Another Caltech alumnus

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Another Caltech alumnus

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 pm

Michael Rosbash, Caltech '65, was one of today's winners of the Nobel Prize for Medicine and Physiology. I'm not sure how many of our almuni are Nobel Laureates, but given the size of our student body (about 800 undergraduates) I'm pretty sure it's a lot. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

Re: Another Caltech alumnus

#2 Post by jarnon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:01 am

Add to the list: Barry Barish and your friend Kip Thorne.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Another Caltech alumnus

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:22 am

jarnon wrote:Add to the list: Barry Barish and your friend Kip Thorne.
Barry Barish is faculty. Kip Thorne is both an alumnus and former faculty. He was already revered on campus when I was there.

This one truly delights me. I remember a ceremony early in my time at Tech (I think it may have been Murph Goldberger's inauguration as President of Caltech) when the instrument that became LIGO was first described. I thought at the time it was immensely cool. I think this Prize has been widely anticipated ever since LIGO detected gravity waves.

Very proud of my school this week. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson