Flooding in my neighborhood

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Flooding in my neighborhood

#1 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:37 am

The first video I shot with my GoPro on Monday night showing the water rushing into my section of my neighborhood. The second I shot with my Iphone to get some audio and to be able to upload to FB (now shared over 800 times and 70K views).

This water came from Cypress Creek. We are not in the watershed for Cypress Creek. That creek not only came out of its banks, but completely out of its watershed. It came up over the top of its watershed at the front of our neighborhood by 2-3 ft. That created a raging river of the boulevard that enters our neighborhood. That boulevard is 2 lanes each way with a 15 ft median and 40-60 feet of area on either side, so about 200 feet across. The entire boulevard was 5-7 ft deep with water moving about 15 mph. As it got to the entrance of my section, it created a set of rapids down through the entrance and the water inundated the streets of my section traveling about 1/2 mile to the other side, exiting my section into another until it met back up with the water in the boulevard "downstream" before making its way to the drainage channel.

The water came into our section with a vengeance around 3:00AM Monday and continued until about 4:00PM Tuesday when the flow could be handled by the initial drain at that entrance. Once the flow slowed, our section drained completely in about 45 minutes. It was pretty amazing to watch.

The depth at the gate is about 4ft. The water in the street in parts of my section was over 6ft.

As I posted in my B-day thread, the water level got within 8 inches of the top of my foundation.

GoPro Video

Iphone video

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Flooding in my neighborhood

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Sorry about your neighbors' troubles. I'm glad the water didn't reach your house.

Let me repeat a question I've asked in another thread, without response. What organizations in your area are providing relief efficiently and effectively? I'm planning to donate but I have concerns about the American Red Cross. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#3 Post by Vandal » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:20 pm

I can't even imagine...

Let's hope for quick drainage and timely repairs.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Sorry about your neighbors' troubles. I'm glad the water didn't reach your house.

Let me repeat a question I've asked in another thread, without response. What organizations in your area are providing relief efficiently and effectively? I'm planning to donate but I have concerns about the American Red Cross. --Bob
I donated locally to our Interfaith and Salvation Army.
Well, then

themanintheseersuckersuit

#5 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 pm

If anyone has the address of a good local charity at the site of the next disaster please post it.
Last edited by themanintheseersuckersuit on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

geoffil

#6 Post by geoffil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:12 pm

Glad to hear you are safe.

Are you in The Woodlands?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 pm

geoffil wrote:Glad to hear you are safe.

Are you in The Woodlands?
BiT isn't. I am.
Well, then

geoffil

#8 Post by geoffil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Beebs,

How is your neighborhood? My parents used to live in Creekside Park. Did that area stay dry?

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

geoffil wrote:Beebs,

How is your neighborhood? My parents used to live in Creekside Park. Did that area stay dry?
Unfortunately parts of it flooded bad. Spring Creek...Kuykendahl is finally passable.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Oh, we're fine. Had 32 inches but it drains.
Well, then

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:12 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Sorry about your neighbors' troubles. I'm glad the water didn't reach your house.

Thanks Bob.

I really don't know the answer for you. It is a personal one. Here is an article that discusses the many ways to donate.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:11 pm

My daughter (the one that's 44 now) lives in Ft. Worth. She's now a certified phlebotomist and has been volunteering for the Red Cross. Tuesday she was called up to staff the Dallas Convention Center which is being used for flood refugee housing.

While the Red Cross has had some problems in the past, it's in disasters such as this that they really come through and do far more than anybody else.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:35 pm

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:04 pm

Once again, fuck you you slimeball.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Once again, fuck you you slimeball.
And to edit, put your expert Quartz based city planning discussion in another thread. Give your expert advice to all other communities that will NEVER experience unprecedented floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, 3 mile islands, (insert disaster here) to the city planners. Cause you ARE da man for infrastructure.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 pm

BackInTex wrote:

Thanks Bob.

I really don't know the answer for you. It is a personal one. Here is an article that discusses the many ways to donate.
Thanks. The link is helpful. These organizations all look worthy. Any red flags about any of them that may not have made the national news? I'd like my contribution to be as helpful as possible as opposed to paying unnecessary administrative fees. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Thanks Bob.

Thanks. The link is helpful. These organizations all look worthy. Any red flags about any of them that may not have made the national news? I'd like my contribution to be as helpful as possible as opposed to paying unnecessary administrative fees. --Bob
You'll probably have to research the various entities yourself. Even local sorts like us need to do due diligence. And I understand the Amer Red Cross hesitation.
Well, then

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:43 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Thanks Bob.

You'll probably have to research the various entities yourself. Even local sorts like us need to do due diligence. And I understand the Amer Red Cross hesitation.
My support goes to a couple local churches who have sent teams of volunteers out to help. Many I've worked along side with the past two days. But I'm sure any of those are worthy.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:52 am

BackInTex wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Thanks. The link is helpful. These organizations all look worthy. Any red flags about any of them that may not have made the national news? I'd like my contribution to be as helpful as possible as opposed to paying unnecessary administrative fees. --Bob
My support goes to a couple local churches who have sent teams of volunteers out to help. Many I've worked along side with the past two days. But I'm sure any of those are worthy.
Thanks. The Houston Food Bank seems like a reasonable choice. --Bob