WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: R.I.P. Y. A. Tittle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:10 pm 

Hall of Fame quarterback Y.A. Tittle dies at age 90

Quote:
Y.A. Tittle, the Hall of Fame quarterback and 1963 NFL MVP, has died. He was 90.

His family confirmed to LSU, where Tittle starred in college, that he died Sunday night at Stanford Hospital near his home in Atherton, California.

Known as "The Bald Eagle" as much for his sturdy leadership as his prematurely receding hairline, Tittle played 17 seasons of pro football. He began with the All-America Football Conference's Baltimore Colts in 1948 and finished with the NFL's New York Giants. He played 10 years in between with the San Francisco 49ers but had his greatest success in New York, leading the Giants to three division titles in four years in a remarkable late-career surge.

Tittle never won a championship but came to personify the competitive spirit of football, thanks to an iconic photo taken by Dozier Mobley during Tittle's final season in 1964.

Last edited by BackInTex on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Y. A. Title
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm 

RIP. I met him in the 70s, after he had retired and moved back to the Bay Area.

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Y. A. Title
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 pm 

When I was growing up in Florida, the local TV station usually covered the Giants game every week (there were no NFL teams in the south then) and I became a fan, largely because of Tittle's play. I've remained loyal for 50+ years, although seasons like this one can be very trying.

A bad season just got a bit worse.

RIP.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Y. A. Tittle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:55 pm 

silverscreenselect wrote:
When I was growing up in Florida, the local TV station usually covered the Giants game every week (there were no NFL teams in the south then) and I became a fan, largely because of Tittle's play. I've remained loyal for 50+ years, although seasons like this one can be very trying.

A bad season just got a bit worse.

RIP.

I remembered after my initial response that when I was working in Alpharetta, one of the people I played NTN against was a former 49er who played with both Tittle and John Brodie. He had everything good to say about Tittle.

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Y. A. Tittle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 pm 
No Scritches!!!

This won me a couple trivia contests -- what does the Y.A. stand for. Yelberton Abraham.

I think of him the same as George Blanda. They seemed immortal.