7 Days in Kauai-Nice problem to have

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

7 Days in Kauai-Nice problem to have

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:32 am

for buying X amounts of seed and herbicides and so forth we got bonus to points and chose a trip. Lodging is paid for, you are on the hook for everything else.

You get your lodging paid for in, what apparently, are time-sharey type thingies. The only one that makes sense for us in the time we can go is a place in Kauai the end of March. We have to pay everything else.

She really wants to go to Hawaii, but oddly enough, neither of us are that excited about a week stuck on Kauai, but as I said to Mrs S there are probably worse places to spend a week.

We are going to leave Kauai one day early to go to Pearl Harbor and fly home form there.

Flight is cheaper that way anyway.

mrkelley23

Re: 7 Days in Kauai-Nice problem to have

#2 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:41 am

Spock wrote:for buying X amounts of seed and herbicides and so forth we got bonus to points and chose a trip.

You get your lodging paid for in, what apparently, are time-sharey type thingies. The only one that makes sense for us in the time we can go is a place in Kauai the end of March. We have to pay everything else.

She really wants to go to Hawaii, but oddly enough, neither of us are that excited about a week stuck on Kauai, but as I said to Mrs S there are probably worse places to spend a week.

We are going to leave Kauai one day early to go to Pearl Harbor and fly home form there.

Flight is cheaper that way anyway.
I think you'll enjoy Kauai -- much more of a rural feel than bustling Oahu. Wendy and I spent a week+ there for our 25tth, and hope to go back for our 30th in 2019. Christie1111 was much help to us on that trip, so feel free to ask either of us if you want more info. Be sure to go to the Punchbowl on your trip to Pearl.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 am

Too bad you won't be there this week. You're going to have sub-zero temperatures plus wind chill. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:30 am

Bob Juch wrote:Too bad you won't be there this week. You're going to have sub-zero temperatures plus wind chill. :roll:
It is somewhat counter-intuitive, but I don't like being gone when it is really cold or really blizzardy. It is one of the curses of having livestock. Too much stuff can go wrong in the cold-frozen water lines and so forth.

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Maybe SSS could plan a trip at the same time and join me on a wild boar hunt or maybe even Spanish goats.

http://www.huntfishkauai.com/wild-boar/

SpacemanSpiff

#6 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Kauai is the one major island we didn't visit when Mrs. Spiff and I went to Hawai'i six years ago. We hope to get back there sometime to resolve that oversight.

And, personal opinion, other that Pearl Harbor and the North Shore (to watch the turtles in the afternoon), Oahu was kind of too touristy. Maui was a lot more fun. But Pearl Harbor is definitely worth a visit.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Spock wrote:Maybe SSS could plan a trip at the same time and join me on a wild boar hunt or maybe even Spanish goats.

http://www.huntfishkauai.com/wild-boar/
Just don't touch the chickens. And that's not a metaphor.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:Kauai is the one major island we didn't visit when Mrs. Spiff and I went to Hawai'i six years ago. We hope to get back there sometime to resolve that oversight.

And, personal opinion, other that Pearl Harbor and the North Shore (to watch the turtles in the afternoon), Oahu was kind of too touristy. Maui was a lot more fun. But Pearl Harbor is definitely worth a visit.
Yeah, we kind of figure that a day or so is good enough for Oahu on a first visit. My folks have been 3 times and love Maui.

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Mr K and anybody that knows stuff. We are staying in Kapaa on the middle of the east side. Just started looking at stuff to do and see and at maps and so forth.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Spock wrote:Mr K and anybody that knows stuff. We are staying in Kapaa on the middle of the east side. Just started looking at stuff to do and see and at maps and so forth.
I'm sure you can use Google as well as anyone else, but... https://www.google.com/search?q=Kapaa&o ... e&ie=UTF-8

I didn't get there on my trip. We flew into Lihue and stayed in a hotel near there, The Kauai Inn.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Kilohana Plantation: some of the best cocktails we've ever had, and a lu'au (Kalamaku) show that was the best we've ever seen. They also have a rum company on the grounds, a house tour, and some boutique-y shops.

