Senator Flake's speech

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Senator Flake's speech

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona announced today in a speech from the Senate floor that he will not run for re-election. Here is his full speech.

It's a very worthwhile read. If the Republican party were like this today (and had been like this during the Obama Administration), we wouldn't be where we are today. I hope more Republican Senators follow his example and that of Senator Corker. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

Re: Senator Flake's speech

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona announced today in a speech from the Senate floor that he will not run for re-election. Here is his full speech.

It's a very worthwhile read. If the Republican party were like this today (and had been like this during the Obama Administration), we wouldn't be where we are today. I hope more Republican Senators follow his example and that of Senator Corker. --Bob
I agree with Senator Flake. A courageous voice for the republican party. I hope the President will hear it.
I would like to see an equally courageous voice from the democrat party who would be brave enough to point out their own complicity in the breakdown of discourse. Unfortunately, I don't think either will ever happen.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Flake's seat in Arizona was already seen as pretty much of a tossup for 2018, so it's definitely in play. The Democrats have so many seats they are defending, including a number in tough states like IN, MT, ND, and MO, that retaking the Senate was a long shot, but a pickup in Arizona would probably help them maintain the status quo.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:22 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona announced today in a speech from the Senate floor that he will not run for re-election. Here is his full speech.

I agree with Senator Flake. A courageous voice for the republican party. I hope the President will hear it.
I would like to see an equally courageous voice from the democrat party who would be brave enough to point out their own complicity in the breakdown of discourse. Unfortunately, I don't think either will ever happen.
I really think this is a false equivalence.

The Democratic Party by and large hasn't accepted this kind of conduct. When Congress was crafting the Affordable Care Act, Republicans were invited to the table and the final version of the Act included a number of Republican proposals. Republicans, in contrast, are insisting on trying to craft legislation without any Democratic input of any kind.

And of course, there are no prominent Democratic voices who are remotely close to the consistent barrage of incivility and outright falsehood that Donny has unleashed. If there were, I'm confident that my party would stand in opposition to that conduct. Most Congressional Republicans, in contrast, are demonstrating that keeping their jobs is more important to them than standing up for the country. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm glad I live in a state with two of the more sensible Republican Senators.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

The Democratic Party by and large hasn't accepted this kind of conduct. When Congress was crafting the Affordable Care Act, Republicans were invited to the table and the final version of the Act included a number of Republican proposals. Republicans, in contrast, are insisting on trying to craft legislation without any Democratic input of any kind.

And of course, there are no prominent Democratic voices who are remotely close to the consistent barrage of incivility and outright falsehood that Donny has unleashed. If there were, I'm confident that my party would stand in opposition to that conduct. Most Congressional Republicans, in contrast, are demonstrating that keeping their jobs is more important to them than standing up for the country. --Bob
Well, bob, you only see things from your echo chamber. democrats have been uncivil for a looooong time now, and you think it's normal. From calling anyone who disagrees with them a the R-word, sexist, whatever-have-youist, to Hillary Clinton for 30 years labeling everyone who questions her actions part of some 'vast right wing conspiracy', right up to now and the childish 'resistance' that you play along with. Trump is a reaction to that, but a poorly chosen one. So blame yoourselves. trump is a jerk, but so are you and all your 'resistance' buddies. You are all juvenile, childish and are putting your own selfish pride before the good of the country.

While I agree with you that any wide ranging legislation should have some bi-partisan support, you have no finger to point with when the taking over of 1/5th of our economy by the government passed without one single bi-partisan vote, and the without a majority of public support. "Republicans were invited to the table and the final version of the Act included a number of Republican proposals". I call BS on that one, bob. Even Nancy Pelosi didn't know what was in the bill until it was passed by DEMOCRATS ONLY.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:38 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: "Republicans were invited to the table and the final version of the Act included a number of Republican proposals". I call BS on that one, bob. Even Nancy Pelosi didn't know what was in the bill until it was passed by DEMOCRATS ONLY.
Not surprisingly Flock, you would be wrong.
When Democrats passed the Affordable Care Act in 2010 without a single Republican vote, they were criticized for being too partisan. In the end, however, the bill included many Republican ideas.

The keystone principle of the act — a mandate that all Americans buy health insurance — is rooted in conservative thinking. Additionally, the Democrat-controlled House and Senate committees adopted nearly 190 Republican amendments while writing the legislation, according to data compiled by The New York Times.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ments.html

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: I agree with Senator Flake. A courageous voice for the republican party. I hope the President will hear it.

