"Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

"Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card

#1 Post by Spock » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 am

Thinking mostly of Mr. K and Bob#s.

I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I enjoy this stand-alone. I am about 2/3 of the way through.

It is "Mormony" and has some of his politics (most of his works do).

It does have some fun (IMHO) twists that might be worth it if you can stomach that stuff.

It is a stand-alone, so it would be a minimal investment of time (I suggest not buying it and getting it from the library instead).

Obviously, take all this FWIW, from someone with very limited fantasy genre experience. My fantasy experience is basically limited to Card.

gsabc

Re: "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card

#2 Post by gsabc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 am

Wow, a standalone fantasy novel without obvious intended sequels. That's a rarity nowadays.

Any book that pops up in my recommendation e-mails that lists itself as "Book 1 of the [whatever] trilogy/tetralogy/series" is immediately dismissed, along with those with descriptions including the words "post-apocalyptic", "zombies" and "vampire".
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:06 am

Enchantment is one of those that I read and didn't think enough of to even recommend it. I'm glad you're finding enough to recommend it here. I agree with your comments here.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:17 am

I’m pretty sure I’ve read it. I’m generally fine with Card as long as he stays away from realpolitik in a world that’s recognizably descended from or modeled on ours. When he does that, I find it impossible to suspend my disbelief. People simply don’t behave the way he has them acting. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson