Transcript 9/22/2017b - Patrick Friel (carryover contestant)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 9/22/2017b - Patrick Friel (carryover contestant)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 am

(shown in the first slot on 1/5/18)

Patrick Friel
Los Angeles, CA
High school teacher

Patrick has never driven a car. He likes to travel and has been all around the world. Patrick has all his lifelines remaining.

$50,000: Signed into law in 1968, what was the last federal holiday to be established before Martin Luther King Day was created in 1983?
A - Labor Day
B - Thanksgiving
C - Veterans Day
D - Columbus Day

Patrick wants to ask the audience. He tells the audience not to vote if they don't know.
Spoiler
Ask the Audience results:
A - 30%
B - 7%
C - 42%
D - 21%

That's not good enough, so Patrick uses his 50:50.
Spoiler
50:50 results: A & D

Spoiler
Answer: D (Columbus Day)

$100,000: Over David Letterman's 33 years in late-night TV, which of these people appeared the most times as a guest on his shows?
A - Tom Brokaw
B - Marv Albert
C - Regis Philbin
D - Jack Hanna

Patrick calls down Brian, his +1. Brian thought the answer was
Spoiler
C
before the answers were revealed. He's reasonably confident that's the right answer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Regis Philbin)

$250,000: Causing the audience to erupt into a standing ovation, Apple's Macintosh "spoke" during its 1984 debut, saying "Hello, I'm Macintosh" followed by what?
A - "So this is what the future looks like."
B - "Let me start by complimenting your tie."
C - "It sure is great to get out of that box."
D - "Let's make your dreams come true."

Patrick doesn't know so he walks away with his $100,000.
Spoiler
Answer: C ("It sure is great to get out of that box.")

commercial break
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

earendel

Re: Transcript 9/22/2017b - Patrick Friel (carryover contest

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Patrick Friel
Los Angeles, CA
High school teacher

Patrick has never driven a car. He likes to travel and has been all around the world. Patrick has all his lifelines remaining.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000: Signed into law in 1968, what was the last federal holiday to be established before3 Martin Luther King Day was created in 1983?
A - Labor Day
B - Thanksgiving
C - Veterans Day
D - Columbus Day

Patrick wants to ask the audience. He tells the audience not to vote if they don't know.
Spoiler
Ask the Audience results:
A - 30%
B - 7%
C - 42%
D - 21%

That's not good enough, so Patrick uses his 50:50.
[spoiler="50:50 results": A & D[/spoiler]
Spoiler
Answer: D (Columbus Day)
I don't think Patrick understood how the ATA works - the percentages are based on the number of buttons pushed for each choice, so if only 4 people answered and each one chose a different answer, the results would be 25% each.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$250,000: Causing the audience to erupt into a standing position, Apple's Macintosh "spoke" during its 1984 debut, saying "Hello, I'm Macintosh" followed by what?
A - "So this is what the future looks like."
B - "Let me start by complimenting your tie."
C - "It sure is great to get out of that box."
D - "Let's make your dreams come true."
Spoiler
Answer: C ("It sure is great to get out of that box.")

Patrick doesn't know so he walks away with his $100,000.
I would still have ATA and +1, but I don't know if either of these would help. Still, might as well burn them, starting with ATA.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000: Over David Letterman's 33 years in late-night TV, which of these people appeared the most times as a guest on his shows?
A - Tom Brokaw
B - Marv Albert
C - Regis Philbin
D - Jack Hanna

Spoiler
C
before the answers were revealed. He's reasonably confident that's the right answer.
Spoiler
Spoiler
If they are just talking appearances, then, sure, it's Regis. But appearing "as a guest" to me, implies sitting next to the desk for a segment. Many of Regis' "appearances" were in taped bits that lasted for a minute or two, often from remote locations. I think "appearances" are not the same as "guest appearances."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

TheConfessor

#4 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:09 am

Estonut wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000: Over David Letterman's 33 years in late-night TV, which of these people appeared the most times as a guest on his shows?
A - Tom Brokaw
B - Marv Albert
C - Regis Philbin
D - Jack Hanna

Spoiler
C
Spoiler
Spoiler
If they are just talking appearances, then, sure, it's Regis. But appearing "as a guest" to me, implies sitting next to the desk for a segment. Many of Regis' "appearances" were in taped bits that lasted for a minute or two, often from remote locations. I think "appearances" are not the same as "guest appearances."
I agree, but do you have any reason to think the correct answer to the question is someone other than Regis? He sat in the guest chair many times. In the early days of the show, Tony Randall was often booked as a last minute guest, but Regis seemed to take over that role as a local guy who could always fill in on short notice.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:06 am

TheConfessor wrote:
Estonut wrote:
A - Tom Brokaw
B - Marv Albert
C - Regis Philbin
D - Jack Hanna

Spoiler
C
Spoiler
Spoiler
I agree, but do you have any reason to think the correct answer to the question is someone other than Regis? He sat in the guest chair many times. In the early days of the show, Tony Randall was often booked as a last minute guest, but Regis seemed to take over that role as a local guy who could always fill in on short notice.
I would not have been surprised had it been Marv Albert. For many years, he seemed to be one once a month, at the least, until his sex scandal.

The first few years of the show, I remember Dave doing remotes and whenever anyone would ask him who he is or he signed an autograph, he always said "Regis Philbin." I knew the name but didn't even know who he was until years later, so I don't believe he appeared that much on "Late Night," at least in the first few years. Once Dave started "The Late Show," Regis was there all the time. I remember the night he first plugged WWtBaM. He and Dave laughed about the name and agreed, "who wouldn't?" Dave made some sarcastic comment to the effect that it sounds like a real winner.

Checking IMDB listings, Regis' number for LNwDL seems awfully low, but it jibes with my memory:
Late Night with David Letterman:
Regis: 10 (with only 2 in the first 5 years)
Marv: 59

Late Show with David Letterman:
Regis: 125
Marv: 49
Groucho Marx

Jet

#6 Post by Jet » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:05 pm

The Brian who was the Plus-One here is Brian Fodera, who was the second contestant to miss the $100 contestant back on the original primetime show in January 2000. He later returned to the primetime show for a Second Chance edition in 2001 and won $16,000. How ironic that he would be asked to help out on a question the answer to which was Regis Philbin, who hosted the show when he appeared on it.

I'm pretty sure Patrick understood how the ATA works. If 20 people in the audience know the correct answer for a fact, and the other 80 people just guess randomly, the percentages would figure to be something like 40/20/20/20. If the 20 who are certain vote and the rest abstain, the percentages would be closer to 100/0/0/0. Given that not all who feel certain will actually be right, it would probably be more like 75/15/10/0, which is much more helpful than something like 35/30/22/13, which is something like what you'd get due to statistical noise if everyone guesses.

K.P.

#7 Post by K.P. » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Still, if you think you're gonna get audience members to not vote, you're sadly mistaken. They're there to be a part of the experience as well. You might even get audience members giving spite votes with a request like that.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:04 pm

K.P. wrote:Still, if you think you're gonna get audience members to not vote, you're sadly mistaken. They're there to be a part of the experience as well. You might even get audience members giving spite votes with a request like that.
I was going to mention that, but forgot to get back to this thread. The audience has but a few chances to be part of the game, so this strategy has never gone as hoped.
Groucho Marx