WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Political Correctness
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: Lacey, Washington
These seem to be real. I drilled down on some of them and they go to the actual source. I am disgusted at our 'higher' education institutions. Sorry, I don't believe in this stuff. If that offends you, please find a safe space and do us all a favor by staying there.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/455065/pc-culture-2017s-most-ridiculous-moments

_________________
Arkansas Gulls -2007 BBBL Champions


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Posts: 4894
Location: Charlotte, NC
These are mostly great examples of silly things at which we should roll our eyes and move on. For what it's worth, students from particular cultures are in fact, often late to class. And by their own admission, to everything. That doesn't mean we should cater to it, but it is a true thing.

I am still not a fan of lumping these silly things into the PC label, because I find that label useful sometimes. But maybe I just need a new label.

_________________
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
Director of Promos
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Posts: 3333
Location: Literary Circles
My latest manuscript, The Dragon's Song, is the story of refugees ("boat people") trying to escape from Vietnam during the early eighties. My agent started sending it out after a lengthy hiatus. Here was the first response from an editor at Disney/Hyperion:

Quote:
Thanks for your query regarding THE DRAGON’S SONG. In today’s climate, I think a white author writing a fictionalized version of an Asian’s story would draw criticism, and sales would suffer as a result. For this reason I am going to pass on this opportunity.


My agent set her straight by letting her know that a real Vietnamese person co-authored the work and is splitting the profits. So now the editor is happy and is reading the manuscript. Yay!

We've had to adjust the sales pitch (query letter) to make it very clear that this is a shared work and not that of a Caucasian intruding on an Asian's turf. Whatever it takes.

_________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man


Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

With agent:
The Dragon's Song

Waiting their turn:
The Night Train
Devin Drake: World's Worst Magician

Just finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Up Next:
Devin Drake and The Roller-Ghoster
Devin Drake and the Haunted Balcony


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 20865
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Vandal wrote:
My latest manuscript, The Dragon's Song, is the story of refugees ("boat people") trying to escape from Vietnam during the early eighties. My agent started sending it out after a lengthy hiatus. Here was the first response from an editor at Disney/Hyperion:

Quote:
Thanks for your query regarding THE DRAGON’S SONG. In today’s climate, I think a white author writing a fictionalized version of an Asian’s story would draw criticism, and sales would suffer as a result. For this reason I am going to pass on this opportunity.


My agent set her straight by letting her know that a real Vietnamese person co-authored the work and is splitting the profits. So now the editor is happy and is reading the manuscript. Yay!

We've had to adjust the sales pitch (query letter) to make it very clear that this is a shared work and not that of a Caucasian intruding on an Asian's turf. Whatever it takes.

I have noticed the biggest critics of White's "cultural approbation" are Whites. :roll:

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: Lacey, Washington
Bob Juch wrote:
Vandal wrote:
My latest manuscript, The Dragon's Song, is the story of refugees ("boat people") trying to escape from Vietnam during the early eighties. My agent started sending it out after a lengthy hiatus. Here was the first response from an editor at Disney/Hyperion:

Quote:
Thanks for your query regarding THE DRAGON’S SONG. In today’s climate, I think a white author writing a fictionalized version of an Asian’s story would draw criticism, and sales would suffer as a result. For this reason I am going to pass on this opportunity.


My agent set her straight by letting her know that a real Vietnamese person co-authored the work and is splitting the profits. So now the editor is happy and is reading the manuscript. Yay!

We've had to adjust the sales pitch (query letter) to make it very clear that this is a shared work and not that of a Caucasian intruding on an Asian's turf. Whatever it takes.

I have noticed the biggest critics of White's "cultural approbation" are Whites. :roll:


I grew up knowing all the terrible things done to racial minorities by people that had the same skin color as I happen to have. I have always thought that it was wrong. But the things that people of my skin color have done in the past have absolutely nothing to do with me, and I refuse to accept any guilt for it. And I think all the politically correct things that are based on 'white guilt' are equally as bad, and is just the same as the bigotry it's supposed to be a remedy for. There are heinous things that have been done in the past (and some in the present) for all racial and ethnic groups. All we can do, as living people, is be the best people we can be and learn from the past, not re-live it.

_________________
Arkansas Gulls -2007 BBBL Champions


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 4999
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
Bob Juch wrote:
Vandal wrote:
My latest manuscript, The Dragon's Song, is the story of refugees ("boat people") trying to escape from Vietnam during the early eighties. My agent started sending it out after a lengthy hiatus. Here was the first response from an editor at Disney/Hyperion:

Quote:
Thanks for your query regarding THE DRAGON’S SONG. In today’s climate, I think a white author writing a fictionalized version of an Asian’s story would draw criticism, and sales would suffer as a result. For this reason I am going to pass on this opportunity.


My agent set her straight by letting her know that a real Vietnamese person co-authored the work and is splitting the profits. So now the editor is happy and is reading the manuscript. Yay!

We've had to adjust the sales pitch (query letter) to make it very clear that this is a shared work and not that of a Caucasian intruding on an Asian's turf. Whatever it takes.

I have noticed the biggest critics of White's "cultural approbation" are Whites. :roll:


Trump needs to learn the difference between consequential and consensual.

You need to learn the difference between approbation and appropriation.

I know, I know, stupid autocorrect.

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 8656
Location: Garden Grove, CA
mrkelley23 wrote:
You need to learn the difference between approbation and appropriation.

I know, I know, stupid autocorrect.
It's either that or "not enough coffee" or "too much coffee."

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: silvercamaro and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.