This appears troubling

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

This appears troubling

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:56 am

According to this story from The Sunflower (which I believe to be the student newspaper of Wichita State), a doctoral student named Sattar Ali was arrested when he attempted to deposit a $151,000 check from the sale of his old house. Most troubling, according to the report, his family was arrested as well. All were released a few hours later when the legitimacy of the check was confirmed.

Is there a rest of the story, or does the newspaper have this more or less correct? Because this seems to be a case of someone being arrested for banking while Middle Eastern. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

Re: This appears troubling

#2 Post by BackInTex » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Horrible journalism.

Every sentence, except for two are "Ali said" or a quote of his. The other two are likely "facts" as given to the "reporter" by Ali himself.

Not one comment from the bank or police. Not one.

I suspect Ali would not say "I've been an active member in CAIR or the Islamic Brotherhood", or Ali would say "My 1st cousin is #3 on the terrorist watch list."

I'm not saying he is anything but an innocent victim but the article you found linked on some liberal blog or website you frequent is a horrible reference.

It seems to me to be a case of someone of Middle Eastern descent making something racial that may not be.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:34 pm

BackInTex wrote:Horrible journalism.

Every sentence, except for two are "Ali said" or a quote of his. The other two are likely "facts" as given to the "reporter" by Ali himself.

I suspect Ali would not say "I've been an active member in CAIR or the Islamic Brotherhood", or Ali would say "My 1st cousin is #3 on the terrorist watch list."

I'm not saying he is anything but an innocent victim but the article you found linked on some liberal blog or website you frequent is a horrible reference.

It seems to me to be a case of someone of Middle Eastern descent making something racial that may not be.
I take your point about the story's sourcing. But the key assertion (to me) is that the guy's family were arrested as well. That is (or should be) readily verifiable, and it's hard for me to come up with an acceptable explanation.

In any event, if there is more to the story, such as a response from the bank or from police, I'd be interested to hear it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

I take your point about the story's sourcing. But the key assertion (to me) is that the guy's family were arrested as well. That is (or should be) readily verifiable, and it's hard for me to come up with an acceptable explanation.

In any event, if there is more to the story, such as a response from the bank or from police, I'd be interested to hear it. --Bob
FWIW, the New York Daily News printed the story: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3489883

15 police cars?!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

FWIW, the New York Daily News printed the story: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3489883

15 police cars?!
Thanks. It looks like the statements from the bank and from the police confirm the essential accuracy of the article. --Bob