RIP George Young and Jimmy Beaumont

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

RIP George Young and Jimmy Beaumont

#1 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:06 pm

A couple of passings from the world of music. Neither were huge names, but both left their mark and deserve a nod in tribute...

GEORGE YOUNG Young was a guitarist for the Easybeats, co-writing the classic oldies radio staple "Friday On My Mind". In addition, he co-wrote and recorded (with long time collaborator and fellow ex-Easybeat member Harry Vanda) "Hey St. Peter" under the moniker Flash & The Pan...a minor hit in the U.S. but Top 10 in their native Australia. The duo had greater American success with another of their compositions, "Love Is In The Air", a Top 10 U.S. hit for John Paul Young in 1978.

Young was also the older brother of Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC and produced several of their early albums.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... z6f8n.html

JIMMY BEAUMONT was the lead singer of The Skyliners. As a member of that Doo-Wop vocal group, he co-wrote and sang one of the most enduring classics in the early days of rock 'n roll, the 1959 ballad "Since I Don't Have You". They also hit the Top 40 with a remake of "Pennies From Heaven" and another Doo-Wop ballad that I love, "This I Swear". Beaumont had been performing regularly up until about a month prior to his death, which was October 7th, although I never saw it mentioned until yesterday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/newswires/en ... -1.3551144

"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: RIP George Young and Jimmy Beaumont

#2 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:59 pm

I learned of the Easybeats thanks to David Bowie's cover of "Friday On My Mind" on his "Pin Ups" album. I read somewhere that Bowie's was the only cover that Harry Vanda ever liked.

I LOVED "Flash and the Pan," obscure as it was. KROQ played "Hey, St. Peter" and, to a lesser extent, "California." I was on a kick listening to that album for a week or two. One buddy heard some of the muddled lyrics in one of the other songs and said, "What is that crap you're listening to?" A week later, he had purchased the album and loved it, too.

RIP, George. Thanks for the great tunes and memories!

I'm nowhere near as familiar with Jimmy Beaumont's work, but thanks for being a rock n' roll pioneer. RIP
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: RIP George Young and Jimmy Beaumont

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 am

Estonut wrote:I LOVED "Flash and the Pan," obscure as it was. KROQ played "Hey, St. Peter" and, to a lesser extent, "California." I was on a kick listening to that album for a week or two. One buddy heard some of the muddled lyrics in one of the other songs and said, "What is that crap you're listening to?" A week later, he had purchased the album and loved it, too.

RIP, George. Thanks for the great tunes and memories!P

When I read this RIP announcement yesterday, and TBone brought up that song... the first thing I thought of was that it was your song choice for the ES LSWE game six years ago...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com