Ninja Coffee Bar

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Ritterskoop

Ninja Coffee Bar

#1 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:31 pm

I craved it just because of the name, for one thing.

Also I have been ready to get away from the K-cup because of the plastic sitting in the landfill. I used some of the cups with the netting instead of plastic but they didn't hold their flavor very well in storage, even in the sealed bags.

This device is great! It does not make true espresso, but it has settings that involve way more grounds of coffee per ounce of water, so it's concentrated enough for those of us who are not purists. I haven't tried the iced options (also more concentrated, allowing for the ice to melt and water down the mix).

I began with what they call a Flat White (it comes with a book of 40 recipes), which is 4 ounces at the 2- or 3x concentration, plus half a cup of milk which I frothed while it was brewing. The frother is nice but does NOT heat the milk. You either use it cold or nuke it, but again, not a purist, so I was fine with it.

There is a bit more cleanup than the Keurig, yes, but it's worth it for the no-plastics and the better taste.

I got this one on sale at Amazon for around $84. Now I'm off to the grocery story for some vanilla syrup to add to the next fancy drink!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

Re: Ninja Coffee Bar

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:43 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I craved it just because of the name, for one thing.

Also I have been ready to get away from the K-cup because of the plastic sitting in the landfill. I used some of the cups with the netting instead of plastic but they didn't hold their flavor very well in storage, even in the sealed bags.

This device is great! It does not make true espresso, but it has settings that involve way more grounds of coffee per ounce of water, so it's concentrated enough for those of us who are not purists. I haven't tried the iced options (also more concentrated, allowing for the ice to melt and water down the mix).

I began with what they call a Flat White (it comes with a book of 40 recipes), which is 4 ounces at the 2- or 3x concentration, plus half a cup of milk which I frothed while it was brewing. The frother is nice but does NOT heat the milk. You either use it cold or nuke it, but again, not a purist, so I was fine with it.

There is a bit more cleanup than the Keurig, yes, but it's worth it for the no-plastics and the better taste.

I got this one on sale at Amazon for around $84. Now I'm off to the grocery story for some vanilla syrup to add to the next fancy drink!
You could buy something like this to grind your own beans the way you like:

https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Grinde ... ee+Grinder
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:59 pm

I have a grinder. That's not part of the system.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:14 pm

I grind my Peet's decaf Sumatran, because real caf makes me jumpy (not in ice cream?oh well) & Sumatran has the most flavor after the decaf process. As well as being very full-flavored, what they like to call earthy, to start with.

I use the French press coffeemaker. I make it extra strong, because I'm going to put LOTSA cream in. Also Splenda.

If I wanted a latte, I'd heat & froth my own milk. You can froth with a *fork*. Or some fancier device.

I cannot understand why people will spend fortunes to escape coffee grounds. I don't love coffee grounds, who does. But I don't love any kind of cleanup. Who does?

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:13 pm

My sister, the collecter of gadgets, *does* have a small handheld powered-wand for frothing & it *does* do a better job than a fork. And makes less mess than an eggbeater, hand-driven or mechanical, or a whisk probably would. I'm not anti-gadget. I just like them not to take up a lot of room, if at all possible.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#6 Post by kayrharris » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 pm

I have a single cup coffee maker by Hamilton Beach that can use K-cups but also has an option to use ground coffee without having to buy one of those adapter thingies. I like it a lot. I can also determine how strong I want it.

Kay
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin