Transcript 04/25/2008 - Anthony Thornton

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/25/2008 - Anthony Thornton

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:44 am

Billy Bush's last day as guest host

Anthony Thornton
Broken Arrow, OK

Anthony has a bouquet of roses. Billy tells him he can't sell them in the studio. Anthony says they were for Meredith. Billy says that he prefers chocolate - and a martini. Anthony says he'll catch Billy after the show.

$100 - Which of these Barbie dolls comes equipped with clothes hangers and a tiny credit card?

A - Bedtime Barbie
B - Cool Shoppin' Barbie
C - Cinco de Mayo Barbie
D - Personal Bankruptcy Barbie

Anthony has two little girls and lots of Barbie dolls.

$200 - In the U.S., whic hof these commodities is traded in units called "barrels"?

A - oil
B - wheat
C - coffee
D - gold

Anthony says that it's pretty expensive these days. "Don't we know it," Billy replies.

$300 - Which of these movie titles is also a common nickname for Las Vegas?

A - City of God
B - City of Angels
C - Sin City
D - Mad City

$500 - A "black cow" is a float prepared with ice cream and what soft drink?

A - root beer
B - ginger ale
C - orange soda
D - ice tea

Anthony has never had a black cow so he will take this opportunity to see what the audience has to say.

ATA results:
A - 87%
B - 3%
C - 2%
D - 8%

Billy says that's an overwhelming amount. He asks if Anthony will go with the audience, noting that there is 2% that said "orange soda". Anthony says that answer doesn't go with the blackness of the name.

$1K - Which of these arcade games typically has a "tilt mechanism" that disrupts play if the machine is jostled excessively?

A - Whack-a-mole
B - Skee-ball
C - air hockey
D - pinball

Anthony has played a few games so he knows the answer.

$2K - The site of many earthquakes, the San Andreas Fault lies at the meeting of the North American Plate and what other tectonic plate?

A - Caribbean Plate
B - Scotia Plate
C - Eurasian Plate
D - Pacific Plate

Anthony knows that the San Andreas Fault is in California, which is on the Pacific Ocean.

$4K - Adam Sandler and Kevin James play firefighters posing as a gay couple in the 2007 comedy, "I Now Pronounce You" who?

A - Frank & Gary
B - Mike & Tony
C - Chuck & Larry
D - Steve & Jimmy

Anthony hasn't seen the movie but he remembers the promos. Billy asks, jokingly, "Which one was Chuck and which one was Larry?" then answers his own question - "It doesn't matter, 'cause you've got $4000 bucks!"

$8K - Which of these countries has a major city named after Mount Royal, a peak discovered in 1535?

A - Canada
B - Australia
C - France
D - Italy

Anthony knows the two it isn't. Billy asks which two. Anthony says it's not Australia or Canada. He isn't sure about the others so he decides to call Kara. Billy asks if she's a good friend. "I hope so," Anthony replies.

"Mount Royal is in what country...let me think," Kara says, and finally says, "Canada." Anthony asks if she's sure about that. "Yes, Canada." Billy notes that Kara has 5 seconds left and asks, "What are you wearing?" Anthony didn't think that was the answer but Kara is a reasearch editor and knows her stuff, so he goes with her answer.

Commercial break

Coming out of the break Billy asks if Anthony is nervous or feeling good. Anthony says he's terrifed and "about eight kinds of freaked out." Billy says, "Me, too."

$16K - "But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts" is a line from an 1896 poem that inspired the title of a novel by whom?

A - James Baldwin
B - Carson McCullers
C - Willa Cather
D - William Styron

"You know, to be honest, I got nuttin'" Anthony says, and then says "I'm gonna take my money and run." Billy reminds him that he has a lifeline left. Anthony replies, "I know, but I don't think it's going to do me any good." Billy looks stunned. "Really?" he asks. From the audience a male voice shouts "50/50!" Billy then says, "A man leaves a lifeline on the table. OK." Anthony reiterates, "It's not going to do me a bit of good," and makes that his final decision. The audience, which has been making disgruntled noises, does applaud Anthony.

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (Cool Shoppin' Barbie)
$200 - A (oil)
$300 - C (Sin City)
$500 - A (root beer)
$1K - D (pinball)
$2K - D (Pacific Plate)
$4K - C (Chuck & Larry)
$8K - A (Canada)
$16K - B (Carson McCullers)

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 04/25/2008 - Anthony Thornton

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:59 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - A "black cow" is a float prepared with ice cream and what soft drink?

A - root beer
B - ginger ale
C - orange soda
D - ice tea

Anthony has never had a black cow so he will take this opportunity to see what the audience has to say.

