A good dashcam

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

A good dashcam

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:01 pm

I just finished setting up a new VAVA dash cam that requires an Android or iPhone to setup. I still love and use my Windows Phone but fortunately had to get an Android phone for work email. It establishes a WiFi network that the phone then has to connect to. My phone keeps dropping the connection even though it's two feet away though. I wish they had used Bluetooth. Otherwise, it's a pretty good camera. It automatically powers off when the vehicle is parked unlike my old one. My old one's built-in battery failed so every time I parked it lost power. When it lost power it lost all of its settings, including date and time and to overwrite old recordings.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

triviawayne

Re: A good dashcam

#2 Post by triviawayne » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:30 am

is this a rechargeable dashcam, or do you have to hook it up to the lighter?

Why does it need a phone to work with it?

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:11 am

triviawayne wrote:is this a rechargeable dashcam, or do you have to hook it up to the lighter?

You need to plug it into the lighter outlet. It has an internal battery that will run the camera for a few minutes if you're parked and the vehicle is bumped and also if there's an accident and power is lost.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:10 am

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:is this a rechargeable dashcam, or do you have to hook it up to the lighter?

You need to plug it into the lighter outlet. It has an internal battery that will run the camera for a few minutes if you're parked and the vehicle is bumped and also if there's an accident and power is lost.
It needs a phone because it has no screen.

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

It needs a phone because it has no screen.
Isn't that a Harlan Ellison story?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman