A new Christmas classic?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

A new Christmas classic?

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:15 am

There haven't been any really good original holiday songs in a long time. The last memorable one was Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You", released 23 years ago (if you can believe that). 99% of all holiday music released over the past 50 years has just been cover versions of the classics. You can listen to "Silent Night" only so often before it becomes completely worn out (and that's pretty easy to do because there have been over 137,000 different recorded versions of "Silent Night", making it the most recorded holiday song in history).

Well, Australian pop star Sia is trying to change that this holiday season. A few days ago, she released a new song and video called "Candy Cane Lane". Listen to a few seconds of this tune and you could swear this came directly from Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. I think the production on this song is absolutely beautiful.

Just a little early Christmas present from me to the rest of the Bored. I have about... oh, 550 other presents for the Bored after Christmas. (More about that in a few days.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElmsIGT85tI
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

mrkelley23

Re: A new Christmas classic?

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:37 am

Pastor Fireball wrote:There haven't been any really good original holiday songs in a long time. The last memorable one was Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You", released 23 years ago (if you can believe that). 99% of all holiday music released over the past 50 years has just been cover versions of the classics. You can listen to "Silent Night" only so often before it becomes completely worn out (and that's pretty easy to do because there have been over 137,000 different recorded versions of "Silent Night", making it the most recorded holiday song in history).

Well, Australian pop star Sia is trying to change that this holiday season. A few days ago, she released a new song and video called "Candy Cane Lane". Listen to a few seconds of this tune and you could swear this came directly from Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. I think the production on this song is absolutely beautiful.

Just a little early Christmas present from me to the rest of the Bored. I have about... oh, 550 other presents for the Bored after Christmas. (More about that in a few days.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElmsIGT85tI
People disagree about such things, I know, but I would take issue with the claim that there have been no memorable original Christmas songs since the Mariah Carey song (which I don't think has aged well, but oh well). Pentatonix has done a lot of Christmas covers, but I still love "That's Christmas to Me." I know very few people who like Kelly Clarkson as much as I do, but "Underneath the Tree" is a holiday staple for me (as is the whole Wrapped in Red album, which has a couple of other original songs on it.) And country is not for everyone, but Faith Hill, Alan Jackson, and Brad Paisley have all released quality original Christmas songs in the 21st century.

All that said, thanks for the recommendation. I think I shall like this one, too. But ask me again in 20 years. :)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:54 pm

mrkelley23 wrote: And country is not for everyone, but...
My favorite original Christmas Albums is still Alabama's Christmas (1985). All original songs, all singable (in my range).

I agree with the goodness and longevity of "All I want for Christmas is You". "Candy Cane Lane" sounds promising. My first listen just now started out good, but midway through the song it fell off for me. But then I'm sitting at my desk, on lunch. Maybe if I listen to it while driving around Christmas shopping it will pick up. The real test will be next year when I hear it again.

Thanks Pastor and Merry Christmas
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#4 Post by SportsFan68 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:52 pm

There are lots of original and different Christmas songs out there, but they don't get airplay. For example, I bought a Roger Whittaker Christmas album on a whim with several delightful songs I'd never heard before. Here's the song list:

Hallelujah It's Christmas, Mighty Like a Rose, The Christmas Song, Country Christmas, Darcy The Dragon, The Governor's Dream, Momma Mary, Guten Abend Gute Nacht, Home for Christmas, A Time for Peace, Christmas Is Here Again, Tiny Angels

I still have the cassette. Makes me wish I still had my cassette player.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

mellytu74

#5 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:04 pm

BackInTex wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote: And country is not for everyone, but...
My favorite original Christmas Albums is still Alabama's Christmas (1985). All original songs, all singable (in my range).

I agree with the goodness and longevity of "All I want for Christmas is You". "Candy Cane Lane" sounds promising. My first listen just now started out good, but midway through the song it fell off for me. But then I'm sitting at my desk, on lunch. Maybe if I listen to it while driving around Christmas shopping it will pick up. The real test will be next year when I hear it again.

Thanks Pastor and Merry Christmas
BiT --

I heard Christmas in Dixie tonight on the way home. First time in ages.

I'd forgotten how much I absolutely love that song. Have added it to my playlist.

Where Forty Hour Week has resided for years (not the Christmas playlist but a regular playlist).

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:34 pm

My vote from 1987:

And I still love:

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.