Transcript 04/25/2008 - Michael Kearney (MKearney, a new BB)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 04/25/2008 - Michael Kearney (MKearney, a new BB)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:48 am

Billy Bush's last day as guest host

Michael Kearney
Nashville, TN

Michael comes out in a brown jacket, untucked shirt, blue jeans and sneakers. He has black-rimmed glasses. Without wasting time they go right to the stack.

$100 - Primarily using the breaststroke, nineteenth-century European Matthew Walsh became the first person to do what?

A - climb Mt. Everest solo
B - scake the Eiffel Tower
C - swim the English Channel unaided
D - find the bathroom at Red Lobster

$200 - Which of these familiar nursery rhymes features the line "When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall"?

A - Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
B - Rock-a-Bye Baby
C - Baa, Baa Black Sheep
D - Old Mother Hubbard

Michael sings the line.

$300 - What classic movie from the 1930s featured the tagline "A Monster Science Created...But Could Not Destroy!"?

A - Gone with the Wind
B - Stagecoach
C - Frankenstein
D - It Happened One Night

When "C" came up Michael said, "I was worried." He says (making monster noises), "That would be 'Frankenstein'."

$500 - The ukulele is a guitar-like instrument chiefly associated with the musical traditions of what U.S. state?

A - Louisiana
B - Florida
C - New Mexico
D - Hawaii

Michael was born in Hawaii.

$1K - What Ivy League university is named for a well-known fifteenth-century exploreer?

A - Columbia
B - Princeton
C - Dartmouth
D - Cornell

"Well, fifteenth century means that he ws in the 1400s, and so that would probably be Columbus, which would lead to Columbia." He makes that his final answer. Billy reveals the answer and then says, "Logic works."

Commercial break

Billy shows Michael the Capital One check for $1M and says, "You want this, don't you?" Michael replies with an enthusiastic "Yes!"

$2K - As part of a recent culinary trend, "locavores" adhere specifically to a strict diet of what?

A - food without preservatives
B - food that grows underground
C - food containing seeds
D - food grown near their homes

"Oh, I get it," Michael says. "'Vores' meaning 'eat' and 'loca' meaning 'location' so we're talking about a location, so I imagine it's all those California foodies and I bet that 'D - food grown near their homes'..."

$4K - Cartoonist Scott Adams drew on experiences working at a bank and a phone company to create what comic strip?

A - Dilbert
B - Fox Trot
C - The Boondocks
D - Non Sequitur

As the question is revealed Michael starts laughing. Billy laughs also. Once the answers are shown Michael says, "Do you want to know what bank and phone company he worked for?" "No, just the answer," Billy replies.

THE HORN!!!!!

Michael will be back on Monday with all his lifelines available. Meredith will be back also.

ANSWERS:
$100 - C (swim the English Channel unaided)
$200 - B (Rock-a-Bye Baby)
$300 - C (Frankenstein)
$500 - D (Hawaii)
$1K - A (Columbia)
$2K - D (food grown near their homes)
$4K - A (Dilbert)

MarleysGh0st

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm

Good start, Michael; I look forward to Monday's episode.

Had you really not heard of a locavore?

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:36 pm

As the question is revealed Michael starts laughing. Billy laughs also. Once the answers are shown Michael says, "Do you want to know what bank and phone company he worked for?" "No, just the answer," Billy replies.
Bank of America and Pacific Bell, IIRC. :)
Last edited by Bob Juch on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:10 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Bank of America and Pacific Bell, IIRC. :)
It was Crocker National Bank, according to Wikipedia.

tanstaafl2

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:34 pm

An encouraging start especially given what had gone before in this episode.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#6 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:Good start, Michael; I look forward to Monday's episode.

Had you really not heard of a locavore?
I believe that I posted something about the word locavore being the Oxford American Dictionary's word of the year.

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:20 pm

Had it not been multiple choice I would have been looking for "one who eats crazy things..."

:)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:21 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Had it not been multiple choice I would have been looking for "one who eats crazy things..."

:)
The above statement has nothing to do with PSM and her personal circle of hell, BTW....
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MKearney

#9 Post by MKearney » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:24 pm

No, I hadn't heard of a locavore. I didn't keep up on that year's Word of the Year. (I thought the word of the year for 2007 was Ginormous)

But I really did know the companies that Scott Adams had worked for. I had gotten a few questions that REALLY scared me until I saw the options, and was relieved. (Like the first question, when you're expecting "Which one of these things is a doggie?" and I get Matthew Walsh.) I wanted to get more questions directly in my wheelhouse, and when a question about Dilbert comes up, I was just geeking out.

thguy65

#10 Post by thguy65 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 pm

Michael:

I'm looking forward to watching your conclusion.
Since I failed on my bid to be a $1M winner on two game shows, I wish you lots of retroactive luck.

