Transcript 9/18/17A Andy Kraut

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/18/17A Andy Kraut

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:10 pm

MI - 16006i

Andy Kraut
New York, NY
Andy is hoping to start a family if he wins the million.

$500
Although there are no official FDA guidelines for what constitutes a "superfood," most understand it to be any food with what characteristic?
A: It's rich in vitamins & antioxidants B: It gives you X-ray vision
C: It's impervious to bullets D: It wears a tiny cape

Spoiler
A: It's rich in vitamins & antioxidants

$1,000
According to the lyrics of Justin Timberlake's hit song "Can't Stop the Feeling!," he has all of the following things except for what?
A: Sunshine in his pocket B: Good soul in his feet
C: Hot blood in his body D: Mom jeans on his hips

Spoiler
D: Mom jeans on his hips

$2,000
Exemplified by Hello Kitty, the Japanese artistic style and cultural aesthetic known as "Kawaii" puts an emphasis on what quality?
A: Grandiosity B: Cuteness
C: Seriousness D: Masculinity

Spoiler
B: Cuteness

$3,000
Though she dismisses a book that claims she had a crush on him, Barbra Streisand did attend Brooklyn's Erasmus High School with what future chess champion?
A: Andre Agassi B: Bobby Fischer
C: Phil Mickelson D: Scott Hamilton

Andy believes
Spoiler
Andre Agassi is a tennis player and knows Bobby Fischer is a chess player, but he is unfamiliar with Phil Mickelson & Scott Hamilton.

He thinks he may have said too much to have an unbiased opinion from the audience.
Spoiler
A: 2% B: 97% C: 0% D: 1%

Spoiler
B: Bobby Fischer

$5,000
Archaeologist David Wright says it was over-grazing by domesticated animals that turned the once-lush oasis of north Africa into what largest desert in the world?
A: Gobi B: Sahara
C: Mojave D: Kalahari

Spoiler
B: Sahara

First commercial break

$7,000
Possibly the first-ever "fake news," what 6th century "secret history" of Byzantine emperor Justinian's private life sounds like an English word for an unverified story?
A: Anecdota B: Kronikos
C: Satyricon D: Allegora

Spoiler
A: Anecdota

$10,000
Ben & Jerry's ice cream features two flavors with late-night talk show hosts on their labels: Americone Dream with Stephen Colbert, and what?
A: Jimmy Kimmel Carammel B: Bill Mars Bar Crunch
C: The Tonight Dough D: Cocoa O'Brien

Spoiler
C: The Tonight Dough

$20,000
Which of the following is the only one that's more than one sentence long?
A: Preamble to the U.S. Constitution B: U.S. Presidential oath of office
C: Second Amendment D: Poem on the Statue of Liberty

Andy has seen all of these at some point in his life. He thinks
Spoiler
the Statue of Liberty has "give me your weak, your tired, your poor" but isn't sure how much else there is. He knows the Second Amendment is pretty brief. He's least familiar with the Preamble to the Constitution and was watching the oath of office with his hands over his eyes.

Spoiler
Andy's +1 is his dad, Alan. Alan agrees the Second Amendment is short. He would have to guess, but he thinks maybe it'd be the Preamble. They get through "We the people...in order to form a more perfect union" and aren't sure if it stops shortly after that...

Spoiler
50/50 leaves Preamble to the U.S. Constitution & Poem on the Statue of Liberty.
Andy remembers that the poem also mentions "my torch," which would be a separate sentence.

Spoiler
D: Poem on the Statue of Liberty

Second commercial break
Andy talks more about what he'd do with the money. He and his husband have a small one-bedroom in the city and adoption fees are high, so the million would help them get a bigger place and start their family.

$30,000
In 2017, what country broke barriers by becoming the first in Asia to strike down laws prohibiting same-sex marriage?
A: South Korea B: Malaysia
C: Taiwan D: India

Andy has been in
Spoiler
Taiwan, but it hasn't been since 2005 and he hasn't kept up with what's happening there politically.

Andy decides to walk.
Spoiler
Andy would have guessed A: South Korea.
The correct answer is C: Taiwan
Andy wins $20,000.

Third commercial break
QotD wrote: By definition, a pontoon plane is equipped to do which of the following?
A: Deploy bombs B: Fly upside down
C: Land on water D: Fly at high altitudes

Spoiler
C: Land on water
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agrajag

Re: Transcript 9/18/17A Andy Kraut

#2 Post by Agrajag » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Watched this for several minutes, wondering how I recognized Andy... Didn't remember him from my taping session. Thought maybe he was on Jeopardy! or something else I've seen recently...

