WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:54 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 3992
Ryan Chaffee
International tutor
Andover, Minn.


$500
Backed by Google co-founder Larry Page, the Silicon Valley company Kitty Hawk is working on developing a flying what?
A: Hairbrush B: Artichoke
C: Car D: Pig

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Car


$1,000
In 2009, the world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, fittingly adopted what animal at a Kenyan zoo, naming him “Lightning”?
A: Giant tortoise B: Snail
C: Sloth D: Cheetah

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Cheetah


$2,000
Joining the likes of the legendary Clarence Birdseye, Rose Totino was the first woman elected to which actual Hall of Fame?
A: Pinball Hall of Fame B: Quilters Hall of Fame
C: Frozen Food Hall of Fame D: Roller Derby Hall of Fame

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Frozen Food Hall of Fame


Commercial break

$3,000
What popular internet meme, believed to have started at a Jacksonville, FL high school in 2016, involves people remaining motionless as a camera pans around?
A: The Freeze Frame Game B: Matrixing
C: The Mannequin Challenge D: 1-2-3 Statue!

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: The Mannequin Challenge


$5,000
A memoir of the comedian-turned-statesman’s political career, what playfully boastful phrase completes this 2017 book title: “Al Franken,…”?
A: “World’s Greatest Governor” B: “Giant of the Senate”
C: “Best Cabinet Member Ever” D: “Putting the Supreme in Supreme Court”

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: “Giant of the Senate”


$7,000
Which of the following is neither an extinct bird, nor a post-WWI art movement, nor the musician who performed the 1999 smash hit “Thank You”?
A: Dodo B: Dada
C: Dadi D: Dido

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Dadi


$10,000
Which of the following was a TV show that later became a movie, and NOT a movie that later became a TV show?
A: Fame B: Friday Night Lights
C: The Fugitive D: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
Ryan’s +1 is his best friend David. David first says Friday Night Lights, but that’s because he misreads the question. Ryan recalls that The Fugitive was a TV show long before it was a movie, and David definitely agrees.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: The Fugitive


Commercial break

$20,000
For which of the following letters is there exactly one country whose name starts with it, and exactly one country whose name ends with it?
A: C B: O
C: Q D: Z

Ryan immediately mentions Qatar and Iraq. Many countries begin with C, and Zambia and Zimbabwe both start with Z. For O, Ryan thinks of Oman and Mexico, then rattles off countries until he comes up with Togo.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Q


Commercial break

QotD
The word “infant” derives from the Latin word “infans,” meaning what?
A: Restful slumbers B: Unable to speak
C: Hairless beast D: Always hungry

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Unable to speak


$30,000
Forget peanuts and Cracker Jack: a concession stand at Seattle’s Safeco Field now sells the Mexican treat chapulines, better known as what?
A: Grilled cactus fruits B: Toasted grasshoppers
C: Braised goat nachos D: Barbecued pig ears

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 28% B: 37% C: 12% D: 23%
Ryan thought it was toasted grasshoppers, but he uses the 50/50 to be sure.


[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves grilled cactus fruits and toasted grasshoppers.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Toasted grasshoppers


The horn
Ryan will be back on Thursday.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Posts: 3446
Location: Merion, Pa.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$5,000
A memoir of the comedian-turned-statesman’s political career, what playfully boastful phrase completes this 2017 book title: “Al Franken,…”?
A: “World’s Greatest Governor” B: “Giant of the Senate”
C: “Best Cabinet Member Ever” D: “Putting the Supreme in Supreme Court”

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: “Giant of the Senate”
I've never heard Franken called a statesman, even in a playful boast. Google can only find two instances when Franken is referred to as a statesman.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$7,000
Which of the following is neither an extinct bird, nor a post-WWI art movement, nor the musician who performed the 1999 smash hit “Thank You”?
A: Dodo B: Dada
C: Dadi D: Dido

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Dadi
Dadi is Hindi for grandmother.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6220
20K: Think its Q. 50/50 will leave O & Q. Go w/ Q even if can't come up w/ Togo as 2nd O like contestant did.

30K: Local restaurant written up for this. I tried their enchiladas, which were more expensive & not as good as my fav local Mexican restaurant.

Just showed up on Mike Colamico's Real Food (PBS) too.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12163
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Ryan Chaffee
International tutor
Andover, Minn.


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$30,000
Forget peanuts and Cracker Jack: a concession stand at Seattle’s Safeco Field now sells the Mexican treat chapulines, better known as what?
A: Grilled cactus fruits B: Toasted grasshoppers
C: Braised goat nachos D: Barbecued pig ears

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 28% B: 37% C: 12% D: 23%
Ryan thought it was toasted grasshoppers, but he uses the 50/50 to be sure.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves grilled cactus fruits and toasted grasshoppers.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
B: Toasted grasshoppers

Not exactly what I'd choose for a ballpark snack.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Posts: 5831
Location: Montana
Quote:
$7,000
Which of the following is neither an extinct bird, nor a post-WWI art movement, nor the musician who performed the 1999 smash hit “Thank You”?
A: Dodo B: Dada
C: Dadi D: Dido

:cry: Dada :x

_________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And clowns.

Rick Castle is dreamy.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.