Well, bob, you only see things from your echo chamber. democrats have been uncivil for a looooong time now, and you think it's normal. From calling anyone who disagrees with them a the R-word, sexist, whatever-have-youist, to Hillary Clinton for 30 years labeling everyone who questions her actions part of some 'vast right wing conspiracy', right up to now and the childish 'resistance' that you play along with. Trump is a reaction to that, but a poorly chosen one. So blame yoourselves. trump is a jerk, but so are you and all your 'resistance' buddies. You are all juvenile, childish and are putting your own selfish pride before the good of the country.

While I agree with you that any wide ranging legislation should have some bi-partisan support, you have no finger to point with when the taking over of 1/5th of our economy by the government passed without one single bi-partisan vote, and the without a majority of public support. "Republicans were invited to the table and the final version of the Act included a number of Republican proposals". I call BS on that one, bob. Even Nancy Pelosi didn't know what was in the bill until it was passed by DEMOCRATS ONLY.
Then you have your facts wrong, as well as misreading what I wrote. I didn't say bipartisan support -- that would give the minority party a veto over proposed legislation. I said bipartisan input. The Affordable Care Act was originally a Republican idea, and its final version included numerous Republican amendments. The process was open, consisting of numerous public hearings in at least three committees. That's why it lasted more than a year, and that's why it's worked well enough that repeal was going to be enormously unpopular.

In contrast, the Republicans chose to attempt to take health care from approximately 30 million people via a secretive process with no Democratic input whatsoever (and hardly any Republican input). It's emblematic of the process that the Republicans put together a working group to discuss women's health that didn't include a single woman in the room. (The pictures were all over the Internet at the time.) That's why the policy consequences of their bill would have been catastrophic. And the Republicans appear to be going the same route with tax reform.

As Senator Flake said, what Donny has been doing to the country is not normal, and must never be normal. I can now only hope that enough Republicans see it that way for Congress to start acting as an actual counterweight to Donny. But next year I'll be doing more than hoping. I'll be doing my level best to see that the country need not rely on a Republican majority that has been completely unwilling, as an institution, to place country over party. --Bob

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 am

silverscreenselect wrote: The keystone principle of the act — a mandate that all Americans buy health insurance — is rooted in conservative thinking.
That is one of the most laughable things you've written. That principle is in no way conservative. Not in the least.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:28 am

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote: The keystone principle of the act — a mandate that all Americans buy health insurance — is rooted in conservative thinking.
That is one of the most laughable things you've written. That principle is in no way conservative. Not in the least.
Of course conservatives want the government to mandate we buy health insurance. We conservatives want the government to tell us everything we need to do and what we can't do. SSS knows everything about conservatism, as he's shown in the past. We only say we want limited government as a dog whistle to the base of deplorables.

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 am

Then you have your facts wrong, as well as misreading what I wrote. I didn't say bipartisan support -- that would give the minority party a veto over proposed legislation
My facts are correct. No one knew what the final bill was even when they voted on it. Even Pelosi admitted that. And only democrats voted for it. And the main fact is that the whole concept of Obamacare is fatally flawed, which is why it received 0% support from republicans.

For something that will affect all citizens this drastically, a law must be passed on a bi-partisan basis. I have no problem with a rational minority party having a veto over proposed legislation of this type. That is the way it is supposed to work, bob. Otherwise, it is called tyranny. Are the republicans doing the same thing here? It is hard to say because of idiots like you. The current mob of dems would vote down a cure for cancer because, like you, they have vowed to sabotage anything trump says or does.

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 am

Of course conservatives want the government to mandate we buy health insurance. We conservatives want the government to tell us everything we need to do and what we can't do. SSS knows everything about conservatism, as he's shown in the past. We only say we want limited government as a dog whistle to the base of deplorables.
If you look at the bill the Republicans proposed in 1993 as an alternative to Clinton's universal health care proposal, you'll find it was very much like Obamacare, as was Romneycare, passed by Massachusetts while Romney was governor. A number of the sponsors of the Republican 1993 proposal were still around in 2009 when Obamacare was being debated.

If Clinton had pivoted in 1993 and adopted the Republican proposal as a compromise, we would have had our current system for a quarter of a century.