Around the first commercial break, I realized he was behind me in line and next to me in the testing session in NYC this summer! We had a mutual friend who won $100,000 last season (Kiki Mikkleson) & we talked about how it was her fault we both went to audition! :-)

ATA on the $10,000 and hope there was a large majority (hell, I'd probably even go with a pluarilty)
+1 on the $30,000 and hope he knows it/has some better ideas than I do. Maybe 50/50 and maybe walk.

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:57 am

10K: Absolutely clueless, & I do eat & buy ice cream. As a diabetic I'm not s'posed to, but oh well. ATA

20K: Yikes. I can recite preamble & Liberty poem. Preamble is one sentence. 50/50.

Assuming would leave same result for me, which is puzzling because people are made in school to memorize the preamble & not B &C, I go w/ Liberty, even though it feels like one sentence w/ semicolon in middle to me.

30K: Taiwan most likely to be most liberal, but +1

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:18 am

ghostjmf wrote:20K: Yikes. I can recite preamble & Liberty poem. Preamble is one sentence. 50/50.

Assuming would leave same result for me, which is puzzling because people are made in school to memorize the preamble & not B &C, I go w/ Liberty, even though it feels like one sentence w/ semicolon in middle to me.\
Do they memorize the Second Amendment in Texas schools?

Like Andy, I thought last line of the poem was a separate sentence. Turns out we're all wrong. Wikipedia has the original manuscript and the plaque on the Statue, and they're punctuated like this:
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
I think that's bad grammar, but Emma Lazarus is a renowned poet and I'm just a Bored Buddy, so what do I know?

BTW, the poem has another three sentences before the part that everyone memorizes.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 am

$10,000
Ben & Jerry's ice cream features two flavors with late-night talk show hosts on their labels: Americone Dream with Stephen Colbert, and what?
The correct answer doesn't actually have the 'late-night talk show hosts' on the label, if I'm reading this right...
(edited: ahh - it has his photo)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

tlynn78 wrote:
$10,000
The correct answer doesn't actually have the 'late-night talk show hosts' on the label, if I'm reading this right...
(edited: ahh - it has his photo)

The only reason I even know who the current late show hosts are anymore is through putting up B&J ice cream at work.... which isn't easy since Ben & Jerry's, for numerous reasons, is one of the biggest pains in the ass products to stock in the entire frozen food section.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Andy Kraut
New York, NY
Andy is hoping to start a family if he wins the million.
He was quite excited - Chris said they could power Las Vegas with his energy.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000
Spoiler
C: The Tonight Dough
Andy knew this one because he said he had eaten it the night before. There are no B&J stores in our area, so I'll have to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
Which of the following is the only one that's more than one sentence long?
A: Preamble to the U.S. Constitution B: U.S. Presidential oath of office
C: Second Amendment D: Poem on the Statue of Liberty

Andy has seen all of these at some point in his life. He thinks
Spoiler
the Statue of Liberty has "give me your weak, your tired, your poor" but isn't sure how much else there is. He knows the Second Amendment is pretty brief. He's least familiar with the Preamble to the Constitution and was watching the oath of office with his hands over his eyes.

Spoiler
Andy's +1 is his dad, Alan. Alan agrees the Second Amendment is short. He would have to guess, but he thinks maybe it'd be the Preamble. They get through "We the people...in order to form a more perfect union" and aren't sure if it stops shortly after that...

Spoiler
50/50 leaves Preamble to the U.S. Constitution & Poem on the Statue of Liberty.
Andy remembers that the poem also mentions "my torch," which would be a separate sentence.

Spoiler
D: Poem on the Statue of Liberty
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door." Two sentences.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:28 pm

ear, B&Js is in supermarkets too around here.

When buying ice cream in bulk I'm pretty much invested in coffee, & BJ's coffee is too sweet for me. My current fav is something called OpenNature, even though it has those "stabilizers", guar gum etc & Hagen Das doesn't. HD is also too sweet & has not enough flavor, but its my current 2nd choice.

BJs coffee has strong enough flavor. Just too much sugar.

I know, Open Nature has higher carb count than HD. Dunno how/why.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:22 pm

ghostjmf wrote:ear, B&Js is in supermarkets too around here.
It may be sold around here but not in the shops my wife patronizes.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."