Transcript 04/25/2008 - Doug Phelps

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/25/2008 - Doug Phelps

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 am

Billy Bush's last day as guest host

Doug Phelps
Sun City, AZ

Doug is an older gentleman. Twenty-five years ago he taught on a Navajo reservation and took in two foster children; now he has nine grandchildren. He's trying to put them all through college. Billy says, "I understand you're afraid of one thing - the flop sweats." Billy asks him to explain. Doug says, "I feel that if I call 'D' on the first question, I'm in big trouible and I'll flop sweat from the time I get that until you get us off the air and it will be wet in my socks.

$100 - England, Scotland and Wales are parts of a region in Europe commonly known as what?

A - Awesome Britain
B - Great Britain
C - Huge Britain
D - A Queen Elizabeth Joint

$200 - Which of these popular children's toys commonly comes equipped with two handles?

A - Magic 8 Ball
B - yo-yo
C - jump rope
D - Silly PUtty

$300 - An abbreviation familiar to camping enthusiasts, "BYOTP" stands for "bring your own" what?

A - tyrow pillow
B - toilet paper
C - toy poodle
D - totem pole

"It had better be 'toilet paper'," Doug says, "or we're in trouble."

$500 - Each holiday season, what company offers a toll-free "Turkey Talk-Line" to help cooks prepare its products?

A - Butterball
B - Kellogg's
C - Dannon
D - Campbell's

$1K - Which of these daily newspapers includes the aptly titled section "Tropical Life"?

A - Chicago Tribune
B - Boston Globe
C - Miami Herald
D - Denver Post

"Chicago is around a river; Boston is around the ocean; and Denver is real high," Doug notes.

Commercial break

Doug is on his second honeymoon in New York. "Almost 30 years," Doug says. "Romantic?" Billy asks. Doug replies, "With this lady you can't be anything but romantic." The audience cheers. Doug's wife Carolyn is in the relationship seat. "Are you having fun in New York?" Billy asks. "Oh, absolutely!" Carolyn replies. "Who couldn't have fun in New York, and with this guy I'm always having fun."

$2K - The most-watched basic cable broadcast in TV history was the 2007 sequal to a movie with what title?

A - Rock Star Musical
B - Spring Break Musical
C - Reality Show Musical
D - High School Musical

"I'd better get this right as a high school teacher," Doug says.

$4K - In terms of liquid measurement, which of these is an accurate "substitute" for the cowboy term "ten-gallon hat"?

A - eighty-ounce hat
B - sixty-pint hat
C - forty-quart hat
D - seventy-cup hat

Doug makes "B" his final answer. "I don't want to tell you that you're wrong," Billy says, "but I have to do that. You're off." "That's the way it works," Doug says. Billy says that he's going to need a hug. "Hey, I've been waiting for this all day."

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (Great Britain)
$200 - C (jump rope)
$300 - B (toilet paper)
$500 - A (Butterball)
$1K - C (Miami Herald)
$2K - D (High School Musical)
$4K - C (forty-quart hat)

gsabc

#2 Post by gsabc » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:34 am

Having too much fun with his wife and not paying attention to her cooking methods, assuming that she cooks. That last question could have been in AYSTA5G. Did he dither, or did he just go for it without any apparent thinking?
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:22 am

gsabc wrote:Having too much fun with his wife and not paying attention to her cooking methods, assuming that she cooks. That last question could have been in AYSTA5G. Did he dither, or did he just go for it without any apparent thinking?
On the show he appeared confident of his answer.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 04/25/2008 - Doug Phelps

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:04 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Doug makes "B" his final answer. "I don't want to tell you that you're wrong," Billy says, "but I have to do that. You're off." "That's the way it works," Doug says. Billy says that he's going to need a hug. "Hey, I've been waiting for this all day."
First, a contestant asks Billy for a hug, now Bill asks a contestant for one? What's up with that?

You'd think Billy just ruined his own chance for $1 million. :roll:

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:29 pm

And it seemed to be going so well. At least he didn't burn a lifeline early on for no particular reason as seems to be a regular feature lately.

Maybe he should have...

Surprising turn of events to miss on something that seemed rather easy.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MKearney

#6 Post by MKearney » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:15 pm

Well, keep in mind that it's the end of the day of taping, and Doug had woken up at 5-6 in the morning, and it was like 4pm. He was genuinely tired at that point, and probably just flubbed the choice.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:57 am

Nihil obstat®

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:09 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Doug Phelps
Sun City, AZ

Doug is an older gentleman. Twenty-five years ago he taught on a Navajo reservation and took in two foster children; now he has nine grandchildren. He's trying to put them all through college. Billy says, "I understand you're afraid of one thing - the flop sweats." Billy asks him to explain. Doug says, "I feel that if I call 'D' on the first question, I'm in big trouible and I'll flop sweat from the time I get that until you get us off the air and it will be wet in my socks.
This doesn't quite sound like what I think of when I hear the phrase "flop sweat".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4K - In terms of liquid measurement, which of these is an accurate "substitute" for the cowboy term "ten-gallon hat"?

A - eighty-ounce hat
B - sixty-pint hat
C - forty-quart hat
D - seventy-cup hat

Doug makes "B" his final answer. "I don't want to tell you that you're wrong," Billy says, "but I have to do that. You're off." "That's the way it works," Doug says. Billy says that he's going to need a hug. "Hey, I've been waiting for this all day."
What a bummer! Doug was going well and I thought he had a good chance of making big bucks. I think he just got in a hurry and didn't think through the answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#9 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:17 am

MKearney wrote:Well, keep in mind that it's the end of the day of taping, and Doug had woken up at 5-6 in the morning, and it was like 4pm. He was genuinely tired at that point, and probably just flubbed the choice.
That is very kind of you.

There will always be someone in that position. So many contestants have no clue what they are in for.

Too bad they don't all come here - we know.