, as with human embryo-gene manipulation, whatever various medical conventions decide rogue states will disregard.