(In case some of you missed Appa23's post in another thread, Michael has already demonstrated his prowess under pressure)
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:35 pm

thguy65 wrote:(In case some of you missed Appa23's post in another thread, Michael has already demonstrated his prowess under pressure)
Chemistry and computer science! I knew there was something I liked about the guy.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

TheConfessor

#12 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:59 pm

The gold confetti was way cool. Did you scoop up a pile of it and take it home?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:20 pm

thguy65 wrote:Since I failed on my bid to be a $1M winner on two game shows, I wish you lots of retroactive luck.
I seem to remember things working out pretty well for you on that third show.

:wink:

takinover

#14 Post by takinover » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 am

Is this a US WWTBAM first, the first person to sit in the hotseat with two different hosts?

NellyLunatic1980

#15 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:23 am

I'm perfect so far, as well. Can't wait to see the second half of your game, Michael! :)

earendel

Re: Transcript 04/25/2008 - Michael Kearney (MKearney, a new

#16 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:11 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Michael Kearney
Nashville, TN

Michael comes out in a brown jacket, untucked shirt, blue jeans and sneakers. He has black-rimmed glasses. Without wasting time they go right to the stack.

$4K - Cartoonist Scott Adams drew on experiences working at a bank and a phone company to create what comic strip?

A - Dilbert
B - Fox Trot
C - The Boondocks
D - Non Sequitur

I thought this was funny. So far, so good. And FWIW I'd also have all my lifelines available. Nihil obstat.®
Last edited by earendel on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#17 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:12 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:An encouraging start especially given what had gone before in this episode.
When Michael wasn't the second contestant (after Anthony) I thought maybe his air date had been changed, particularly when Doug started out so strong.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

peacock2121

#18 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:13 am

I have arranged my day to be home to watch today.

I am excited!

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:39 am

Here's a promo for Michael's carryover appearance.

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/news.ph ... tory=10613
In 1998, Kearney graduated from MTSU at 14 years old with a degree in biochemistry.

He was also listed for a time in the Guinness Book of World Records as the World’s Youngest College Graduate for receiving a bachelor’s degree in anthropology from the University of South Alabama.
For a time? Have you lost that record, Michael?

gsabc

#20 Post by gsabc » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:46 am

thguy65 wrote:Michael:

I'm looking forward to watching your conclusion.
Since I failed on my bid to be a $1M winner on two game shows, I wish you lots of retroactive luck.

(In case some of you missed Appa23's post in another thread, Michael has already demonstrated his prowess under pressure)
Yeah, but I'll bet he now wishes just a little that he'd taken the gold bars.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#21 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:51 am

A PAF who can answer the question in 10 seconds is a good thing.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Appa23

#22 Post by Appa23 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:59 am

silvercamaro wrote:
thguy65 wrote:Since I failed on my bid to be a $1M winner on two game shows, I wish you lots of retroactive luck.

Did I miss something? I remember Tim winning on that short-lived Fox show (the $1 million for knowing Ruben Kincaid), and then winning $64,000 on WWTBAM. Did he appear on something more recently? (He did Jeopardy before these shows, right?)

thguy65

#23 Post by thguy65 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:49 am

Appa23 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:

Did I miss something? I remember Tim winning on that short-lived Fox show (the $1 million for knowing Ruben Kincaid), and then winning $64,000 on WWTBAM. Did he appear on something more recently? (He did Jeopardy before these shows, right?)
Yes, WWTBAM was my 3rd game show.

I think SC is playfully saying that I shouldn't sneeze at my WWTBAM outcome. None of my more recent game show endeavors have come close that success (but if they had picked me for the first edition of "Duel", I would have had my 3rd crack at 7 figures).
Tim H.

- My other computer is Image

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#24 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:07 am

thguy65 wrote:
Appa23 wrote:
silvercamaro wrote: I seem to remember things working out pretty well for you on that third show.
Yes, WWTBAM was my 3rd game show.

I think SC is playfully saying that I shouldn't sneeze at my WWTBAM outcome. None of my more recent game show endeavors have come close that success (but if they had picked me for the first edition of "Duel", I would have had my 3rd crack at 7 figures).
I couldn't remember exactly how much you had won on each show, but I thought your placement on the all-time winners list indicated that your aggregate prize money made your use of the word "failed" both funny and misplaced.

MKearney

#25 Post by MKearney » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:15 am

Yes, I still have three world records. (Youngest college student, Youngest college grad, youngest high school grad...the Master's degree record got broken)

That jacket that I was wearing on Friday still contains a handful of gold confetti.

And technically, I should be on that all-time game show winners list, at tenth.