Values voters and Roy Moore

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Re: Values voters and Roy Moore

#151 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:04 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Wow, hypocrisy is in full parade mode!
And that is the point of a full Senate ethics committee investigation, something Republicans are loathe to do when one of their own is accused. Franken didn't accuse the woman of being a liar or making things up and neither did anyone in a position of power in the Democratic party.

If you look at the way the Democrats have reacted to the Franken accusation and the way the Republicans (with the laudable exception of McCain) reacted to the Moore (and before that Trump) accusations, you'll see the difference between night and day.
While BJ is posting transcripts from MSNBC plants, you are saying that an ethics probe by a bunch of other guys many of whom probably have their own skeletons in the closet, is going to clear up everything.

OK, sure, SSS. No hypocrisy here.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

BackInTex

#152 Post by BackInTex » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Franken didn't accuse the woman of being a liar or making things up and neither did anyone in a position of power in the Democratic party.
One shouldn't when the accuser is telling the truth. What is so odd about that?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#153 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Franken didn't accuse the woman of being a liar or making things up and neither did anyone in a position of power in the Democratic party.
One shouldn't when the accuser is telling the truth. What is so odd about that?
Nothing, unless you're a Republican.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#154 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am

I'm super glad my BSA popcorn got delivered this morning. I'm going to need it. The contortions are better than a Cirque show.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Vandal
Director of Promos

#155 Post by Vandal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:06 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#156 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:12 pm

tlynn78 wrote:I'm super glad my BSA popcorn got delivered this morning. I'm going to need it. The contortions are better than a Cirque show.
The Boy Scouts are selling popcorn? The Girl Scouts win.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#157 Post by jarnon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Regarding BJ's quotes from Dan Latuff and Shelly Duarte:
Victim shaming is wrong, whether Moore's supporters or BJ's sources do it. Franken was man enough to admit he acted inappropriately (as BJ also quoted). Democrats should heed Michelle Obama's advice: "When they go low, we go high."
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#158 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm

jarnon wrote:Regarding BJ's quotes from Dan Latuff and Shelly Duarte:
Victim shaming is wrong, whether Moore's supporters or BJ's sources do it. Franken was man enough to admit he acted inappropriately (as BJ also quoted). Democrats should heed Michelle Obama's advice: "When they go low, we go high."
I don't see where anyone blamed the victim, they questioned if she was a victim.

silverscreenselect

#159 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
I don't see where anyone blamed the victim, they questioned if she was a victim.
Unfortunately, that's just what Moore's supporters and the Breitbart hit squads did as well.

If there's an inquiry, then the facts will come out one way or another, unless Franken chooses to bow out of the Senate now.

But I would lay heavy odds that he's not going to be the last member of Congress to be accused over the next few months.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#160 Post by BackInTex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Vandal wrote:Image

That is SO wrong. Jim's dead and can't even defend himself.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#161 Post by BackInTex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Bob Juch wrote: I don't see where anyone blamed the victim, they questioned if she was a victim.
silverscreenselect wrote: Unfortunately, that's just what Moore's supporters and the Breitbart hit squads did as well.
I've yet to hear "It's all part of a vast left-wing conspiracy!".

If I've missed it, I'm sorry.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#162 Post by Spock » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm

One thought on Moore/Franken et al.

One political truism that I have noticed consistently over time is that Democrats tend to overplay their hand and it often backfires on them-(Versus Republicans who don't play their hand-but that is another story)

Knowing that that often happens makes day-to-day political events less anxiety-inducing.

A prime example was the Wellstone funeral in 2002.

Whether they overplayed the Moore card remains to be seen.

flockofseagulls104

#163 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Spock wrote:One thought on Moore/Franken et al.

One political truism that I have noticed consistently over time is that Democrats tend to overplay their hand and it often backfires on them-(Versus Republicans who don't play their hand-but that is another story)

Knowing that that often happens makes day-to-day political events less anxiety-inducing.

Republicans sit on their hands.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#164 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Republicans sit on their hands.
It makes it much easier for them to stick their thumbs up their butts.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#165 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Spock wrote:One thought on Moore/Franken et al.

