So, it's raining

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: So, it's raining

#26 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 am

Question for the locals: Any opinions on which charities have been most effective and efficient at providing relief? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#27 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:07 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:21 inches here so far
22.5 here (48 hours)
The video on FB looks scary. Be safe!
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#28 Post by BackInTex » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 pm

jarnon wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:21 inches here so far
22.5 here (48 hours)
The video on FB looks scary. Be safe!
Kids are proud of their FB "rockstar" dad with the 33K views so far.

I posted a video of the same spot this morning. Down about a foot and a half, but still rushing through.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#29 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I'm not a Texas lawyer so I can't evaluate the accuracy of this article from the Dallas News, but if it's right, it behooves anyone with an insurance claim to get it filed by Thursday. --Bob
This only applies to homeowners ins claims-roof leak, etc. It limits penaltiies if insur companies delay, etc. Can still file whenever. Does not apply to flood insurance, fema, claims. Just was clarified by spokesman
Well, then

Estonut
Evil Genius

#30 Post by Estonut » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 am

"Mattress Mack" shows Joel Osteen how it's done. His article doesn't mention that he was "asked by the city." He just did the right thing. Osteen, on the other hand, is having trouble getting his story straight.

Houston Businessman Turns His Furniture Stores Into Storm Shelters

Joel Osteen Says Megachurch Didn’t Open Earlier Because Houston ‘Didn’t Ask’
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#31 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'm not a Texas lawyer so I can't evaluate the accuracy of this article from the Dallas News, but if it's right, it behooves anyone with an insurance claim to get it filed by Thursday. --Bob
This only applies to homeowners ins claims-roof leak, etc. It limits penaltiies if insur companies delay, etc. Can still file whenever. Does not apply to flood insurance, fema, claims. Just was clarified by spokesman
I think the biggest impact in my area will be flooded cars, as those should be claims through auto insurance policies. I don't think flood insurance is required for that.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

andrewjackson

#32 Post by andrewjackson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:38 am

I live in Midtown Houston. That is just south of downtown. We got about 35" of rain locally since Friday according to the flood control gauges. The ones that are still in service that is. That's not as much as some places but on Saturday and Sunday night it was definitely a lot. My 3-story townhouse made it through OK. I never lost power. My street and garage flooded three times over the weekend but I only got 3-5" inches in my garage, nothing in the living area of the house. The water here drains pretty quickly, right into U.S. 59/I-69, so it went up and then right back down most of the time.

Lots of devastation across Houston but I've really only seen it on TV like everyone else. I walked downtown on Tuesday and then drove around a bit last night. It looks normal except that it is pretty empty and most of the traffic lights aren't working. In the theater district, which is where I work at the federal courthouse, they have tanker trucks pumping out some of the theater buildings. The underground parking in the area is all completely flooded. I don't know if the water got into the downtown tunnel system. They have improved that with floodgates since TS Allison 16 years ago so maybe not. The ramps onto the freeways in that part of town are still flooded so they have those streets blocked. That's all I have seen personally.

I am working from home this week (the work of the federal courts goes on) and they tell us the courthouse will probably open back up next Tuesday. We shall see.

My co-worker in Beaumont, TX has no power and now no water since Harvey decided to hammer them pretty hard after us.

Things are pretty terrible over a huge area.
No matter where you go, there you are.