8 Days a Week -- See It!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

8 Days a Week -- See It!

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:51 am

I guess this is old news because it came out in 2016 but PBS just aired it & I caught the last 1/2 or 2/3.

It is spectacular footage of the Beatles' rise to fame. Interview snippets from John & George, as well as those still living, recording-studio off-the-cuff remarks, pieces of tryout music that later became the hits we know.

And concert footage with the sound way better than the audiences, or Beatles heard it. Soundboard tapes I believe.

And that amazing footage of their final live concert on their studio rooftop.

If you're a John fan you have to see that at the very least.

Bob Juch

Re: 8 Days a Week -- See It!

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm

ghostjmf wrote:I guess this is old news because it came out in 2016 but PBS just aired it & I caught the last 1/2 or 2/3.

It is spectacular footage of the Beatles' rise to fame. Interview snippets from John & George, as well as those still living, recording-studio off-the-cuff remarks, pieces of tryout music that later became the hits we know.

And concert footage with the sound way better than the audiences, or Beatles heard it. Soundboard tapes I believe.

Cool! I saw their penultimate live concert.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:08 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:I guess this is old news because it came out in 2016 but PBS just aired it & I caught the last 1/2 or 2/3.

Of course you did, Forrest.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 am

Bob Juch wrote:

I was there, too, but I saw them the next night at Candlestick Park, too. The final show was FAR better.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:16 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

I was there, too, but I saw them the next night at Candlestick Park, too. The final show was FAR better.
Seeing how the last concert was the rooftop one in London, the penultimate was at Candlestick Park.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:47 pm

To date, the closest I've gotten to knowingly being in the same room (well, field, or tent on field) with someone who saw the Beatles is being at workshops at bluegrass festivals given by Barry Tashian. He & his wife Holly perform as Barry and Holly Tashian, in an Everlys-style duet, though I haven't seen them play recently.

As Barry and the Remains, Barry T & his group opened for the Beatles on their 1st (?) concert in America, at I believe Shea Stadium. Opening for the Beatles when the screaming fans did not want to see an opening act was not, Barry T. tells, what is called a walk in the park (or stadium).

I will now go watch the beginning of the movie as I should now have the whole thing on tape.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:07 pm

The local PBS fundraising which intersperses the movie says that Barry and the Remains opened for them at Suffolk Downs (horse-race track) here in Boston on their final tour.

Maybe Barry and the Remains only opened there? Maybe they opened at Shea too?

I'm not into looking that up right now...

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Cool! I saw their penultimate live concert.
Seeing how the last concert was the rooftop one in London, the penultimate was at Candlestick Park.
I don't consider the rooftop performance a concert, at least not in the usual sense.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#9 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Aaargh! WGBH either lied, or I didn't read schedule right. Last 1/2 hour isn't there, though lots of fundraising is. They may rebroadcast some day (but not "*this* week. I've checked). I could of course buy it.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:I was there, too, but I saw them the next night at Candlestick Park, too. The final show was FAR better.
I don't consider the rooftop performance a concert, at least not in the usual sense.
But everyone else does.

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 pm

In the film the happy guests on the rooftop & the surprised, happy people on the street & hanging out of windows look like they find it a concert.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Seeing how the last concert was the rooftop one in London, the penultimate was at Candlestick Park.
But everyone else does.

Well, not EVERYONE. This particular Beatle fanatic has always considered the rooftop set to be a concert only in the loosest sense. Those who actually saw it were mostly Apple employees and friends, and the police who were there to put a stop to it. There were a few folks who climbed to the top of adjacent buildings to get a peek. Most of the "concertgoers" were in the streets and couldn't see what was going on. It begs the question, if you live next door to an amphitheater and you can hear the band doing a half hour soundcheck in front of the road crew and a few hangers on, can you say that you're experiencing a proper concert? For me, the designation of "The Rooftop Concert" AS a concert should carry a big fat asterisk next to it. And more Beatle People than Esto and me feel that way, I assure you.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#13 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:46 am

ghostjmf wrote:In the film the happy guests on the rooftop & the surprised, happy people on the street & hanging out of windows look like they find it a concert.

I have the bells and whistles version of this on BluRay. I know that they don't show the whole set but I can't remember if they edited all of the negative reactions out or not..in the "Let It Be" movie there are a number of stick in the muds clearly unhappy with this disruption of their daily routines and who are obviously not rock 'n roll fans, as the look on their faces would seem to indicate that the Incredible Hulk had just passed gas next to them. And somebody called the cops on them as well :shock:

I remember thinking when I first saw that scene all those years ago that, just like my fledgling little rock band, even The Beatles had the neighbors bitching because they were too loud! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:04 pm

In 8 Days they mostly show John doing one song (shoot; I just looked up the set list & none of them sounds like the right one) & people on the street looking up, as well as hanging out of windows & on neighboring roofs. You do see some police, but no footage of any arrests.

Hey, after having seen it *I* feel I saw at least part of the Beatles last concert!

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:17 pm

ghostjmf wrote:In 8 Days they mostly show John doing one song (shoot; I just looked up the set list & none of them sounds like the right one) & people on the street looking up, as well as hanging out of windows & on neighboring roofs. You do see some police, but no footage of any arrests.

Hey, after having seen it *I* feel I saw at least part of the Beatles last concert!
By Esto's and T-Bone's standard, I did see their last one, in person.

jarnon

#16 Post by jarnon » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:42 pm

U2 performed on a NYC sidewalk on Friday. Thank goodness it wasn't their last "concert."

https://www.facebook.com/u2/videos/10156239776721686/
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:21 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Seeing how the last concert was the rooftop one in London, the penultimate was at Candlestick Park.
But everyone else does.
You're better off Googling when you pretend to know things. Googling <beatles final concert> brings up a first page where 8 of 10 hits reference Candlestick, not the Apple building. The first hit opts for Candlestick and the article is from Rolling Stone magazine. I'd take their opinion over yours for, well, anything.
Groucho Marx