ATA results:
A - 87%
B - 3%
C - 2%
D - 8%

Billy says that's an overwhelming amount. He asks if Anthony will go with the audience, noting that there is 2% that said "orange soda". Anthony says that answer doesn't go with the blackness of the name.
I'd call that a root beer float. Is it a regional thing to call it a black cow?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Which of these countries has a major city named after Mount Royal, a peak discovered in 1535?

A - Canada
B - Australia
C - France
D - Italy

Anthony knows the two it isn't. Billy asks which two. Anthony says it's not Australia or Canada. He isn't sure about the others so he decides to call Kara. Billy asks if she's a good friend. "I hope so," Anthony replies.

"Mount Royal is in what country...let me think," Kara says, and finally says, "Canada." Anthony asks if she's sure about that. "Yes, Canada." Billy notes that Kara has 5 seconds left and asks, "What are you wearing?" Anthony didn't think that was the answer but Kara is a reasearch editor and knows her stuff, so he goes with her answer.

It's not Australia or Canada, but it might be France or Italy, Anthony? Because, after two millenia of civilization in those countries, there were still peaks to be discovered?

"Hey, what's that big pile of rocks over there? Why, I think it might be a mountain!" :roll:

And Billy, Anthony may not have been using his 30 seconds of PAF time effectively, but a host should never interrupt for some stupid banter!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - "But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts" is a line from an 1896 poem that inspired the title of a novel by whom?

A - James Baldwin
B - Carson McCullers
C - Willa Cather
D - William Styron

"You know, to be honest, I got nuttin'" Anthony says, and then says "I'm gonna take my money and run." Billy reminds him that he has a lifeline left. Anthony replies, "I know, but I don't think it's going to do me any good." Billy looks stunned. "Really?" he asks. From the audience a male voice shouts "50/50!" Billy then says, "A man leaves a lifeline on the table. OK." Anthony reiterates, "It's not going to do me a bit of good," and makes that his final decision. The audience, which has been making disgruntled noises, does applaud Anthony.
Yeah, they're supposed to applaud and the warm-up comedian gets upset when they don't. No matter how they feel about a contestant. :evil:

tanstaafl2

#3 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Seems perfectly reasonable to take the money if it gets him out of there any faster, lifeline or no lifeline. It appeared he was lucky to get that far given his stellar play to this point. Bad is bad and seems to be the rule, not the exception lately.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MKearney

#4 Post by MKearney » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Yet they DIDN'T applaud nearly as much as the sound portrayed. Actually, there was a lot of booing from the audience. A lot. They went rather wild, and apparently were edited out or overdubbed

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:14 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$200 - In the U.S., whic hof these commodities is traded in units called "barrels"?

A - oil
B - wheat
C - coffee
D - gold

Anthony says that it's pretty expensive these days. "Don't we know it," Billy replies.
Well, gee, Billy... I wonder why. Oh yeah, that's right. Your cousin put us in two illegal wars.

$8K: For the lifetime of me, I could not make the Mount Royal/Montreal connection. Burn the PAF.

$16K: No clue. Try the audience. Take the 50:50 if nothing pops out. More than likely, I'll be walking with $8,000.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:02 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Billy Bush's last day as guest host
Thank goodness!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Anthony Thornton
Broken Arrow, OK

Anthony has a bouquet of roses. Billy tells him he can't sell them in the studio. Anthony says they were for Meredith. Billy says that he prefers chocolate - and a martini. Anthony says he'll catch Billy after the show.
This was actually a pretty humorous exchange.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - A "black cow" is a float prepared with ice cream and what soft drink?

A - root beer
B - ginger ale
C - orange soda
D - ice tea

ATA results:
A - 87%
B - 3%
C - 2%
D - 8%

We always called them "root beer floats", although I knew the term. When I was young there was a candy sold at movie theaters called "Black Cow". As I recall it was some sort of caramel sucker.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8K - Which of these countries has a major city named after Mount Royal, a peak discovered in 1535?

A - Canada
B - Australia
C - France
D - Italy

I guess Anthony doesn't speak French.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - "But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts" is a line from an 1896 poem that inspired the title of a novel by whom?

A - James Baldwin
B - Carson McCullers
C - Willa Cather
D - William Styron

I knew the book but couldn't remember the author's name, so it's time to use a lifeline - ATA first.

I confess a certain admiration for Anthony's decision - why use a lifeline that isn't going to help in any way? But I imagine others will not see it so.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:04 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

A - root beer
B - ginger ale
C - orange soda
D - ice tea

ATA results:
A - 87%
B - 3%
C - 2%
D - 8%

I'd call that a root beer float. Is it a regional thing to call it a black cow?
If so it must be a region other than upstate NY or Oklahoma - I hadn't heard it called that. Interestingly wikipedia says that a root beer float is a "brown cow", while a float made with cola is the "black cow".

