Show me the Money!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

Show me the Money!

#1 Post by Vandal » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:20 pm

Corey Seager, Texas Rangers agree on 10-year, $325M deal

Rangers sign second baseman Marcus Semien to a seven-year, $175 million contract

Max Scherzer joins the Mets on a three-year, $130M deal

Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma to coach USC football
- contract details (not confirmed):
- $110 million
- USC buying both his homes in Norman for $500,000 over asking ($1 million bonus)
- Buying a $6 million home in LA for him
- Unlimited use of the private jet 24/7 for family
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Show me the Money!

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 pm

Vandal wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:20 pm
- $110 million
- USC buying both his homes in Norman for $500,000 over asking ($1 million bonus)
This is why it pisses me off that players get into trouble if they get paid. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:03 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 pm
Vandal wrote:
- $110 million
This is why it pisses me off that players get into trouble if they get paid. --Bob
Totally agree.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:06 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Vandal wrote:
- $110 million
Brian Kelley is leaving Notre Dame for LSU and a 10-year contract worth $95 million plus incentives. This is somewhat surprising since Kelley's Notre Dame team may get invited to the BCS playoffs, depending on how next week's games turn out. Current LSU coach Ed Orgeron was pretty much forced into retirement two years after an undefeated national championship season. This year's LSU team never recovered from a season-opening loss to UCLA and had to beat Texas A&M in its finale to get to 6-6 and be bowl-eligible.

The news caught almost everyone at Notre Dame by surprise. Kelley had been out recruiting when LSU broke the news. He later informed his players by text message.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:25 am

Javy Baez signs with Tigers for a reported six years and $140 million.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:51 am

Mariners agree to a five-year, $115 million deal with reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Robbie Ray.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#7 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:58 am

This was a hot topic at Thanksgiving dinner, especially about the coaches. Most of the guests thought that there must be a mistake -- how could a football coach get that much? I assured them there was no mistake and tried to explain what a Final Four appearance means to a college. This is what I tried to say: "It helps us recruit students, enhances our ability to sell our program to the state legislature, and energizes alumni and others who might be called on for philanthropic support." That's quoting UConn's Philip Austin.

I read someplace that universities fund multi-million dollar research labs with sports revenues, therefore attracting top research professors and students. In other words, the benefit doesn't redound solely to athletics. Vandal's right -- show me the money!
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Vandal wrote:
- $110 million
Some are cashing in under the new Name/Image/Likeness (NIL) rules:

Among NIL's early winners, University of Alabama quarterback Bryce Young had had already earned close to $1 million in endorsement deals by late July. Fresno State twin sister basketball players Haley and Hanna Cavinder quickly landed deals with Six Star Pro Nutrition and Boost Mobile on the strength of their presence on Instagram and TikTok. All female athletes at Brigham Young University now have the opportunity to earn up to $6,000 during the academic year through a brand deal with SmartyStreets, a location data intelligence company. Female athletes who use their social media channels to share information about the company, attend and promote company events, appear as talent in marketing materials, and wear “SmartyStreets swag” will receive payment per activity — up to $3,000 per semester. So far, 294 athletes have signed up for the brand deal, Trent Howell, head of marketing at SmartyStreets, told IHE.

Bolding mine.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/operat ... ey-and-how
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Vandal wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:08 pm
Bob78164 wrote:
Vandal wrote:
- $110 million
Some are cashing in under the new Name/Image/Likeness (NIL) rules:

Among NIL's early winners, University of Alabama quarterback Bryce Young had had already earned close to $1 million in endorsement deals by late July. Fresno State twin sister basketball players Haley and Hanna Cavinder quickly landed deals with Six Star Pro Nutrition and Boost Mobile on the strength of their presence on Instagram and TikTok. All female athletes at Brigham Young University now have the opportunity to earn up to $6,000 during the academic year through a brand deal with SmartyStreets, a location data intelligence company. Female athletes who use their social media channels to share information about the company, attend and promote company events, appear as talent in marketing materials, and wear “SmartyStreets swag” will receive payment per activity — up to $3,000 per semester. So far, 294 athletes have signed up for the brand deal, Trent Howell, head of marketing at SmartyStreets, told IHE.

