New 2018 Series

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

New 2018 Series

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:04 pm

I've hinted about this a few times over the past few weeks. This isn't another trivia game or another lyrics game. It won't be any kind of game at all. I will do something that I haven't done on the Bored yet... something so big that it will require the entire year to cover it. It's another trip down memory lane in...

"The Fireball 550"

Hopefully, everybody here remembers T_Bone's award-winning 2016 series in which he counted down his all-time 150 favorite albums and 350 favorite songs (collectively known as "The Boney 500"). Obviously, that got me to thinking on what 500 songs I would pick if I could listen to only 500 songs for the rest of my life. Thanks to T_Bone, I've spent the past two years combing through thousands of songs... and it certainly wasn't easy for me to pick out my 500 favorites of all-time. I found it downright impossible to give a specific 1-500 ranking on any of my songs, so my format will be drastically different from T_Bone's format. Since I am a few years younger than T_Bone, you can also expect my song choices in general to be drastically different from T_Bone's list.

Moreover, I haven't owned 100 albums in my entire lifetime, so I will not do an albums list of any kind. This series is all about the songs only... so you'll get a full 500 songs on my list, compared to just 350 on T_Bone's list.

Although I cannot rank all of my songs from #500 to #1, I will provide ranks within certain timespans. My Top 500 (officially called "Fireball's Fantastic 500") will be broken down into the following categories:

--1960s (Yes, there are songs from the 1960s that I have heard of and I liked... so shut up.)
--Early 1970s (1970-74)
--Late 1970s (1975-79)
--Early 1980s (1980-84)
--Late 1980s (1985-89)
--Early 1990s (1990-94)
--Late 1990s (1995-99)
--2000s
--2010s (Up to December 31, 2017.)

The earliest song in the Fantastic 500 was released in 1962. The most recent song in the Fantastic 500 was released earlier this year. You'll be looking at 55 years of music over the next 12 months. Since the bulk of my favorite songs came from between 1970 and 1999, those three decades will be split up into "early" and "late" lists. That's my musical sweet spot, so it deserves the most attention.

Some additional rules that I will enforce in the Fantastic 500:

--I will not include any local or underground songs. A song must have been released nationally, either on an album or as its own single, in order for it to qualify. That means you won't be seeing anything by Kalyko, Gino White, Czarleo, Navy Blu, Kram, or any other musician that I have known personally... because that would just be cheating.
--I will not include any songs that I have recorded and/or produced... because that would also be cheating.
--Not every song will get remarks from me. I just don't have the wherewithal to make 500 specialized comments.
--I will make special notes any time I come across a song that also appeared in "The Boney 500". (And I will tell everybody right now that at least ten songs will appear on both my list and T-Bone's list.)

Every Friday in 2018, I will post a set of songs (with their YouTube/DailyMotion links) that made the Fantastic 500. I will limit each post to 12 songs, depending on the length of each decade/half-decade list. I will start with the 1960s in January and move forward in time to the present decade in December. On any Friday where I expect to be on vacation, a list will be posted before I go on said vacation.

I debated whether or not to include Christmas songs in the Fantastic 500. I think to be fair to all of the year-round songs, I will put "honorary mentions" on all holiday songs and lump them together in a special list called "Fireball's Festivus Festival" on Friday, December 21, 2018--the final Friday before Christmas.

But the real fun of this series will happen at the very end of the year. Remember, at the beginning of this post, I called this series "The Fireball 550"--not "The Fireball 500". After I've enchanted all of you with my picks for the 500 best songs of all-time and my favorite holiday songs of all-time, I will then haunt you with my picks for the 50 worst songs of all-time. It's a bonus finale called...

"Fireball's Fecal 50" (Yes, I love alliteration way too much.)

I originally planned my "Fecal 50" for 2014, the 10th anniversary of the publication of my original list of the 50 worst songs of all-time... but other things happened, and the "Fecal 50" just got backed up in the system. This series seems like as good a time as any to crap out my updated "Fecal 50". You'll see how my music knowledge has expanded and how my music tastes have changed over the past 14 years. Some songs will remain on my "Fecal 50", and others will be replaced by bigger turds. The "Fecal 50" will be presented in five installments of ten songs each. The installments will be posted Monday through Friday of Christmas Week 2018. Unlike in the Fantastic 500, these songs will be ranked from #50 to #1 because it is easier to rank 50 songs than it is to rank 500 songs.

With all of that being said... let the musical controversies begin again! The first batch of songs from the 1960s will be revealed on Friday, January 5, 2018.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: New 2018 Series

#2 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:53 pm

Looking forward to it. One of my hopes in posting my list was that it would spawn additional music discussions and maybe even a list or several from other folks.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck