Someone Got Into My Amazon Account

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Someone Got Into My Amazon Account

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 am

That's really annoying.

For the last week or so, I noticed that items kept showing up in my shopping cart, all of them different types of Smartphone cases, sometimes three or four at once. I deleted them but for some dumb reason thought this was some type of glitch and that I was causing this by going to a cached page.

Then this morning a fake review showed up allegedly from me that was actually posted while I was online working on my website, not on Amazon. It was for an iPhone charging cable, again something I never bought from a company I never heard of. This time I figured it out and deleted the review and changed the password. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to contact Amazon before I left for work this morning, but I'll do so now. I looked up the item and it has 42 reviews, all five-stars, all written in a style similar to "my" review.

I hadn't bought any physical items from Amazon in a couple of months, and checked that there weren't any recent orders, but this whole thing is very annoying (although I'm grateful there was no real damage done).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: Someone Got Into My Amazon Account

#2 Post by Vandal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:24 am

They must have had an equally good disguise:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

_ARMENIAN_
Merry Man

#3 Post by _ARMENIAN_ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:46 am

silverscreenselect wrote:That's really annoying.

For the last week or so, I noticed that items kept showing up in my shopping cart, all of them different types of Smartphone cases, sometimes three or four at once. I deleted them but for some dumb reason thought this was some type of glitch and that I was causing this by going to a cached page.

Then this morning a fake review showed up allegedly from me that was actually posted while I was online working on my website, not on Amazon. It was for an iPhone charging cable, again something I never bought from a company I never heard of. This time I figured it out and deleted the review and changed the password. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to contact Amazon before I left for work this morning, but I'll do so now. I looked up the item and it has 42 reviews, all five-stars, all written in a style similar to "my" review.

I hadn't bought any physical items from Amazon in a couple of months, and checked that there weren't any recent orders, but this whole thing is very annoying (although I'm grateful there was no real damage done).

I am with Amazon and would like to help you through this issue. Please just provide me with your new password, and I will be happy to assist you...
Be nice to me or I'll unleash the hackers and virusers!

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 am

_ARMENIAN_ wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:That's really annoying.

I am with Amazon and would like to help you through this issue. Please just provide me with your new password, and I will be happy to assist you...
You sound honest so I trust you.

I'm using a spoiler code to keep it secret:
Spoiler
PASSWORD

jaybee

#5 Post by jaybee » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:08 pm

OK, color me confused.

What would be the reason for someone who has hacked into your account with them leaving reviews? It seems that all this would do is call attention to the fact that somebody hacked your account (which is exactly what happened).
Jaybee

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:29 pm

jaybee wrote:OK, color me confused.

What would be the reason for someone who has hacked into your account with them leaving reviews? It seems that all this would do is call attention to the fact that somebody hacked your account (which is exactly what happened).
It sounds like they hacked into a lot of people's account in order to create an artificial flood of good reviews for a product. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:50 pm

jaybee wrote:OK, color me confused.

Most people aren't as anal retentive as I am about checking up on my status, so I check my profile a couple of times a day to see if my rankings change. The thing is that even if you don't check your profile, Amazon sends you a confirming e-mail saying Thanks for Submitting a Review of the Acme Power Blaster. So, I would think most people would notice that.

The weird thing is that the item I "reviewed" had 42 reviews, all 5-star that looked to me like the few I looked at were all written by the same person.

I'm sending a notice to Amazon tonight about the whole thing.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 am

Amazon has now suspended the seller of the product that my "review" was posted to. If I click directly on the link to the product, it still shows up, along with the 50 other 5-star reviews but it says the item is "currently unavailable," and a generalized search for the seller or item doesn't turn up any products.