Bored Fitness Peeps

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)

Treadmill vs. Elliptical

Treadmill
25%
Elliptical
50%
WGAS
25%

Total votes: 16

christie1111
11:11

Bored Fitness Peeps

#1 Post by christie1111 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:31 am

I earned some money by altering some drapes for my husband's boss. They were really expensive drapes that were 'custom made' but didn't fit the windows properly.

I billed him for $250 and he thought I didn't charge him enough so he paid me $460! And sent me a nice note of thanks for a great job. Kewl!

So, I want to buy a piece of exercise equipment because my good intentions of getting outside and walking isn't working but I could convince myself to exercise while I watch my taped quilting program.

I think I can add enough to spend about $800.

Thought for those who have an opinion?
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 am

I voted for the elliptical, because it has much less impact on the joints. I can't jog (on a treadmill or outside) because I'd be limping away in no time. But this is really a personal preference thing. Have you tried both types of machines at a gym or someplace before? Which one suits you better?
Last edited by MarleysGh0st on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:36 am

I didn't see the option for lugging two hernia jugs of detergent at one time, so I voted for my favorite station...

lb13

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#4 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:42 am

I have never been on an elliptical in my life, but my husband uses one at the gym. I had a treadmill, and it was so noisy you had to crank the TV sky-high to hear over the noise. And it seemed to take a week to walk 3 miles when it normally takes and hour outside. Then it broke.

Treadmills are so boring. I'd rather have a hamster wheel than another one...

Ritterskoop

Re: Bored Fitness Peeps

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 am

christie1111 wrote:I earned some money by altering some drapes for my husband's boss. They were really expensive drapes that were 'custom made' but didn't fit the windows properly.

I billed him for $250 and he thought I didn't charge him enough so he paid me $460! And sent me a nice note of thanks for a great job. Kewl!

So, I want to buy a piece of excersize equipment because my good intentions of getting outside and walking isn't working but I could convince myself to excersize while I watch my taped quilting program.

I think I can add enough to spend about $800.

Thought for those who have an opinion?
Whichever one you will use. I have heard a few trainer-types say the treadmill mimics walking better, and the elliptical mimics running more closely (without the knee stress). The treadmill can be plenty taxing, if you start changing the incline and like that. Either is as easy or hard as you want it to be.

I have not priced either, but my sense is for that money you are probably going to get a better-quality treadmill.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Squashed Hamster
Merry Man

#6 Post by Squashed Hamster » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 am

minimetoo26 wrote:Treadmills are so boring. I'd rather have a hamster wheel than another one...
You can have mine, and the toothchipping water bottle that goes with it...

Mr. Hamster

peacock2121

#7 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:51 am

My personal preference is for an elliptical.

I am questioning whether yours would be.

In the beginning, the elliptical will kick your butt - I mean kick your butt. You will not be able to go for as long as you think you "should" be able to go. My concern would be that you would quit using it before it got "easier" and you would be back to doing nothing.

I would get a treadmill if I were you and then if you become interested in changing things up, get an ellitical next year.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#8 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:41 am

I would go with the treadmill because it can be used by anybody at any fitness level and is less likely to seem intimidating to other members of your family.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:42 am

Buy an old hand crank ice cream maker. Satisfy both your good and bad desires at the same time.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:54 am

BackInTex wrote:Buy an old hand crank ice cream maker. Satisfy both your good and bad desires at the same time.
Now here's a man who can think out of the box!

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:10 am

Definitely elliptical. We were also considering a treadmill until BD suggested the elliptical, and don't regret the choice at all. You get some upper body work if you use the "ski poles", it's easy on the knees, you can go forward or backward (the latter NOT so easy on the knees), and with some models, you can adjust the incline on the fly, without having to stop.

We've got a NordicTrak 990 (at least I think that's the number), the top of the line sold at Sears. We also sprung for the extra warranty coverage, because it also covers standard tune-ups once a year, besides any repairs. Dunno the prices now, but I'll bet they'll come down soon when the newer models start coming out.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Sir_Galahad

#12 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:47 am

I currently have a treadmill. It is one of those that can go on an incline and vary speeds as desired. However, I am Bored with it and may be looking to trade it in at one of those Play it Again sports shops (we have one nearby) for either an elliptical or some sort of stair climber, if I can find one. I still do my morning power walk of 2 - 3 miles when the weather and my time schedule permits, though.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#13 Post by cindy.wellman » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:30 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I would go with the treadmill because it can be used by anybody at any fitness level and is less likely to seem intimidating to other members of your family.

True, but for a klutz like me, treadmills are scary! For that reason, as well as being easy on the joints, I like the elliptical.

mrkelley23

#14 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:10 pm

A year ago, I would have said treadmill without a doubt. Now that my feet are about to fall off, I would probably say elliptical, unless you can swear that the only exercise you will do on it is walking. My two cents.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bixby17

#15 Post by Bixby17 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

I voted for eliptical.

Usually you can get a better quality eliptical for a cheaper price than what you can get a treadmill.

Cheap elipticals I can exercise on. I hate cheap treadmills.

Also, it is nice as far as cross-training. You can walk outside, and eliptical inside. Two different forms of exercise. If you get the eliptical with the arm function, it is nice for that too. And you can go backwards to catch different muscles. You can go backwards on a treadmill, but I don't trust myself with that safetywise because I am a clutz.

I like doing different sorts of training so that your body doesn't develop muscle imbalances.

Sir_Galahad

#16 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:23 pm

So, now we know we have at least 2 klutzes in the group. Perhaps that should have been a fourth selection. :?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...