NFL history (sort of)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

NFL history (sort of)

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:48 pm

According to this source, last night's game between the Rams and the 49ers was the first NFL game in history with a final score of 41-39. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

Re: NFL history (sort of)

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Bob78164 wrote:According to this source, last night's game between the Rams and the 49ers was the first NFL game in history with a final score of 41-39. --Bob

They might be confusing the score with the number of people sitting on each side of the stadium.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:53 pm

41 and 39 sound like two pretty good guesses for the total number of points the Giants will score this season.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Jeemie

#4 Post by Jeemie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 am

Stats like these make me laugh.

I'm sure there are still plenty of reasonable possible scores that haven't been hit yet.

And clicking on that source proved me right. At least 405 possible scores (404 now).
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:48 am

Jeemie wrote:Stats like these make me laugh.

I'm sure there are still plenty of reasonable possible scores that haven't been hit yet.

And clicking on that source proved me right. At least 405 possible scores (404 now).
Still 405 (although some scores are less reasonable than others). The page I linked to had already removed 41-39. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 am

Jeemie wrote:Stats like these make me laugh.

I don't claim to be an expert on football, but most of the scores remaining contain at least one and often two score tallies that are rarely seen. 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 11, 19, 25, 29, 36, 39... not numbers that show up in football scores more than a few times a year (or in some cases, never). I wouldn't call many of those unseen scores reasonable...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:18 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
I don't claim to be an expert on football, but most of the scores remaining contain at least one and often two score tallies that are rarely seen. 1.
It is actually possible to score one point in American football on what's referred to as a conversion safety. If the defense blocks a conversion kick or recovers a turnover and then fumbles the ball back in the end zone or retreats back into the end zone after entering the field of play, the offense scores one point. It's happened a couple of times this century in college football (where the defense has long been able to score two points for returning a block or turnover on a conversion attempt for a score), and it's theoretically possible in the NFL.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
I don't claim to be an expert on football, but most of the scores remaining contain at least one and often two score tallies that are rarely seen. 1.
It is actually possible to score one point in American football on what's referred to as a conversion safety. If the defense blocks a conversion kick or recovers a turnover and then fumbles the ball back in the end zone or retreats back into the end zone after entering the field of play, the offense scores one point. It's happened a couple of times this century in college football (where the defense has long been able to score two points for returning a block or turnover on a conversion attempt for a score), and it's theoretically possible in the NFL.

A one-point rouge happens more frequently in Canadian football if a ball is kicked into the end zone and not returned onto the field of play, the kicking team (kickoff or punt) gets one point and the receiving team still gets the ball.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:19 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
But the offense does not lose the 6 points they earned giving them the opportunity for a 1 point conversion. So they will end up with 7, at least, not 1, as a final score.

I don't think there is a way for a team to have a final score of 1 in the NFL.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

BackInTex wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
But the offense does not lose the 6 points they earned giving them the opportunity for a 1 point conversion. So they will end up with 7, at least, not 1, as a final score.

Actually there is, because the conversion safety point rule applies to either team. So, if the defense runs back a blocked conversion kick almost all the way, then fumbles into the end zone and the offensive team tries to run it out and fumbles it back and out of the end zone, then the defense would be awarded the one point for the conversion safety. If that was their only score in the game, they would then have one point.

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 am

BackInTex wrote:

Actually there is, because the conversion safety point rule applies to either team. So, if the defense runs back a blocked conversion kick almost all the way, then fumbles into the end zone and the offensive team tries to run it out and fumbles it back and out of the end zone, then the defense would be awarded the one point for the conversion safety. If that was their only score in the game, they would then have one point.
Ah, I see now. I'd rather bet on Powerball, better odds.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 am

BackInTex wrote:

Private McAuslin (The Dirtiest Soldier in the British Army) came up with an answer to a similar question (about soccer, I think)in GMF's short story-"General Knowledge, Private Information" about a quiz contest in the British Army after WW2-This was probably the only quiz contest where the military police were called in before the contest.

GMF commanded a platoon of Glaswegians after the war. This collection of short stories has cheered me up on many a dreary day.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>‘In a game of association football, how is it possible for a player to score three successive goals – ’ he paused, and added the punch-line ‘ – without any other player touching the ball in between.’

>>>‘A fella – he’s a centre-forward,’ said McAuslan, and stopped, terrified. But he rallied, and went on, in a raucous whisper: ‘He pits the ba’ through his own goal. That’s one, right?’ The brigadier nodded. ‘Well, then, this same fella picks up the ba’ and kicks off, frae the centre. But he disnae pass, see. No’ fear. He belts the ba’ doon the park, and chases after it, and a dirty big full-back ca’s the pins frae him – ’

‘Tackles him foully,’ our Colonel put in hurriedly, out of ashen lips. The brigadier, intent on McAuslan’s disquisition, nodded acknowledgement of the translation.

‘So,’ McAuslan gestured dramatically. ‘Penalty! Oor boy grabs the ba’ – naebody else has touched it, mind, since he kicked aff – pits it on the spot, an’ lams it in. Two, right?’

‘That’s right!’ exclaimed the brigadier. He seemed quite excited. ‘And then?’

‘Aye, weel, then.’ McAuslan glanced round uneasily, realised yet again that all eyes were on him, swallowed horribly, scrabbled at his perspiring brow, and ploughed gamely on. ‘Soon as the goal’s scored – the ref. whistles for hauf-time. An’ when they come oot fur the second hauf, it’s oor boy’s turn tae kick aff, see, ‘cos the ither side kicked aff at the start o’ the game. So – he does the same thing again – batters it doon the park, gets the hems pit oan him again by the dirty big full-back –

‘The same full-back fouls him yet again,’ translated the Colonel, his head bowed. ‘That full-back wants sortin’ oot,’ said someone. ‘Jist an animal.’

‘ – and there’s anither penalty,’ McAuslan gasped on, his eyes now closed, ’an’ oor boy shouts, “Ma ba”, and takes it again and belts it – ’

Fraser, George MacDonald. The Complete McAuslan (p. 265). Skyhorse Publishing. Kindle Edition.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<