Bolding mine.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/operat ... ey-and-how
That's a start, though it's one that state legislatures (particularly California's) had to impose on the NCAA, kicking and screaming the whole way.

But I can't see any reason that it's appropriate to impose any limitation on the compensation available to players, unless that limitation also is imposed on coaches. The NCAA has gotten away with acting like a cartel for far too long. Some erosion is better than nothing, but I, for one, am not yet satisfied that justice is being done. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:19 pm

USC, UCLA Planning to Leave For Big Ten

In what would be the latest massive sea change in college sports realignment, USC and UCLA are in negotiations to leave the Pac-12 and join the Big Ten, sources told Sports Illustrated’s Ross Dellenger. News of the potential move was originally reported by Jon Wilner of The Mercury News.

USC and UCLA have each been members of the Pac-12 for at least 94 years. A shift to the Big Ten would come on the heels of Texas and Oklahoma leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.

The Pac-12 last expanded in 2011, when the league added Colorado and Utah. The Big Ten added Nebraska at that time and later added Maryland and Rutgers in 2014.

https://news.si.com/usc-ucla-planning-t ... RB5-a-pipI
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:58 pm

Vandal wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:19 pm
USC, UCLA Planning to Leave For Big Ten
Lots of fun road trips when USC and UCLA go to Maryland and Rutgers (and vice versa).

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 am

From Twitter:

USC and UCLA showing up for Big 10 road games in November

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:16 pm

Aaron Judge, Yankees agree to 9-year, $360 million contract to keep AL MVP in New York

The New York Yankees have made an unprecedented financial commitment to ensure reigning American League MVP Aaron Judge will finish his career in pinstripes. The free agent outfielder, who hit a AL-record 62 home runs last season has agreed to re-sign with the Yankees for a nine-year deal worth $360 million, according to a baseball official with direct knowledge of the contract.

The official spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because the deal has not been finalized and Judge needs to pass a physical.

Judge’s $360 million contract is the largest by a free agent in baseball history, topping Francisco Lindor's $341 million deal with the New York Mets.

He will earn $40 million per season, the highest average annual payout for a position player.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ ... 802577002/
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Estonut
Evil Genius

#14 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:48 pm

Vandal wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:16 pm
Aaron Judge, Yankees agree to 9-year, $360 million contract to keep AL MVP in New York

The New York Yankees have made an unprecedented financial commitment to ensure reigning American League MVP Aaron Judge will finish his career in pinstripes.
So this person assumes he'll be done at 39?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#15 Post by Vandal » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:52 am

Xander Bogaerts, Padres agree to 11-year, $280M deal

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts and the Padres agreed to an 11-year, $280 million contract late Wednesday, sources confirmed to ESPN, a monumental move that brings the longtime Boston Red Sox luminary to a team already laden with star talent.

The stunning deal, consummated as an especially active winter meetings came to a close, adds Bogaerts to a Padres team that already includes Juan Soto, Manny Machado and Fernando Tatis Jr. Boston, meanwhile, was left lamenting the loss of a homegrown talent who made his major league debut at 20 years old and leaves at 30 after opting out of the final three years of his contract.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/352 ... -280m-deal

Damn
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:43 pm

Well, the fallout continues for what was left of the Pac 12. California and Stanford will be joining the ACC (giving new meaning to the phrase "Atlantic Coast) next season, along with SMU from the American Athletic Conference. Other earlier defectors include Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah (to the Big 12) and Oregon and Washington to the Big 10. No official word yet on what the two remaining Pac 12 schools, Oregon State and Washington State, will do, but they are expected to join the Mountain West Conference.