Little Grand Canyon (Waimea Canyon) -- a must. You can drive most of the way to the top, but if you're into hiking, there are some nice trails there, too.

Knowing your interest in native cultures, I urge you to check out some of the heiaus on Kauai.

A boat tour of the Na Pali coast is worth the money, in my opinion.

Doors off helicopter tour was pricey, but awesome. We used Mauna Loa helicopters because they guaranteed window seats for all.

We spent a lot of time at beaches, because that's what we love to do on vacation. Reading about your previous trips, I don't think that may be your first preference. :)

Kayaking/canoeing/stand-up paddle boarding is actually a good option on Kauai, as they have an actual navigable river, unlike the other islands.

We stayed in Kapa'a also, at the Pono Kai resort. There's a great family-run diner right there called Ono Family Restaurant and Shaved Ice in easy walking distance. Great breakfasts, and reasonable.

The Kauai Coffee plantation is worth a stop, but we didn't take the tour -- just stopped in, looked around, and left for the brewery. :)

Let me know if you want any more suggestions, or more specifics on these.

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks, Mr. K. Good information base as I start some research.

>>>We spent a lot of time at beaches, because that's what we love to do on vacation. Reading about your previous trips, I don't think that may be your first preference.<<<

It probably won't surprise you that I tend to wander off exploring during beach days.

Spock

#13 Post by Spock » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:18 pm

I have trained Mrs. Spock rather well. She is very busy at work with end of year stuff, but she used some limited internet time today to look at Kauai stuff.

Does she look at shopping/beaches/restaurants etc?

Nope, the first thing she looked at was hunting and fishing opportunities.

The absolute first activity thing that I looked at was bookstores on Kauai.

Some friends of ours (much younger) built a Hawaii honeymoon around Spanish Goat hunting-not sure which island.

mrkelley23

#14 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:02 am

Spock wrote:I have trained Mrs. Spock rather well. She is very busy at work with end of year stuff, but she used some limited internet time today to look at Kauai stuff.

Some friends of ours (much younger) built a Hawaii honeymoon around Spanish Goat hunting-not sure which island.
Not sure what hunting is legal on Kauai, but I'm glad you're looking at what will make your family happy.

We love Kauai, and hope you will, too.

Spock

#15 Post by Spock » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:51 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Spock wrote:I have trained Mrs. Spock rather well. She is very busy at work with end of year stuff, but she used some limited internet time today to look at Kauai stuff.

Not sure what hunting is legal on Kauai, but I'm glad you're looking at what will make your family happy.

We love Kauai, and hope you will, too.
Obviously, we will do mostly standard Kauai stuff and your list helps.

I don't have a burning desire to spend a day deep-sea fishing. Too many stories of friends getting sea-sick.

I have a friend that can tell stories in such an entertaining manner that he can have you rolling on the floor laughing for most anything. His sea-sick story is one of my favorites. Well that, and his story of filling a trash bag with acetylene and the resulting explosion that was much bigger than expected.

Yeah, he is a bit of a redneck. But he also fits my thread from a few months ago of "A students working for C Students." He has a tremendous job that most college grads would kill for-with maybe one year of tech school-all because he is/was driven.

Be that as it may, whale watching might be at the top of activities -altho, Maui is probably better for that.

Other islands are prob better for hunting. At first mention, Mrs Spock applied the FFLF** (Female Fun Limitation Factor) to the idea of hunting wild pigs with dogs and a knife. Not sure if that is a Kaui thing-maybe more of a thing on other islands.

One of my folks' favorite stories is from a tour bus on the Road to Hana on Maui and they saw some young Hawaian guys with dogs who had just gotten a boar-the bus driver stopped to see it-because he had never seen it either.

**I am not too worried about the invocation of the FFLF. If I find a place to do it, she will let me.

Spock

#16 Post by Spock » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:19 pm

From what everybody tells me-In real life and here-If Hawaii is a once in a lifetime deal-Kauai is a pretty good choice. It has been common to hear from those with several Hawaiin trips that Kauai is their favorite.