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:07 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
If you look at the bill the Republicans proposed in 1993 as an alternative to Clinton's universal health care proposal, you'll find it was very much like Obamacare, as was Romneycare, passed by Massachusetts while Romney was governor. A number of the sponsors of the Republican 1993 proposal were still around in 2009 when Obamacare was being debated.

If Clinton had pivoted in 1993 and adopted the Republican proposal as a compromise, we would have had our current system for a quarter of a century.
No healthcare bill was passed in 1993. If we looked at everything that was proposed and wasn't passed and used that as a debate point, we could justify anything.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Then you have your facts wrong, as well as misreading what I wrote. I didn't say bipartisan support -- that would give the minority party a veto over proposed legislation
My facts are correct. No one knew what the final bill was even when they voted on it. Even Pelosi admitted that. And only democrats voted for it. And the main fact is that the whole concept of Obamacare is fatally flawed, which is why it received 0% support from republicans.

For something that will affect all citizens this drastically, a law must be passed on a bi-partisan basis. I have no problem with a rational minority party having a veto over proposed legislation of this type. That is the way it is supposed to work, bob. Otherwise, it is called tyranny. Are the republicans doing the same thing here? It is hard to say because of idiots like you. The current mob of dems would vote down a cure for cancer because, like you, they have vowed to sabotage anything trump says or does.
The Affordable Care Act is so flawed that it now enjoys majority support from the American public. It's so flawed that it has driven the rate of uninsured to historic lows. If you consider that flawed, I can't help wondering what you'd need to consider it a success.

And Republicans plainly forfeited any claim to rationality when almost all of them voted to strip health insurance from tens of millions of people, knowing that the bill was a bad bill, simply because they preferred that option to actually negotiating with Democrats.

And you have no evidence that Democrats will obstruct anything rational that Donny proposes because (a) Donny really hasn't made any rational (or even intelligible) proposals and (b) the Republicans have insisted on trying to muscle through their headline proposals via a process that completely freezes out Democrats (as well as most Republicans). You can repeat that accusation credibly when Republicans start negotiating with Democrats. I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen. Hell, the Alexander-Murray compromise is clear evidence that most Republicans are unwilling to accept compromise because right now an awful lot of Republicans have come out against it.

We'll regain rationality in Congress when at least one House has a Democratic majority. Notwithstanding the gerrymandering that occurred after the 2010 census, it looks entirely possible that the House will flip. I'll be working toward that end, particularly with at least seven targets of opportunity right here in California. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#15 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 pm

We'll regain rationality in Congress when at least one House has a Democratic majority. Notwithstanding the gerrymandering that occurred after the 2010 census, it looks entirely possible that the House will flip. I'll be working toward that end, particularly with at least seven targets of opportunity right here in California. --Bob
Keep doing what you're doing: offering nothing but accusations and division, and you will keep getting the results that Jon Ossoff got. I could argue with you and SSS all day, but it really doesn't matter if you disagree with my views about anything. You just need to come to grips with the fact that a lot of people outside your echo chamber vehemently disagree with yours. And you will get nowhere if all you do is continue to insult them and look down on them as not being as smart or compassionate as you. That doesn't convince anyone that you're right, but it convinces many that you're wrong.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Keep doing what you're doing: offering nothing but accusations and division, and you will keep getting the results that Jon Ossoff got. I could argue with you and SSS all day, but it really doesn't matter if you disagree with my views about anything. You just need to come to grips with the fact that a lot of people outside your echo chamber vehemently disagree with yours. And you will get nowhere if all you do is continue to insult them and look down on them as not being as smart or compassionate as you. That doesn't convince anyone that you're right, but it convinces many that you're wrong.
Nothing I've said attributes bad motives to voters. I do think that Senator Flake was absolutely right when he accused his Republican Congressional colleagues of prioritizing their own personal positions over the good of the country. Senator Flake has cast a lot of votes that I disagree with (including his vote last night to allow banks to continue imposing class action waivers on consumers), votes that I think are plainly contrary to the best interests of the American people, but that attitude I can respect.

Based on the results of the Presidential election, I'm starting with a plurality of the American people agreeing with my policy views. I'm pretty sure that plurality has grown significantly since the inauguration. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Nothing I've said attributes bad motives to voters. I do think that Senator Flake was absolutely right when he accused his Republican Congressional colleagues of prioritizing their own personal positions over the good of the country. Senator Flake has cast a lot of votes that I disagree with (including his vote last night to allow banks to continue imposing class action waivers on consumers), votes that I think are plainly contrary to the best interests of the American people, but that attitude I can respect.

