Transcript 9/13/17a Tyler Crosby (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/13/17a Tyler Crosby (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:45 pm

Tyler Crosby
Teacher
Boston, Mass.

$10,000
Since 1886, about 40% of all the gold mined worldwide has come from Witwatersrand Basin, which is found in what country?
A: India B: South Africa
C: Brazil D: Australia

Spoiler
B: South Africa

$20,000
What comes next in this sequence: Harvey Milk, Bad Blake, King George VI, George Valentin, ___?
A: Napoleon Bonaparte B: William Shakespeare
C: Abraham Lincoln D: Thomas Edison

Tyler recognizes the names as
Spoiler
roles that won Oscars.

Spoiler
C: Abraham Lincoln

$30,000
Sixteenth-century Italian scientist Bartolomeo Eustachi is the namesake of an anatomical structure most closely associated with which body part?
A: The eye B: The nose
C: The ear D: The mouth

Spoiler
C: The ear

Commercial break

$50,000
National Geographic reports that about 4,000 people have summited Mt. Everest, meaning that more people have reached the top than have done what?
A: Run in the NYC Marathon B: Become an Eagle Scout
C: Won Olympic Gold Medals D: Been a U.S. Senator

Spoiler
Tyler reasons that over 4,000 people run the NYC Marathon every year, there are lots of Eagle Scouts, and hundreds of Olympic gold medals are given out every two years. He teaches about the Senate in civics class, and getting this wrong would be embarrassing.

Spoiler
D: Been a U.S. Senator

Commercial break

$100,000
While it takes the Earth 24 hours to make one full rotation on its axis, about how long does it take the Sun, at its equator, to do the same thing?
A: 25 hours B: 25 days
C: 25 months D: 25 years

Spoiler
50/50 leaves 25 days and 25 months. Tyler says the Sun does things fast.

Spoiler
B: 25 days

Commercial break

QotD
Of all the 12 zodiac signs, which one is symbolized by the creature with the most legs?
A: Capricorn, the goat B: Cancer, the crab
C: Scorpio, the scorpion D: Gemini, the twins

Spoiler
B: Cancer, the crab

$250,000
Which of the following people was alive during the lifetimes of both the 2nd president - John Adams - and the 40th - Ronald Reagan?
A: Karl Marx B: Charles Dickens
C: Harriet Tubman D: John D. Rockefeller

Spoiler
Tyler says Adams died in the 1820s and Reagan was born around 1910. His +1 Ginny thinks it’s Tubman because she lived to be almost 100 years old. Tyler can’t risk losing $50,000, so he walks away.

Spoiler
C: Harriet Tubman
Tyler wins $100,000.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 9/13/17a Tyler Crosby (carryover)

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:54 am

20K: I mighta needed + 1 here. Dunno Bad Blake or Valentin.

50K: Reasoning same as contestant's

100K: throw my remaining lifelines at it, but leave.

250K: My reasoning same as contestant's +1, but I did not know Tubman had lived 100+ years. Would not have guessed.

Tyler did good.

earendel

Re: Transcript 9/13/17a Tyler Crosby (carryover)

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Tyler Crosby
Teacher
Boston, Mass.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
What comes next in this sequence: Harvey Milk, Bad Blake, King George VI, George Valentin, ___?
A: Napoleon Bonaparte B: William Shakespeare
C: Abraham Lincoln D: Thomas Edison

Tyler recognizes the names as
Spoiler
roles that won Oscars.

Spoiler
C: Abraham Lincoln
I was watching this in our building's cafeteria with the sound down so I didn't hear the interchange between Tyler & Chris. I wouldn't have had any idea - I'd try ATA first and hope for the best.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000
Sixteenth-century Italian scientist Bartolomeo Eustachi is the namesake of an anatomical structure most closely associated with which body part?
A: The eye B: The nose
C: The ear D: The mouth
Spoiler
C: The ear
Had I not known this from my mother's medical books, I would have known it from an episode of M*A*S*H. Sgt. Kimball wants to ship home a bunch of stuff to open a Korean restaurant, and wants to go home by boat. He asks Hawkeye to sign a paper stating that Kimball has "eustoochian tube dysfunction" and can't fly because the air pressure would affect his hearing.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000
Which of the following people was alive during the lifetimes of both the 2nd president - John Adams - and the 40th - Ronald Reagan?
A: Karl Marx B: Charles Dickens
C: Harriet Tubman D: John D. Rockefeller
Spoiler
Tyler says Adams died in the 1820s and Reagan was born around 1910. His +1 Ginny thinks it’s Tubman because she lived to be almost 100 years old. Tyler can’t risk losing $50,000, so he walks away.

Spoiler
C: Harriet Tubman
Tyler wins $100,000.
His reasoning was sound, and his +1 gave him the right answer. Too bad he didn't go for it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."