RIP Rollie Massimino

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

RIP Rollie Massimino

#1 Post by jarnon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:26 pm

He coached the Villanova basketball team from 1973 to 1992, winning the NCAA championship in 1985. He died at age 82 from lung cancer.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

elwoodblues

Re: RIP Rollie Massimino

#2 Post by elwoodblues » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 pm

And just the other day Jud Heathcote, the former Michigan State basketball coach whose team won the 1979 title, died. The '79 title game was the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird game, the game that helped turn the NCAA Tournament into one of the country's most popular sporting events.

SpacemanSpiff

#3 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:03 am

Unfortunately, Rollie was my fashion role model.

He was notorious, back in the days that coaches wore suits to courtside*, of showing up at warm ups and tip-off looking fairly dapper. By the first TV break, he was looking a little frumpy. By halftime, he looked like he'd been sleeping all week in the suit. I seem to have the same effect on clothing.

* Don't blame the coaches or changing fashion trends for the lack of suits anymore; blame the shoe companies for the change in coaches' gamewear. Nike doesn't make suits, ties, and dress shoes, but they make polo shirts and sneakers and such.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:45 am

elwoodblues wrote:And just the other day Jud Heathcote, the former Michigan State basketball coach whose team won the 1979 title, died. The '79 title game was the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird game, the game that helped turn the NCAA Tournament into one of the country's most popular sporting events.
He somehow leveraged a 13-12 season coaching at Montana to earn the head coaching job at Michigan State. I don't think that would happen today.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:19 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:Unfortunately, Rollie was my fashion role model.

He was notorious, back in the days that coaches wore suits to courtside*, of showing up at warm ups and tip-off looking fairly dapper. By the first TV break, he was looking a little frumpy. By halftime, he looked like he'd been sleeping all week in the suit. I seem to have the same effect on clothing.

* Don't blame the coaches or changing fashion trends for the lack of suits anymore; blame the shoe companies for the change in coaches' gamewear. Nike doesn't make suits, ties, and dress shoes, but they make polo shirts and sneakers and such.

Don't blame Larry Brown:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Vandal wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:Unfortunately, Rollie was my fashion role model.

Don't blame Larry Brown:

They should make the coaches in all sports wear the same uniforms as their players. Baseball has it right...

And unless it is Turn Back the Clock Night, nobody (players, coaches, officials, fans) should ever be wearing a suit anywhere near a sporting event....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com