The ACC had just announced a new four-year football rotation beginning this season, but that's going to change. The question will be whether they keep an eight-game conference schedule or go to nine. The ACC will now have 17 football members and 18 members (including Notre Dame) for other sports. The newcomers agreed to accept a reduced portion of the ACC rights revenue package.

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:35 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:43 pm
Well, the fallout continues for what was left of the Pac 12. California and Stanford will be joining the ACC (giving new meaning to the phrase "Atlantic Coast) next season, along with SMU from the American Athletic Conference. Other earlier defectors include Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah (to the Big 12) and Oregon and Washington to the Big 10. No official word yet on what the two remaining Pac 12 schools, Oregon State and Washington State, will do, but they are expected to join the Mountain West Conference.

The ACC had just announced a new four-year football rotation beginning this season, but that's going to change. The question will be whether they keep an eight-game conference schedule or go to nine. The ACC will now have 17 football members and 18 members (including Notre Dame) for other sports. The newcomers agreed to accept a reduced portion of the ACC rights revenue package.
I guess a college degree isn't what it used to be. Math and now geography has gone soft

Big-10 with 14 schools
Big-12 with 14 schools, used to be 10
Atlantic Coast Conference with two school on the Pacific coast.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#18 Post by Appa23 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:15 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:35 pm
silverscreenselect wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:43 pm

I guess a college degree isn't what it used to be. Math and now geography has gone soft

Big-10 with 14 schools
Big-12 with 14 schools, used to be 10
Atlantic Coast Conference with two school on the Pacific coast.
Probably shouldn’t say that other people’s math skills are soft and then miscount the Big Ten schools.

There will be 18 next year (current 14 plus USC,UCLA, Oregon, and Washington.)

The Big XII will have XVI next year.

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:15 pm

I was counting current schools. Not sure of all the Big 12 moves either. 14 now, less OU And Tx next year plus CO and I guess 3 others as they’ll have 16 next year, too.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Appa23

#20 Post by Appa23 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:03 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:15 pm
I was counting current schools. Not sure of all the Big 12 moves either. 14 now, less OU And Tx next year plus CO and I guess 3 others as they’ll have 16 next year, too.
Well then the current ACC has no teams on the Pacific Coast, so you would still be incorrect.

The truly amazing part is that the SEC decided not to expand beyond OU and Texas.

BackInTex

#21 Post by BackInTex » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:00 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:03 pm
BackInTex wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:15 pm
Well then the current ACC has no teams on the Pacific Coast, so you would still be incorrect.

The truly amazing part is that the SEC decided not to expand beyond OU and Texas.
The SEC is too big as it is.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:07 pm

In what may be a case of "too little, too late," Pac-12 teams won all 12 games this weekend and are now the only unbeaten conference in the country. That's the first time the league has gone unbeaten in its opening week since 1932, when it was called the Pacific Coast Conference. (The Pac-12 is actually 13-0 on the season since Southern Cal has played two games.)

Vandal
Director of Promos

#23 Post by Vandal » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:52 pm

Shohei Ohtani signs with Dodgers for ten years, $700 million

From ESPN:

Shohei Ohtani's $700 million contract calls for him to be paid only $2 million a year for the next 10 seasons, with $680 million deferred until the end of the deal, sources confirm to ESPN.

Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Estonut
Evil Genius

#24 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:02 am

Vandal wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:52 pm
Shohei Ohtani signs with Dodgers for ten years, $700 million

From ESPN:

Shohei Ohtani's $700 million contract calls for him to be paid only $2 million a year for the next 10 seasons, with $680 million deferred until the end of the deal, sources confirm to ESPN.

Not sure why the best two-way player in history would go to a NL team. Has he ever played another defensive position?

Does anyone know how much the Angels offered him to stay?

Good luck, Shohei. You deserve to win. I'm just sorry it's going to be with the Dodgers.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#25 Post by Vandal » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:47 am

He has played 8.1 innings in the outfield for his career.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man