Things that make you scratch your head

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Things that make you scratch your head

#1 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:09 am

When I try to open the thread I started See that button at the top, on the right? and I'm NOT logged in, I get blocked due to "Adult Content". No other thread on the front page does that. When I'm logged in, it opens and I can read it.

This has happened before on certain threads, but I just now made the logged in vs. not logged in connection.

I can open other threads where AJ is the last poster, or where LB has posted somewhere, so I'm not sure why our filter blocks it, and why only if I'm not logged in.

Strange.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

Re: Things that make you scratch your head

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Biting my tongue.

Biting my tongue.

Biting my tongue.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Here's something that makes me scratch my head. I use a CPAP and therefore need distilled water to fill its humidifier. I went to the local grocery store to buy some. I had the ability to choose between generic distilled water and a couple of brand names. The generic distilled water was maybe 20% cheaper than the brand name.

That part I get. The part I don't get is why anyone would buy the brand name. It's distilled water after all. It's not like there should be any quality or taste differences (or any other differences discernible without a chem lab) between them. So why would anyone spend the extra money to get brand name distilled water instead of generic store brand? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Here's something that makes me scratch my head. I use a CPAP and therefore need distilled water to fill its humidifier. I went to the local grocery store to buy some. I had the ability to choose between generic distilled water and a couple of brand names. The generic distilled water was maybe 20% cheaper than the brand name.

That part I get. The part I don't get is why anyone would buy the brand name. It's distilled water after all. It's not like there should be any quality or taste differences (or any other differences discernible without a chem lab) between them. So why would anyone spend the extra money to get brand name distilled water instead of generic store brand? --Bob
I use it for a netty pot, nasal thing. Peeps probably buy name brand for same reason they won't buy store ice creams, or really any thing nowadays. Unless ya got a coupon generic is the way to go. Courtesy of coipon king hub...plus I agree.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Here's something that makes me scratch my head. I use a CPAP and therefore need distilled water to fill its humidifier. I went to the local grocery store to buy some. I had the ability to choose between generic distilled water and a couple of brand names. The generic distilled water was maybe 20% cheaper than the brand name.

I use it for a netty pot, nasal thing. Peeps probably buy name brand for same reason they won't buy store ice creams, or really any thing nowadays. Unless ya got a coupon generic is the way to go. Courtesy of coipon king hub...plus I agree.
Most of these things I understand -- brand name ice cream may taste different or have a different texture from store brand ice cream. I just can't fathom it for a pure commodity like distilled water. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Bob78164 wrote: Most of these things I understand -- brand name ice cream may taste different or have a different texture from store brand ice cream.
You do understand that store brand ice cream is made by the same manufacturers who make brand name ice cream.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:14 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob78164 wrote: Most of these things I understand -- brand name ice cream may taste different or have a different texture from store brand ice cream.
You do understand that store brand ice cream is made by the same manufacturers who make brand name ice cream.
But sometimes to a different formula.

Even if not, I can understand consumers believing that there might be qualitative differences between them and being willing to pay more for them. But I can't see how anyone could think that for distilled water. --Bob

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes, often Blue Bell, but my favorite, Dreyer's, is unique. Lately though, we've been making our own.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Sorry, Kroger has some pretty dang good ice crean. Of course nothing beats rum raisin for maintenance.
Well, then

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Of course nothing beats rum for maintenance.
Fixed it for ya!
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Or, as Freakonomics pointed out long ago, why do people pay extra for "premium" vodka. The whole point of distilling vodka is to make it clear, tasteless, and unencumbered by anything that would give it flavor. I have been daring vodka snobs of my acquaintance for years to take a blind taste test. Four shot glasses, chilled vodka in each one. Three of them contain various high end brands, one contains Dark Eyes (or Heaven Hill, or any other rotgut they want to name). Four trials, with the glasses randomized each time. They pick the Dark Eyes all four times, I'll pay them $100, at which time they can buy maybe two of their favorite bottles of vodka. They either turn me down, or fail.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:24 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Or, as Freakonomics pointed out long ago, why do people pay extra for "premium" vodka. The whole point of distilling vodka is to make it clear, tasteless, and unencumbered by anything that would give it flavor. I have been daring vodka snobs of my acquaintance for years to take a blind taste test. Four shot glasses, chilled vodka in each one. Three of them contain various high end brands, one contains Dark Eyes (or Heaven Hill, or any other rotgut they want to name). Four trials, with the glasses randomized each time. They pick the Dark Eyes all four times, I'll pay them $100, at which time they can buy maybe two of their favorite bottles of vodka. They either turn me down, or fail.
I drink Tito's which is made from corn - gluten free.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:22 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

mrkelley23

#14 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:14 am

Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Or, as Freakonomics pointed out long ago, why do people pay extra for "premium" vodka. The whole point of distilling vodka is to make it clear, tasteless, and unencumbered by anything that would give it flavor. I have been daring vodka snobs of my acquaintance for years to take a blind taste test. Four shot glasses, chilled vodka in each one. Three of them contain various high end brands, one contains Dark Eyes (or Heaven Hill, or any other rotgut they want to name). Four trials, with the glasses randomized each time. They pick the Dark Eyes all four times, I'll pay them $100, at which time they can buy maybe two of their favorite bottles of vodka. They either turn me down, or fail.
I mean, you do you, man. But you might want to read up onthe chemistry of distilled spirits.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:37 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
I mean, you do you, man. But you might want to read up on the chemistry of distilled spirits.
They must add something back or all vodkas would taste the same as USP ethanol. I'm not gluten sensitive, BTW.

BackInTex

#16 Post by BackInTex » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Yes, often Blue Bell, but my favorite, Dreyer's, is unique. Lately though, we've been making our own.
I'm not sure which part of SSS's statement you are referencing re: Blue Bell, but I don't think they make anything but Blue Bell products. No generic, no store brands.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:21 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
I'm not sure which part of SSS's statement you are referencing re: Blue Bell, but I don't think they make anything but Blue Bell products. No generic, no store brands.
IIRC, when they had the Listeria incident about five years ago they had to recall many store brands too.

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Bob Juch wrote: IIRC, when they had the Listeria incident about five years ago they had to recall many store brands too.
Pretty sure you're not recalling correctly. My research shows no other brand recalls. There were other Blue Bell brand products (ice cream bars, ice cream cookie sandwiches, yogurt bars, etc.), but all were Blue Bell branded.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: IIRC, when they had the Listeria incident about five years ago they had to recall many store brands too.
Pretty sure you're not recalling correctly. My research shows no other brand recalls. There were other Blue Bell brand products (ice cream bars, ice cream cookie sandwiches, yogurt bars, etc.), but all were Blue Bell branded.
You may be right on store brands.

The recall you linked to was just one of several. http://fortune.com/2015/09/25/blue-bell ... ia-recall/

mrkelley23

#20 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: I drink Tito's which is made from corn - gluten free.
I mean, you do you, man. But you might want to read up on the chemistry of distilled spirits.
They must add something back or all vodkas would taste the same as USP ethanol. I'm not gluten sensitive, BTW.
The only times they add something back is when they want to adulterate the vodka -- like fruit flavors or something. The fancy vodkas (like Tito's -- handmade, lol) always claim that they're "triple distilled" or some nonsense, trying to imply they're somehow even more tasteless than the cheap stuff, I guess. What they add is basically distilled water, to bring down the proof from USP to 80%. Like I said, whatever makes you happy is fine. Just remember, the next time you pay $20-25 for a bottle of Tito's, you could buy Dark Eyes for 7 bucks and not be able to tell the difference.