Transcript 11/16/17 Demetri Sedita (Whiz Kid)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 11/16/17 Demetri Sedita (Whiz Kid)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Whiz Kids get an extra lifeline—Cut the Question which can be used up to (and including) the $50,000 question

Demetri Sedita
Tampa, FL
Demetri is a 13-year-old who started his own environmental cleanup project to help save our oceans and waterways.

$500
Which was invented first?
A: Wireless internet B: High-Definition TV
C: Video conferencing D: The wheel

Spoiler
D: The wheel

$1,000
Which of these is the only choice that matches a chemical element with the actual person it's named after?
A: Lawrencium: Jennifer Lawrence B: Nickel: Nick Jonas
C: Copernicium: Nicolaus Copernicus D: Selenium: Selena Gomez

Spoiler
C: Copernicium: Nicolaus Copernicus

$2,000
What children's TV series tells of a famous pooch's early life, before he grew into a 25-foot-tall behemoth?
A: Pluto & Pals B: Clifford's Puppy Days
C: Lil' Snoopy D: Honey, I Shrunk Scooby-Doo

Spoiler
B: Clifford's Puppy Days

$3,000
When spelled backwards, which of the following words does NOT become a verb?
A: Plug B: Raps
C: Evil D: Lager

Spoiler
D: Lager

$5,000
A novelty T-shirt sold online urges voters to elect Marvel's Steve Rogers president in 2020. If he were to win, who would be our commander-in-chief?
A: The Incredible Hulk B: Captain America
C: Wolverine D: Daredevil

Spoiler
A: 3% B: 91% C: 1% D: 5%

Spoiler
B: Captain America

$7,000
If you toss a standard 20-sided die, what are the odds that you'll roll a prime number?
A: 5% B: 10%
C: 20% D: 40%

Demetri counts the number of primes under 20:
Spoiler
2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, & 19 so 8 out of 20 is...

Spoiler
D: 40%

Second commercial break

$10,000
Before the Panama Canal, the quickest sea route from NY to SF was the 14,000-mile slog around what rocky headland near South America's Tierra del Fuego?
A: Cape of Good Hope B: Iberian Peninsula
C: Cape Horn D: Rock of Gibraltar

Demetri knows that
Spoiler
the Iberian Peninsula & Rock of Gibraltar are both near Spain/Africa

Demetri Cuts the Question
Spoiler
Demetri would have guessed Cape Horn
The correct answer is C: Cape Horn

$10,000
Designed to reach into the mounded "homes" of its prey, what animal's tongue is so long that it's anchored to its breastbone?
A: Panda Bear B: Anteater
C: Goat D: Hummingbird

Spoiler
B: Anteater

Third commercial break
QotD wrote: During Banned Books Week in 2006, a Texas high school received a request to ban what book that's about banning books?
A: The Catcher in the Rye B: The Great Gatsby
C: Moby-Dick D: Fahrenheit 451

Spoiler
D: Fahrenheit 451
$20,000
By definition, what does a eukaryote have that a prokaryote doesn't?
A: Oxygen B: A spine
C: A nucleus D: Teeth

Spoiler
C: A nucleus

$30,000
A lasting legacy from the days when we were ruled by England, all but which of the following states are named after British royals?
A: Georgia B: Virginia
C: Louisiana D: South Carolina

Demetri
Spoiler
eliminates Georgia because of King George and Louisiana because there was a British king with that name. He struggles between Virginia and South Carolina. He doesn't think Virginia would be named after a royal. He doesn't think there was a Queen Carol either though. He is really leaning toward South Carolina, although he cannot think of any sort of name that Virginia could come from (besides the name Virginia)

Spoiler
Demetri guesses South Carolina
The correct answer is C: Louisiana (after France's Louis XIV)
Demetri wins $5,000
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 11/16/17 Demetri Sedita (Whiz Kid)

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 pm

5K: can eliminate wolverine & hulk. Pretty sure its Cap A but don't want to go out here, & sure 50/50 will leave daredevil & Cap A. So ATA

I have no idea what daredevil is/does, what their superpower if any is. As I said before I'm not up on Marvel Universe.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Whiz Kids get an extra lifeline—Cut the Question which can be used up to (and including) the $50,000 question

Demetri Sedita
Tampa, FL
Demetri is a 13-year-old who started his own environmental cleanup project to help save our oceans and waterways.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30,000
A lasting legacy from the days when we were ruled by England, all but which of the following states are named after British royals?
A: Georgia B: Virginia
C: Louisiana D: South Carolina

Demetri
Spoiler
eliminates Georgia because of King George and Louisiana because there was a British king with that name. He struggles between Virginia and South Carolina. He doesn't think Virginia would be named after a royal. He doesn't think there was a Queen Carol either though. He is really leaning toward South Carolina, although he cannot think of any sort of name that Virginia could come from (besides the name Virginia)

Spoiler
Demetri guesses South Carolina
The correct answer is C: Louisiana (after France's Louis XIV)
Demetri wins $5,000
Given that they spent time showing a video clip, I was pretty sure that he wouldn't be a carryover contestant. I was surprised when he thought Louis was a British king; I can understand his not knowing Virginia was named for Elizabeth I, the "virgin queen", and extracting "Charles" from "Carolina" would be challenging. I suspect the 50:50 would have left C and D.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#4 Post by earendel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:32 am

ghostjmf wrote:5K: can eliminate wolverine & hulk. Pretty sure its Cap A but don't want to go out here, & sure 50/50 will leave daredevil & Cap A. So ATA

I have no idea what daredevil is/does, what their superpower if any is. As I said before I'm not up on Marvel Universe.
Daredevil's alter ego is Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer. He was blinded as the result of an accident involving a truck carrying radioactive waste; his superpower is a "radar sense". He was portrayed by Ben Affleck in a dreadful 2003 movie and there's a current Netflix series also.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."