every time I think of going down to clean off my car

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

every time I think of going down to clean off my car

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm

a 60 mph wind whips by.

The storm was supposed to be over at 8:00pm.

I hope my "sporty" rear windshield wiper, which has as its resting position "halfway up across window" survives. Weight of snow can break it.

I can't even wait for a bus in these wind-chills, & its only getting worse. Today, the day of the blizzard, was high-temp day.

I generally only take a cab if I'm missing a plane. And there's no reason to think they drive better in this stuff than I would.

jaybee

Re: every time I think of going down to clean off my car

#2 Post by jaybee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:47 am

Makes me realize what a smart decision my parents made back in 1970 to relocate from the Northeast to live in the South.

We had some snow flurries and since the temps are cold, even a tiny bit of accumulation - a dusting, no actual snow coverage. It is really, really cold here too with highs only supposed to be in the mid-20's. But weather in the South is always good for a change - watching this weekends forecast - a friend and I are planning on kayaking on Sunday.
Jaybee

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 am

To us the 20s would feel like spring right now.

We are scheduled for 2 more days of deepest freeze. I've got 48 hours to get the car cleaned off & moved into a different space on the street, starting at 1:00pm today, unless Somerville declares the snow emergency over at some other time.

I *can* throw the car in the driveway as long as I'm here to move it if someone I'm blocking wants out.

A few years ago a fellow tenant arrived home in the middle of the night in the middle of a snowstorm that had been predicted for days & threatened me if I didn't move the car so they could pull *in*. I had parked at the street end so that I wouldn't be blocked in, after checking that that was OK with the people who *were* home.

This had me shovelling, then driving around the block to get in, since I *cannot* back up accurately more than a few feet on ice.

The city lets you park in municipal lots, which for my house are about 1/2 mile away, during emergencies, but downstairs tenant wasn't going there.

Its why I'm on the street now rather than go through that again.

But the good time to get the car dug out would have been during the blizzard, as the temp was 30 when you didn't factor in the blizzard winds.

Today & tomorrow its supposed to hover around zero, with wind chill far below.

Its sunny, though.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Well, the car is brushed off, mostly, but not dug out yet. the kind City of Somerville pushed many feet of snow against my car. Thank you, City of Somerville.

Instead of going to a singing & party 4 hours up in Maine tomorrow, I will be finishing eating the food I cooked for it & feeling sad.

I could dig like a bunny & still get to Maine, but I'm scared of breaking down in sub-zero temps.

Meanwhile, I have to get snow away from car before it *does* melt on Monday. Driveway hoggers on the other hand are free of snow (because driveway is sheltered by houses against it) & free to travel as they wish.

Someday when I can afford it I will have my own parking space.

jaybee

#5 Post by jaybee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Wow! I feel like a real wuss - This evening when I got home I backed down my driveway, hit the button to open the door to my heated garage, pulled inside and hit the button again to close the door. There is some suffering involved though - in temperatures like this the garage only gets up to about 60 degrees. :mrgreen:
Jaybee

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:22 pm

Well, I got the car dug out of the snow the city dumped on it before they could come around & ticket me for being buried under their snow. So now I'm in the driveway, where I should have been all weekend, blocking a car in, waiting for their call.

Sigh.