Bridge report

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Bridge report

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:10 am

For many years, Reno hosted a regional between Christmas and New Years. It was a popular destination for people who were competing in various most-points-won races. However, Reno stopped holding that regional about three year ago and Los Angeles has stepped into the gap. Yesterday was the first day of our tournament.

I played pairs with my regular partner. Unfortunately, opponents didn't do much wrong against us and we didn't play particularly well. We had two below-average sessions and no master points for the day. My regular partner had to return home for tomorrow to oversee an Internet installation, so I'm playing pairs with a different partner tomorrow. I'm hoping for better results. They certainly can't be much worse. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Bridge report

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 am

Played another pairs game yesterday. This time we started with about 58%, but only backed it up with an average game. Still, it was good enough for 9th overall, worth 6.04 gold masterpoints.

Today, back to my regular partner and my last pairs game of the tournament. After this, it'll be team games of various forms through the end of the year. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 am

My last pairs game of the year went well. Partner and I put together two sessions well above 50%. Third overall in the event was worth 17.47 gold points. That brings my cumulative total for the tournament to 23.51 points.

Tomorrow partner and I are playing the Swiss teams event. It’s going to be a long day. My day will start with a 9:00 a.m. meeting of the District’s Board of Directors, followed by two sessions of bridge starting at 1:00 p.m. —Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:01 am

Partner and I are still playing pretty well. We took third in the top bracket of the bracketed Swiss, good for 14.83 gold points, bringing my cumulative total for the tournament to 38.34 points.

Today will be the Compact Knockout, with the same line-up that had such good results in Phoenix in August. It will also be my last game of the year with this partner. I’m hoping we go out with a bang. —Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 am

I had an inopportune brain cramp, resulting in an early exit from the Compact Knockout. We managed to win a match, good for 1.96 red points. In the "loser Swiss," we won three matches and finished 4th overall, adding another 1.97 red points for the day. My cumulative total for the tournament is now 42.27 poinits.

Tomorrow, with a different partner we'll be playing the traditional last-day Swiss teams event. I'm hoping to close out my year in style. --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:25 am

Bob78164 wrote:I had an inopportune brain cramp, ...
I've never had an opportune one.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:15 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I had an inopportune brain cramp, ...
I've never had an opportune one.
At the bridge table, some brain cramps are less expensive than others. This was one of the others. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Partner and I had a couple of bidding misunderstandings that led to one big loss against the eventual winners, but we otherwise played well. Our big win in the last match led to our finishing tied for 4th and 5th, good for 6.48 gold points. My final total for the tournament was 47.75 points and I ended up slightly topping 655 points for the year, for my best year ever at the bridge table. --Bob