The Cardiac Bruins strike

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

The Cardiac Bruins strike

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:02 am

Maybe I need to make some time to watch college football this year. Especially if the offensive line can keep Josh Rosen healthy. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: The Cardiac Bruins strike

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:10 am

The Arizona Wildcats beat NAU 62-24 Saturday.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 am

Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin moves to the top of the list for the first coach to get his walking papers this season.

Second biggest comeback in Division I-A (FBS) history. UCLA trailed 44-10 in the third quarter and scored 35 consecutive points to end the game.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:01 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin moves to the top of the list for the first coach to get his walking papers this season.

Second biggest comeback in Division I-A (FBS) history. UCLA trailed 44-10 in the third quarter and scored 35 consecutive points to end the game.
In homage to aj, I'd describe it as UCLA scoring 35 unanswered points to win the game. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Texas A&M's Kevin Sumlin moves to the top of the list for the first coach to get his walking papers this season.

He should have received those papers at the end of last season, IMO. That was the worst case of coaching I've seen in a long time. After our starting redshirt freshan QB was hurt they put in the more athletic true freshman. He had a lot of success early running, but clearly could not close out the game. We should have put in our senior to take control. He might not have scored but I think he would have kept us on the field a little longer. Now the true freshman probably has PTSD.

If we get rid of Sumlin, it will have been worth it.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

In homage to aj, I'd describe it as UCLA scoring 35 unanswered points to win the game.
Spoiler
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

In homage to aj, I'd describe it as UCLA scoring 35 unanswered points to win the game.
Spoiler

Plus, I believe aj was only bothered by the use of "unanswered" to describe a scoring string that was broken up by the other team finally scoring again. I'd assume from the description that A&M did not score again once the comeback started, so this actually was a case of 35 unanswered points being scored...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:17 pm

littlebeast13 wrote: I'd assume from the description that A&M did not score again once the comeback started, so this actually was a case of 35 unanswered points being scored...

lb13
No, A&M answered, but the answer was always "Yeah, that was quick, here's the ball back, bet you can't do it again."
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:30 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:In homage to aj, I'd describe it as UCLA scoring 35 unanswered points to win the game.
Spoiler

Plus, I believe aj was only bothered by the use of "unanswered" to describe a scoring string that was broken up by the other team finally scoring again. I'd assume from the description that A&M did not score again once the comeback started, so this actually was a case of 35 unanswered points being scored...

lb13
Precisely my point. It's an appropriate use of "unanswered." --Bob

andrewjackson

#10 Post by andrewjackson » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Yep, UCLA did, in fact, score 35 unanswered. As long as they said that after Texas A&M failed on their last possession and not as soon as UCLA scored their 35th point it was an OK usage.

My objection has two elements. 1. When the announcer uses it for consecutive points even though the other team did, in fact, answer the last score. 2. When the announcer uses it before the other team even has a chance to answer.
No matter where you go, there you are.

TheConfessor

#11 Post by TheConfessor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:21 pm

andrewjackson wrote:Yep, UCLA did, in fact, score 35 unanswered. As long as they said that after Texas A&M failed on their last possession and not as soon as UCLA scored their 35th point it was an OK usage.

My objection has two elements. 1. When the announcer uses it for consecutive points even though the other team did, in fact, answer the last score. 2. When the announcer uses it before the other team even has a chance to answer.
Good to see you here, AJ. Did you play in the Challenge Trivia championships in New Orleans last month? It sounded like the early rounds were pretty insignificant compared to the final question (which I happened to get right when someone shared it with me). There are a couple of Challenge Trivia locations in Austin, but I have only played it a couple of times. I always like to support alternatives to Geeks Who Drink.

andrewjackson

#12 Post by andrewjackson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

TheConfessor wrote: Good to see you here, AJ. Did you play in the Challenge Trivia championships in New Orleans last month? It sounded like the early rounds were pretty insignificant compared to the final question (which I happened to get right when someone shared it with me). There are a couple of Challenge Trivia locations in Austin, but I have only played it a couple of times. I always like to support alternatives to Geeks Who Drink.
We did not go to the tournament in New Orleans. I had a family reunion in Indiana and a wedding in Michigan last month. My usual teammates were also out town a lot last month so we just skipped it this year.

The final question is what almost always determines the tournament. I like the Challenge format and type of questions except for that aspect. Our locations keep getting rid of the game so we have been bouncing around a lot this year in Houston. I've pretty much given upon Geeks Who Drink. I have been playing at some bars that do their own games. Uneven question quality but the weirdness makes it fun sometimes.
No matter where you go, there you are.