A Typical Democrat Mindset

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

A Typical Democrat Mindset

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:33 am

What happens when a Social Justice Warrior writes about oil. I knew what I was getting when I bought "The New Wild West" about the Bakken by Blaire Briody-I am a little surprised at some of the factual errors-but, be that as it may, this early paragraph was very interesting and illustrates one reason that Trump won the election.

>>>When I first began researching this book, I knew little about the oil industry or North Dakota, I was working at a small online news site in New York City......Searching for energy wealth in sparsely populated land seemed like something out of a bygone era-a time when the US cared little about the environment or those living off the land and simply sought acreage to claim of fossil fuels to extract. I had no idea of how wrong I was. From where I was sitting in a Manhattan office building, North Dakota seemed like a forgotten state and oil a forgotten American industry."<<<<

I credit Ms Briody for going to look, but her mindset prior to researching (and that of countless of her peers) is/was that the lights just come on automatically and the fair trade coffee just shows up at the coffee shop and ....

The funny thing is that while she wrote the book about oil-she would have had had roughly the same thoughts on mining, logging, farming etc-just forgotten, meaningless industries in forgotten, meaningless places-and you wonder why Trump won.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One factual error jumped out at me, and obviously proof readers missed it.

In background, she described the smallpox epidemic(s) that almost wiped out the Mandan.

"A smallpox outbreak tore through the area in 1837, taking half a million Indian lives."

WTF?!!Considering their were maybe 8,500 Lakota in 1805, with other tribes having similar population levels, you would have to cover a pretty large area to find a half million Indians in 1837.

A quick Google search said maybe 15,000 died along the Missouri River-basically wiping out several tribes. It is a long way from 15,000 to half a million. Did she just pull that out of her ass?

flockofseagulls104

Re: A Typical Democrat Mindset

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:20 pm

"A smallpox outbreak tore through the area in 1837, taking half a million Indian lives."
Well, if you include their potential descendents.....
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Spock wrote:What happens when a Social Justice Warrior writes about oil. I knew what I was getting when I bought "The New Wild West" about the Bakken by Blaire Briody-I am a little surprised at some of the factual errors-but, be that as it may, this early paragraph was very interesting and illustrates one reason that Trump won the election.

>>>When I first began researching this book, I knew little about the oil industry or North Dakota, I was working at a small online news site in New York City......Searching for energy wealth in sparsely populated land seemed like something out of a bygone era-a time when the US cared little about the environment or those living off the land and simply sought acreage to claim of fossil fuels to extract. I had no idea of how wrong I was. From where I was sitting in a Manhattan office building, North Dakota seemed like a forgotten state and oil a forgotten American industry."<<<<

I credit Ms Briody for going to look, but her mindset prior to researching (and that of countless of her peers) is/was that the lights just come on automatically and the fair trade coffee just shows up at the coffee shop and ....

The funny thing is that while she wrote the book about oil-she would have had had roughly the same thoughts on mining, logging, farming etc-just forgotten, meaningless industries in forgotten, meaningless places-and you wonder why Trump won.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In background, she described the smallpox epidemic(s) that almost wiped out the Mandan.

WTF?!!Considering their were maybe 8,500 Lakota in 1805, with other tribes having similar population levels, you would have to cover a pretty large area to find a half million Indians in 1837.

A quick Google search said maybe 15,000 died along the Missouri River-basically wiping out several tribes. It is a long way from 15,000 to half a million. Did she just pull that out of her ass?
I would characterize this as a New York mindset, not a Democrat or Republican mindset.

First refereed journal I saw on jstor:. Pull quote: "Before the disease burned out, the total death rate soared well into the tens of thousands..."

It wouldn't surprise me if she thinks 50,000 is half a million...

Same kind of innumeracy I see in so much reportage on mathematical and scientific issues, as well.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:51 pm

mrkelley23 wrote: Same kind of innumeracy I see in so much reportage on mathematical and scientific issues, as well.
....and apparently in some Detroit demolition manuals.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:55 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
No, that would be the Republican mindset....
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:57 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Perhaps, she was including their ancestors. That's more the Democratic style.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Spock wrote:What happens when a Social Justice Warrior writes about oil. I knew what I was getting when I bought "The New Wild West" about the Bakken by Blaire Briody-I am a little surprised at some of the factual errors-but, be that as it may, this early paragraph was very interesting and illustrates one reason that Trump won the election.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That looks like a job for fact checkers, not proof readers, but I agree that assuming you're right about the factual error (I'm too lazy to do the research and not sufficiently familiar with early America to know for myself whether the number is right, but your numbers seem plausible to me so I'm trusting you on this), it puts the rest of her credibility into serious question. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:24 pm

BackInTex wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Perhaps, she was including their ancestors. That's more the Democratic style.
True, very true. Especially the Chicago branch of the Mandan tribe.

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:55 am

Another example: John Conyers, one of the many accused of being a predator, is being drummed out of Congress. So he designates his son as his successor, as if the position is HIS. Another swamp denizen.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Another example: John Conyers, one of the many accused of being a predator, is being drummed out of Congress. So he designates his son as his successor, as if the position is HIS. Another swamp denizen.
John Conyers cannot designate anyone as his successor. If he resigns before the end of his term, there will be a special election to choose his successor for the remainder of this term, followed by a general election in 2018 for a full two-year term. He can endorse anyone he chooses for either election and that endorsement may or may not carry weight with the voters. That's not the swamp; that's how our system works.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:Another example: John Conyers, one of the many accused of being a predator, is being drummed out of Congress. So he designates his son as his successor, as if the position is HIS. Another swamp denizen.
John Conyers cannot designate anyone as his successor. If he resigns before the end of his term, there will be a special election to choose his successor for the remainder of this term, followed by a general election in 2018 for a full two-year term. He can endorse anyone he chooses for either election and that endorsement may or may not carry weight with the voters. That's not the swamp; that's how our system works.
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:36 am

The wierd thing about the book-The New Wild West, which is billed as "The definitive account of what really happens when the energy industry is allowed to set up in a town with little regulation or oversight-and at what cost."

Is that almost 1/4 of the book is the story of Tom Stakes, a 60 YO man with decades of drugs, alcohol and homelessness behind him. He continues to make really bad choices in Williston. At one point, he is drinking a bottle of vodka a night, and for some inexplicable reason-he just can't seem to save any money.

Obviously, that is the fault of the energy companies.

A guy tried to help him out by hiring him for light consruction work and very clearly told him-"If you show up for work drunk, I HAVE to fire you. Well, he showed up to work drunk, and was fired.

I guess that is "what really happens when the energy industry is allowed to set up in a town with little regulation or oversight"-but it could also be billed as what happens when you drink a bottle of vodka every night.

mrkelley23

#13 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 am

Spock wrote:The wierd thing about the book-The New Wild West, which is billed as "The definitive account of what really happens when the energy industry is allowed to set up in a town with little regulation or oversight-and at what cost."

Is that almost 1/4 of the book is the story of Tom Stakes, a 60 YO man with decades of drugs, alcohol and homelessness behind him. He continues to make really bad choices in Williston. At one point, he is drinking a bottle of vodka a night, and for some inexplicable reason-he just can't seem to save any money.

Obviously, that is the fault of the energy companies.

A guy tried to help him out by hiring him for light consruction work and very clearly told him-"If you show up for work drunk, I HAVE to fire you. Well, he showed up to work drunk, and was fired.

I guess that is "what really happens when the energy industry is allowed to set up in a town with little regulation or oversight"-but it could also be billed as what happens when you drink a bottle of vodka every night.

....aaaaaand cue the Charles Grassley jokes.