The American people apparently decided in 1998 that the Republicans then in power were overplaying their hands. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#166 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:48 pm

It would be one thing if those comments were sourced. They're not. What I've seen claims that the (unnamed) photographer said something about the circumstances of the photograph that's contrary to the complainant's account. Until and unless there's a named source to that effect, such a report deserves no credence at all. Particularly when Franken himself acknowledges (at least tacitly) that he did not have her consent to stage the photograph.

By the way, in the photograph, there's clearly space between Franken's left hand and the complainant's body. Due to the camera angle, you can't (or at least I can't) tell whether that's also the case with respect to his right hand. Doesn't make the photograph any less objectionable, but it does mean that the photograph isn't (or may not be) an actual grope, as opposed to a mock grope, which would be a subtler sort of violation. I have real trouble imagining that I'll be able to support Franken's reelection (though his second statement was a step in the right direction), but if it's an isolated incident (and I give much less credence to the second account that emerged yesterday, though I do think that account also merits investigation), in my view it doesn't merit expulsion.

In any event, the Ethics Committee will get to the facts and that process is underway, and that's the body that would start the expulsion process. So even for those who believe Franken should lose his job over this right now, the process is underway. The present issue is whether the voters of Alabama will send Roy Moore to the Senate. And that's something that those voters still have direct control over. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#167 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
It would be one thing if those comments were sourced. They're not. What I've seen claims that the (unnamed) photographer said something about the circumstances of the photograph that's contrary to the complainant's account. Until and unless there's a named source to that effect, such a report deserves no credence at all. Particularly when Franken himself acknowledges (at least tacitly) that he did not have her consent to stage the photograph.

By the way, in the photograph, there's clearly space between Franken's left hand and the complainant's body. Due to the camera angle, you can't (or at least I can't) tell whether that's also the case with respect to his right hand. Doesn't make the photograph any less objectionable, but it does mean that the photograph isn't (or may not be) an actual grope, as opposed to a mock grope, which would be a subtler sort of violation. I have real trouble imagining that I'll be able to support Franken's reelection (though his second statement was a step in the right direction), but if it's an isolated incident (and I give much less credence to the second account that emerged yesterday, though I do think that account also merits investigation), in my view it doesn't merit expulsion.

In any event, the Ethics Committee will get to the facts and that process is underway, and that's the body that would start the expulsion process. So even for those who believe Franken should lose his job over this right now, the process is underway. The present issue is whether the voters of Alabama will send Roy Moore to the Senate. And that's something that those voters still have direct control over. --Bob
You are a piece of work.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#168 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Maybe if they used their hands more they'd assault women less.

flockofseagulls104

#169 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:21 am

For once I agree with you.

flockofseagulls104

#170 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:22 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Maybe if they used their hands more they'd assault women less.
Another piece of work.

flockofseagulls104

#171 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

You are a piece of work.
bob, you ought to run for congress. You would fit in so well.

elwoodblues

#172 Post by elwoodblues » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 pm

If a man is accused of sexual harassment and no one knows what his politics are, how will we know whose side to take?

tlynn78

#173 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:06 pm

elwoodblues wrote:If a man is accused of sexual harassment and no one knows what his politics are, how will we know if he's guilty?
Fixed it for you.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#174 Post by jarnon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

Vandal wrote:Weinstein's making a case for Time's Man of the Year.
Time turned it around:

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#175 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:23 pm

I think Senator Gillibrand has it right about Senator Franken. He has the right to have the Ethics Committee review the accusations against him. But he shouldn't exercise that right. He should resign. It's true that what Franken is accused of (and what I believe he did) doesn't approach the level of, say, a man in his thirties initiating sexual contact with a fourteen-year-old girl and repeatedly trolling high school functions and hang-outs to get dates. Nevertheless, there are enough highly credible accounts of utterly unacceptable conduct that I don't think he can effectively represent his constituents.

When the first incident surfaced, I'd hoped it was an isolated (if appalling) exercise of bad judgment. It's clear, now, that there was nothing isolated about it. --Bob