Transcript 10/30/17 Jay Alexander (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/30/17 Jay Alexander (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm

Jay Alexander
Sherman Oaks, CA
Jay tells the story of meeting a younger sister he didn't know he had several years ago who also loved WWTBAM. She has since passed away so this game is dedicated to her.
Jay has no lifelines remaining.

$100,000
If proper nouns were allowed in Scrabble, using only lettered tile values, which of these celebrity names would have the second-highest point total?
A: Zachary Quinto B: Chiwetel Ejiofor
C: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau D: Benedict Cumberbatch

Jay doesn't know the Scrabble letter values but he
Spoiler
thinks Zachary Quinto has two 10 point letters, so it's probably in the 30s. He isn't sure on the others but in the end, decides he has to pull the Band-Aid off

Spoiler
Jay guesses Zachary Quinto
The correct answer is D: Benedict Cumberbatch (37 pts; A was the most at 39 pts)
Jay wins $50,000

First commercial break

Agrajag

Re: Transcript 10/30/17 Jay Alexander (carryover)

#2 Post by Agrajag » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jay Alexander
Sherman Oaks, CA
Jay tells the story of meeting a younger sister he didn't know he had several years ago who also loved WWTBAM. She has since passed away so this game is dedicated to her.

$100,000
If proper nouns were allowed in Scrabble, using only lettered tile values, which of these celebrity names would have the second-highest point total?

Spoiler
thinks Zachary Quinto has two 10 point letters, so it's probably in the 30s. He isn't sure on the others but in the end, decides he has to pull the Band-Aid off

Spoiler
The correct answer is D: Benedict Cumberbatch (37 pts; A was the most at 39 pts)
Jay wins $50,000

First commercial break
I suspect a large chunk of thinking was cut out of the broadcast. It sounded like he started off thinking
Spoiler
A was the highest scoring name, and he did read the question correctly, knowing he needed the second highest name,
so I was quite surprised when he guessed that in the end.

For completists:
Spoiler
Zachary Quinto = 39
Chiwetel Ejiofor = 33
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau = 36
Benedict Cumberbatch = 37

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:39 am

100K: Dunno what lifelines I have left but use them. I think I could figure this out, which makes it dangerous.

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:51 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Jay Alexander
Sherman Oaks, CA
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000

Spoiler

Spoiler
Jay wins $50,000
I suspect this would have been a dream question for our resident Scrabble expert, franktangredi. As for me, I'd have taken the time to try and remember the tile values and would eventually have come up with the right answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."