Transcript 9/15/17A Daniel Donohue (dandon)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/15/17A Daniel Donohue (dandon)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:40 pm

MI - 16005ii

Daniel Donohue (new BB dandon)
Los Angeles, CA
Daniel is a writer.

$500
Which of these is a Grammy-winning song recorded by Shania Twain, and NOT a book written by Mark Twain?
A: Pudd'nhead Wilson B: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
C: Man! I Feel Like A Woman! D: The Prince and the Pauper

Spoiler
C: Man! I Feel Like A Woman!

$1,000
On Senate.gov, you can find the recipe used daily to make the Senate cafeteria's signature dish, "The Famous Senate Restaurant" what?
A: Sex scandal succotash B: Legislative gridlock grilled cheese
C: Illegal campaign contribution carrot cake D: Bean soup

Spoiler
D: Bean soup

$2,000
What popular blog started by Pascale Lemire features signs that say things like "I tried to eat the brown throw pillow" and "I pooped in the neighbour's garden"?
A: People of Walmart B: Dog Shaming
C: First World Problems D: PerezHilton

Spoiler
B: Dog Shaming

$3,000
According to Quartz.com, over the past 60 years the need for which of these occupations has completely disappeared thanks to automation?
A: Elevator operator B: Window washer
C: Court stenographer D: Parking attendant

Daniel says it's been a long time since he's seen
Spoiler
elevator operators but they still exist. Some buildings have self-cleaning windows but window washers and the other two still exist.

Spoiler
A: 82% B: 7% C: 9% D: 2%

He doesn't understand why but he trusts the audience.
Spoiler
A: Elevator operator

$5,000
Believed to be Earth's oldest living vertebrate (and also an Icelandic delicacy), scientists recently discovered an approximately 400-year-old what?
A: Eurasian tundra reindeer B: Emperor penguin
C: Galápagos tortoise D: Greenland shark

Spoiler
D: Greenland shark

Second commercial break

$7,000
What star of FX's "Atlanta" actually has roots in the city, having grown up in its suburb of Stone Mountain?
A: Donald Faison B: Donald Glover
C: Donnie Wahlberg D: Don Johnson

Spoiler
B: Donald Glover

$10,000
To win the jackpots in the Powerball and Mega Millions lotteries, you must match the special "Powerball" and "Mega Ball," which are what colors, respectively?
A: Orange & silver B: Blue & green
C: Red & gold D: Black & gray

Daniel literally has no idea and wishes he still had his ATA for this one. Before the answers came up he thought of
Spoiler
green
& he's pretty sure his +1 wouldn't know this.
Spoiler
Daniel guesses blue & green.
The correct answer is C: Red & gold
Richard wins $5,000

Third commercial break
QotD wrote: Consumed by an estimated 90% of North American adults each day, what does The Atlantic claim to be "the world's most popular drug"?
A: Aspirin B: Nicotine
C: Caffeine D: Alcohol

Spoiler
C: Caffeine
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agrajag

Re: Transcript 9/15/17A Daniel Donohue

#2 Post by Agrajag » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:56 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$3,000
According to Quartz.com, over the past 60 years the need for which of these occupations has completely disappeared thanks to automation?

Spoiler
elevator operators but they still exist. Some buildings have self-cleaning windows but window washers and the other two still exist.

Spoiler

Spoiler
I think Daniel believes
Spoiler
the mechanics of an Otis elevator is called an elevator operator. I almost wonder if he wasn't thinking about the guys whose job it was to stand and take passengers up and down...

K.P.

#3 Post by K.P. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:28 am

Agrajag wrote: I think Daniel believes
Spoiler
the mechanics of an Otis elevator is called an elevator operator. I almost wonder if he wasn't thinking about the guys whose job it was to stand and take passengers up and down...
Spoiler
Also, although the NEED for elevator operators has been eliminated, which is what the question was getting at, that doesn't mean they've disappeared. The Space Needle and Smith Tower in Seattle still have elevator operators.

Article about one of those operators.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:28 am

10K: No idea. ATA

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 am

K.P. wrote:
Spoiler
Also, although the NEED for elevator operators has been eliminated, which is what the question was getting at, that doesn't mean they've disappeared. The Space Needle and Smith Tower in Seattle still have elevator operators.

So a better answer is "none of the above." I checked Quartz.com to see if it says there aren't any more elevator operators. The website is for a company that makes quartz tubing, and doesn't mention elevators. (The question probably meant this article at qz.com.) So this question is bogus, and Daniel should have had his ATA lifeline for the $10K question. They should give him a second chance.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:34 am

I agree contestant should get a retry, as show cited bogus source.

But I, Marley, T-Bone & others should get 1st try 1st (T, bein' in the ROF doesn't count, I say from my own exp there, & I'm drafting you despite previous declension).

I may be the only one on bored who has actually *been* an elevator operator. My uncle's wholesale store, in which my Dad worked for a long time, had a freight elevator you had to operate yourself. It wasn't all that easy to get it to line up with the floors.

dandon

#7 Post by dandon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:34 pm

This is Daniel Donohue, the contestant in question here. Does anyone actually know how I would go about trying to get a retry?

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:50 pm

No idea. But the show has had several 2nd-chance shows. How they pick the players only they know.

If you go after them for having given a bad clue, they're not going to like you, though.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:51 pm

$10,000
To win the jackpots in the Powerball and Mega Millions lotteries, you must match the special "Powerball" and "Mega Ball," which are what colors, respectively?