Based on the results of the Presidential election, I'm starting with a plurality of the American people agreeing with my policy views. I'm pretty sure that plurality has grown significantly since the inauguration. --Bob
You would think so in your echo chamber bubble. Neither of us knows for sure. But regardless of your side's deliberate sabotage and trump's self-sabotage, the economy is growing. That will benefit everyone. I hope it continues.
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:11 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Keep doing what you're doing: offering nothing but accusations and division, and you will keep getting the results that Jon Ossoff got.
While winning the Sixth District would be nice, there are a lot of other districts that have far less of a Republican lean that will be in play in the next election. If the Democrats "get the results that Jon Ossoff got" across the board, they will control the next House.

In lower special elections in state legislatures across the country, the Democrats have flipped several Republican seats this year already.

flockofseagulls104

#19 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Keep doing what you're doing: offering nothing but accusations and division, and you will keep getting the results that Jon Ossoff got.
While winning the Sixth District would be nice, there are a lot of other districts that have far less of a Republican lean that will be in play in the next election. If the Democrats "get the results that Jon Ossoff got" across the board, they will control the next House.

In lower special elections in state legislatures across the country, the Democrats have flipped several Republican seats this year already.
Maybe. Accusations and division has worked for the democrats in the past. That's why they keep using it. That and the fact that it is all they have.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#20 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:15 pm

Maybe. Accusations and division has worked for the democrats in the past. That's why they keep using it. That and the fact that it is all they have.
There are 30 million recent beneficiaries of health insurance who would beg to differ that that's all the Democrats have.

Would you mind reminding me of the Republican Congress's accomplishments? I can't seem to remember them. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#21 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

There are 30 million recent beneficiaries of health insurance who would beg to differ that that's all the Democrats have.

Would you mind reminding me of the Republican Congress's accomplishments? I can't seem to remember them. --Bob
I really enjoy the dems pointing the finger at the republican's inability to get anything out of congress when they have vowed to resist anything coming from trump. It's like pushing someone into the mud then accusing them of being dirty.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#22 Post by frogman042 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

I really enjoy the dems pointing the finger at the republican's inability to get anything out of congress when they have vowed to resist anything coming from trump. It's like pushing someone into the mud then accusing them of being dirty.
Flock,
I am curious, can you point me to a link to which dems vowed to resit 'anything' coming from President Trump? It's is one thing to oppose specific proposal's, it's another to vow to oppose anything, sight unseen - and I would like to see which dem's made that vow.

Thanks,

flockofseagulls104

#23 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:14 pm

frogman042 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:There are 30 million recent beneficiaries of health insurance who would beg to differ that that's all the Democrats have.

Flock,
I am curious, can you point me to a link to which dems vowed to resit 'anything' coming from President Trump? It's is one thing to oppose specific proposal's, it's another to vow to oppose anything, sight unseen - and I would like to see which dem's made that vow.

Thanks,
Do you watch the news? I know they don't feature them, because they are embarrassed about them, but these self styled SJWs are always at the staged demonstrations and all over the internet and in the congress. Here's one site. Find others.

https://www.theresistanceparty.org/

Oooh, here's another fun one. I'lll bet bob has read this one. Some of them are very nasty and spiteful. Most of them are childish.
http://99waystofighttrump.com

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:39 pm

frogman042 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: I really enjoy the dems pointing the finger at the republican's inability to get anything out of congress when they have vowed to resist anything coming from trump. It's like pushing someone into the mud then accusing them of being dirty.
Flock,

Thanks,
Do you watch the news? I know they don't feature them, because they are embarrassed about them, but these self styled SJWs are always at the staged demonstrations and all over the internet and in the congress. Here's one site. Find others.

https://www.theresistanceparty.org/

Oooh, here's another fun one. I'lll bet bob has read this one. Some of them are very nasty and spiteful. Most of them are childish.
http://99waystofighttrump.com
Flock,

I'm curious how many of these people are elected officials.

We can spend all day finding activist sites, left and right.

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:41 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Maybe. Accusations and division has worked for the democrats in the past. That's why they keep using it. That and the fact that it is all they have.
Wow, after the Republican tactics in the last presidential election?!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.