WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Get your damn flu shot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 pm 

I can't get them because of skin problems. And everywhere I go they claim they don't have the inhalable kind. Which they are supposed to have for the elderly (of which I am officially one by now), kids & people like me. This year they weren't lying, as it wasn't released, because "it wasn't effective enough".

"Effective a little" would have been a G-dsend to me.

About a month ago I was running a very high fever (didn't find the thermometer until it was "down" to 101 after day 1) & as well as in pain all over my body, unable to move more than a few feet every few hours, enough to get me to the bathroom & to force down about 6 ounces of water so as not to get dehydrated. I could not eat anything. I was too wobbly to take a shower until 6 days had passed. The tub is too high for any of my chairs to serve as "shower chairs" as those are supposed to be two legs in, two legs out of tub. The 1st 4 days were the "can't fall asleep, can't stay awake for more than an hour" period.

If you don't want this to happen to you, get your shot.

By the respiratory symptoms I know this was the flu, not something else. Luckily it didn't turn into pneumonia.

The flu is a killer this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:33 pm 

I got mine, a pneumonia one for the first time too.

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 pm 

It only took getting the flu once almost 20 years ago to convince me to get a flu shot every year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm 
Dumbass

No.

I watched my parents (and my sister who stilled lived with them) get horribly sick every winter after getting yearly flu shots for too many years. While I, the one who refuses despite the fact that I can get one for free, work in germ heaven yet last had the flu when I was in 5th grade...

I'm cynical about almost everything, but the flu shot is an extra special level of BS....

lb13

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:01 pm 
Evil Genius

littlebeast13 wrote:
No.

I watched my parents (and my sister who stilled lived with them) get horribly sick every winter after getting yearly flu shots for too many years. While I, the one who refuses despite the fact that I can get one for free, work in germ heaven yet last had the flu when I was in 5th grade...

I'm cynical about almost everything, but the flu shot is an extra special level of BS....
They should have asked for the anti-flu shot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:48 am 

lb:

Yeah, I've never been able to get the inhalable form of the vaccine they're supposed to give me & I never got flu.

Until this year. This is not just a horrible cold. The respiratory aspect was very minor.

The high fever, pain & inability to stay awake or even move a few feet for 6 days were not minor.

I'm older than you, & diabetic. I don't have the immune response I used to.

Everybody gets older, providing we're still here, & no-one is completely immune.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 am 
Dumbass

ghostjmf wrote:
lb:

Yeah, I've never been able to get the inhalable form of the vaccine they're supposed to give me & I never got flu.

Until this year. This is not just a horrible cold. The respiratory aspect was very minor.

The high fever, pain & inability to stay awake or even move a few feet for 6 days were not minor.

Everybody gets older, providing we're still here, & no-one is completely immune.

I realize that I'm still susceptible, though I'd imagine my immune system is stronger than the average bear's because I don't use any of that anti-microbial crap they have kids using a soon as they exit the womb now, nor do I feel the need to wash my hands twenty times a day. When the great pandemic eventually comes, the survivors will be the ones who lived a dirty life...

As for the flu shot, I simply don't believe it's the panacea people seem to think it is. I've seen too many instances where it not only didn't work, but the flu came shortly after the shot was given. I'll keep taking my chances, because I'm not sure the alternative is any safer...

lb13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:55 am 

littlebeast13 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:
lb:

I realize that I'm still susceptible, though I'd imagine my immune system is stronger than the average bear's because I don't use any of that anti-microbial crap they have kids using a soon as they exit the womb now, nor do I feel the need to wash my hands twenty times a day. When the great pandemic eventually comes, the survivors will be the ones who lived a dirty life...

As for the flu shot, I simply don't believe it's the panacea people seem to think it is. I've seen too many instances where it not only didn't work, but the flu came shortly after the shot was given. I'll keep taking my chances, because I'm not sure the alternative is any safer...

lb13

Correlation does not imply causation.

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:26 am 
Dumbass

Bob Juch wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:
lb:

lb13

Correlation does not imply causation.

I am not about to take any kind of logic advice from anyone who participates in political threads on this Bored....

lb13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:50 am 

A lot of people say they have the flu when what they have is an irritating, but not debilitating cold. Also, doctors warn you might have some flu symptoms, equal to those of a cold, soon after the shot. Which is probably what you were seeing, lb.

Symptoms, unpleasant as they are, are, in general, your body's immune system mobilized to fight infection.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:04 pm 

I know that some years they just make the wrong call on which strains of the flu are going to be out there so the flu shot doesn't do all that much in those years. And, while I haven't had the flu in any of the 19 years since I have been getting a flu shot each Fall I have only had the flu one time in almost 60 years of hanging around on Earth so I can't make the claim that the flu shot had kept me from getting the flu.

OTOH, I have no reaction and no complications from getting the shot. The vivid memories of about two weeks of God-awful, horrible discomfort followed by another three to four weeks of still not feeling well followed by another several months until I was back at 100% again are more than enough t keep me getting a flu shot every season. In my case, it doesn't hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:20 pm 

Why the flu shot this year may not protect you

Covering your mouth and washing your hands still helps a bit. Stay healthy, BBs!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:50 pm 

May explain why I caught it in the 1st place.

I'm not back to normal yet. For a long time I was falling asleep at 9:00pm. Sometimes still am. Even after I had recovered enough to walk without wobbling.

They're talking in that article about people dying.