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 am

MKearney wrote:Yet they DIDN'T applaud nearly as much as the sound portrayed. Actually, there was a lot of booing from the audience. A lot. They went rather wild, and apparently were edited out or overdubbed
The applause was there, but it didn't sound wildly enthusiastic as it often does. I could tell from listening that the audience wasn't happy about Anthony's refusal to use the 50/50. Did you have a chance to discuss this with him?

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:11 am

yikers

yikers

and

yikers

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:23 am

MKearney wrote:Yet they DIDN'T applaud nearly as much as the sound portrayed. Actually, there was a lot of booing from the audience. A lot. They went rather wild, and apparently were edited out or overdubbed
Ahhhh, very interesting! Thanks for that behind-the-scenes report.

I'd love to be in the audience the day they revolt against a particularly dreadful contestant, but it'd probably be better for me to avoid the temptation. :twisted:

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 am

Here's a short article about Anthony's appearance. Nothing new that isn't in the transcript.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/entertainment ... _span74573

MKearney

#12 Post by MKearney » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:05 am

No, I didn't get to talk to anyone after their appearance. In fact, you aren't allowed to talk to departing contestants, and they rush them right out. So even if you did want to tell someone that they did well, you can't.

I think at least you pretend...and take your shot at using the lifeline. It doesn't hurt to use it, and maybe work through it. I mean, you're not on a time limit. Maybe you'll remember something after more than 45 seconds.

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:22 am

MKearney wrote:No, I didn't get to talk to anyone after their appearance. In fact, you aren't allowed to talk to departing contestants, and they rush them right out. So even if you did want to tell someone that they did well, you can't.
That's interesting - in the Primetime days the contestants rode back to the hotel together and had a chance to interact - I wonder why they don't want that on CindyBAM.
MKearney wrote:I think at least you pretend...and take your shot at using the lifeline. It doesn't hurt to use it, and maybe work through it. I mean, you're not on a time limit. Maybe you'll remember something after more than 45 seconds.
I agree. but then again Anthony may have known that he didn't know who wrote the book and didn't want to waste your time.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:10 am

earendel wrote:
MKearney wrote:No, I didn't get to talk to anyone after their appearance. In fact, you aren't allowed to talk to departing contestants, and they rush them right out. So even if you did want to tell someone that they did well, you can't.
That's interesting - in the Primetime days the contestants rode back to the hotel together and had a chance to interact - I wonder why they don't want that on CindyBAM.
But there's no longer any official hotel for contestants; everyone has to make arrangements on their own. So, when an appearance is over, it's right out the door. If contestants want to get together later, outside the studio, that's up to them.
earendel wrote:
MKearney wrote:I think at least you pretend...and take your shot at using the lifeline. It doesn't hurt to use it, and maybe work through it. I mean, you're not on a time limit. Maybe you'll remember something after more than 45 seconds.
I agree. but then again Anthony may have known that he didn't know who wrote the book and didn't want to waste your time.
Like another 30 seconds would make a difference? At least that would let the TV audience play along with the results of the 50/50, even if the contestant doesn't have the risk tolerance to take a guess.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#15 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:18 am

Well, KT (my guest) waited under the bleachers when my run was done. The next contestant was a llama and I believe she joined us. And my memory is getting a bit hazy but we were able to sit in the stands for the next taping. Of course this could have been because the audience was thinning out.....
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

gsabc

#16 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:20 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
earendel wrote:
Like another 30 seconds would make a difference? At least that would let the TV audience play along with the results of the 50/50, even if the contestant doesn't have the risk tolerance to take a guess.
I think the LAST thing on my mind from the hotseat would be the TV audience and how they feel about my play. Present company and extended family members excepted, of course. I'm not about to leave a lifeline unused, short of pulling a John Carpenter or a crash-and-burn, but the viewing audience's feelings will not be high in my thoughts on the decision.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Appa23

#17 Post by Appa23 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:45 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $16K - "But my heart is a lonely hunter that hunts" is a line from an 1896 poem that inspired the title of a novel by whom?

A - James Baldwin
B - Carson McCullers
C - Willa Cather
D - William Styron
Not that I would have noted this on the show, but this novel was the basis of my essay (or one of the essays) on my AP English test during my senior year. I can't tell you what the topic was or why I selected it as reflective of that theme, but I remember it because I never read the book. I had seen a film adaptation. Thankfully, it must have been a fairly true-to-the-book adaptation.