Daniel literally has no idea and wishes he still had his ATA for this one. Before the answers came up he thought of green & he's pretty sure his +1 wouldn't know this.
Well, I have a better familiarity with these colors than most since I literally see them every day at work, and I have to confess I didn't know the answer off the top of my head.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:21 pm

dandon wrote:This is Daniel Donohue, the contestant in question here. Does anyone actually know how I would go about trying to get a retry?
Welcome aBored, Daniel! I enjoyed watching you on Millionaire (though I think you were shafted).

I observed three things in your favor: you said there still are elevator operators, you commented that Quartz.com has nothing to do with elevators, and on your final question, you wished you still had the ATA. (Good thing they didn't edit those remarks out!) So you raised objections immediately, not months later.

You should contact TheConfessor, the Bored's (and maybe the world's) leading authority on bogus questions.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Agrajag

#11 Post by Agrajag » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:52 pm

dandon wrote:This is Daniel Donohue, the contestant in question here. Does anyone actually know how I would go about trying to get a retry?
I've read about bogus questions and players being invited back on before, but no clue if it's the producers who realize their question was faulty or a contestant arguing for the chance. If the show has wrapped production, your producer is probably doing something else, but you could try to email your producer seeing if you have a shot.

I think "Second Chance" week mentioned elsewhere is for people who flame out before reaching the $5,000 threshold and they audition for that same as they do other specialty weeks (e.g. First Responders, First Time in Vegas, etc.) Not sure if going to an audition for Second Chance week would work, but there's always that chance too...

Good luck either way!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Welcome aBored! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

SpacemanSpiff

#13 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:09 am

K.P. wrote:
Agrajag wrote: I think Daniel believes
Spoiler
Spoiler

As does the four elevators in the lobby of the Hotel del Coronado. Then again, the 125 year old units have double-digit Otis serial numbers.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

mrkelley23

Re: Transcript 9/15/17A Daniel Donohue (dandon)

#14 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:30 am

Remembering Sleepless in Seattle, I just checked and at least as recently as 2015, there were still elevator operators in the Empire State Building. I would argue that with advances in recording technology and text-to-speech, court stenographers are more obsolete than elevator operators.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:17 pm

Mass just laid off most but not all court stenographers.

My guess is they'll be calling them back soon.

My reason: 40 or so years ago my Mom was told her role as shorthand note-taker for the I'm-not-telling-ya county planning commission, for which they hardly ever paid her the extra $$ (still owe her, though she's been dead for years) was over because they had bought recording equipment from which anyone could transcribe.

About a week later they called her back. To take note of who was speaking when, as the people they had hired to transcribe from the tapes couldn't figure it out.

ElendilPickle

#16 Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:19 pm

Agrajag wrote:
I think "Second Chance" week mentioned elsewhere is for people who flame out before reaching the $5,000 threshold and they audition for that same as they do other specialty weeks (e.g. First Responders, First Time in Vegas, etc.) Not sure if going to an audition for Second Chance week would work, but there's always that chance too...
This is incorrect. The producers pick Second Chance Week contestants from a group of contestants that they liked who decided to take a risk and answer an question instead of walking away, but got it wrong. I was one of them during the first Second Chance Week.

Daniel, you played a great game. If you still have your contact information for the show, start calling and emailing. Good luck!

mrkelley23

#17 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:48 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Remembering Sleepless in Seattle, I just checked and at least as recently as 2015, there were still elevator operators in the Empire State Building. I would argue that with advances in recording technology and text-to-speech, court stenographers are more obsolete than elevator operators.
After reading the article, I now understand what they were asking, but wow! What a deceptively-written question. First, the article makes a distinction between automation, apparently referring to mechanical devices, and other forms of obsolescence like computer technology. They also cited the wrong website, as someone noted. They didn't claim that the profession had been eliminated, only that the "need for" it had. My opinion of the question is that it is either evil, or poorly written. Unfortunately, I think it is more defensible than some other poorly-worded questions I've seen on the show. I would hammer them on the wrong source, then ASK them to reconsider based on the deceptive wording.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:24 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Daniel Donohue (new BB dandon)
Los Angeles, CA
Daniel is a writer.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$3,000

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
I'm not sure elevator operators are completely gone, but I know it's not the other three.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$7,000
What star of FX's "Atlanta" actually has roots in the city, having grown up in its suburb of Stone Mountain?
A: Donald Faison B: Donald Glover
C: Donnie Wahlberg D: Don Johnson
Spoiler
B: Donald Glover
Time for me to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000

Daniel literally has no idea and wishes he still had his ATA for this one. Before the answers came up he thought of
Spoiler
green
Spoiler
Richard wins $5,000
I don't do lotteries, so I have no idea. I'll use the 50:50 but probably walk away because my +1 wouldn't know it either.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

dandon

#19 Post by dandon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. My producer put me in touch with the production lawyer. I just sent him an email about the question's incorrect citation. I'll let you know what happens.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#20 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:55 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000

Spoiler
green
Spoiler
Richard wins $5,000

I find it odd that so many people, including our lottery jackpot expert, couldn't figure out the answer to this question. Powerball has been around so long, they used to show the drawings every Saturday night before the Three Stooges on Channel 11 when I was a kid. I guess maybe that helped me make the obvious association that's included in the ubiquitous Powerball logo that anyone living in a PB state should have seen a bunch of times by now....

And there was only one choice with a red ball...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com