A 22-year-old record has been tied

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

A 22-year-old record has been tied

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:18 am

"Despacito"--the ubiquitous Spanish-English pop song by Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, and a Canadian trainwreck--has notched its 16th consecutive week at #1 on the Hot 100, according to Billboard. This matches the all-time record set by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men with "One Sweet Day" from December 2, 1995-March 16, 1996.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... tin-bieber
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Appa23

Re: A 22-year-old record has been tied

#2 Post by Appa23 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:02 am

Only to get swatted down by T. Swift's "Look . . .".

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks, that's good to know as a likely future trivia question. I am so out of the loop on current pop music that most hit songs and artists come and go without ever entering my consciousness. It takes a monster breakout hit for me to be aware of it, so I found the top 10 YouTube video to be very informative and did not realize that Billboard posts a new one each week.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... rd+hot+100

On the current weekly top ten, I've actually heard three of these songs (more than I'd expect) and would be quite content never to hear the others except for the tremendous void that would leave in my trivia knowledge. I used to be pretty good at this stuff. Aren't there any new songs by Men At Work? What about Bananarama?

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 pm

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

triviawayne

#5 Post by triviawayne » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:57 am

TheConfessor wrote:Thanks, that's good to know as a likely future trivia question. I am so out of the loop on current pop music that most hit songs and artists come and go without ever entering my consciousness. It takes a monster breakout hit for me to be aware of it, so I found the top 10 YouTube video to be very informative and did not realize that Billboard posts a new one each week.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... rd+hot+100

On the current weekly top ten, I've actually heard three of these songs (more than I'd expect) and would be quite content never to hear the others except for the tremendous void that would leave in my trivia knowledge. I used to be pretty good at this stuff. Aren't there any new songs by Men At Work? What about Bananarama?
Spotify has a Hot 100 Playlist, so that's a great place to hear just as little or as much of any Hot 100 song you want. Billboard.com is good to go to once a week just to hover the mouse pointer over the placement to see how long a song has been there.

To keep up with current pop culture, I glance through TMZ every day, and once a week go to these sites:

NYT for top selling books
boxofficemojo to keep an eye on how much movies are raking in
tvbythenumbers to check what shows are most popular overall and with the key demo

and every saturday, imdb to watch previews of movies in the top 10. I figure if they didn't make the top ten in any given week, it would be a rare trivia question asked about a movie.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 am

TheConfessor wrote: Aren't there any new songs by Men At Work?

No, but former frontman Colin Hay is still "At Work":

https://www.amazon.com/Fierce-Mercy-Col ... 01MTSARG0/

Here's a song from it. Not the goofy, upbeat sound of Who Can It Be Now or Down Under, but it's a nice tune..

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

K.P.

#7 Post by K.P. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:10 pm

Fun fact looking at that article. When "We Belong Together" made it for 14 weeks in 2005, Mariah was looking good to break her own record.

One of my favorite Billboard facts, which I think is worthy on a Million Dollar Question, is that Whitney Houston's "Exhale" is possibly, for lack of a better term, the most "cock-blocked" song in history. It enjoyed just one week at number one, and then eleven straight weeks at number two. All eleven of those weeks, it ran second-best to "One Sweet Day."

triviawayne

#8 Post by triviawayne » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:58 am

K.P. wrote:Fun fact looking at that article. When "We Belong Together" made it for 14 weeks in 2005, Mariah was looking good to break her own record.

One of my favorite Billboard facts, which I think is worthy on a Million Dollar Question, is that Whitney Houston's "Exhale" is possibly, for lack of a better term, the most "cock-blocked" song in history. It enjoyed just one week at number one, and then eleven straight weeks at number two. All eleven of those weeks, it ran second-best to "One Sweet Day."
End of the Road by Boys to Men in 1992 blocked two songs during it's run. #2 was (I think) Waterfalls and #3 was November Rain. I remember these songs being 1,2,3 for a few weeks in a row.

Not sure where you'd find that easily enough to confirm my memory.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 am

triviawayne wrote:
K.P. wrote:Fun fact looking at that article. When "We Belong Together" made it for 14 weeks in 2005, Mariah was looking good to break her own record.

End of the Road by Boys to Men in 1992 blocked two songs during it's run. #2 was (I think) Waterfalls and #3 was November Rain. I remember these songs being 1,2,3 for a few weeks in a row.

I found this website not too long ago that's a treasure trove for Billboard Hot 100 fanatics...

https://weeklytop40.wordpress.com/

End of the Road, Baby Baby Baby and November Rain were only 1-2-3 for two weeks in late 1992, though BabyX3 did get cock blocked by the Boyz for a month and a half...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

K.P.

#10 Post by K.P. » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:20 pm

littlebeast13 wrote: I found this website not too long ago that's a treasure trove for Billboard Hot 100 fanatics...

Absolutely sensational find there, beast! I'll have a lot of fun looking through that.

And on March 23, 1996, the week that One Sweet Day was finally unseated, look who's sneaking in to the party at number eleven!

triviawayne

#11 Post by triviawayne » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:21 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

I found this website not too long ago that's a treasure trove for Billboard Hot 100 fanatics...

End of the Road, Baby Baby Baby and November Rain were only 1-2-3 for two weeks in late 1992, though BabyX3 did get cock blocked by the Boyz for a month and a half...

lb13
only two weeks? wow, i would've sworn it was longer.

great find though!

K.P.

#12 Post by K.P. » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Looks like Taylor Swift has put a stop to the Despacito juggernaut this week.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... cito-short