WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
Queen of Wack
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 am
Posts: 8703
Location: Location.Location.Location
Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
It was 116.6° in Sydney today, the hottest since 1939.


So? It's 73 there now.

It's only 9:00 AM now. It will be in the 90s soon.


Summertiiiiime and the livin is greasy...

_________________
Oh please.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
16 inches of not climate in the Algerian Sahara
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/90 ... res-photos

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Good will you please state for us what the scientific consensus is exactly?
https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
What percentage of climate scientists are "actively publishing?"

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ian-tuttle


"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources."

So the consensus is that the earth has warmed since the Little Ice Age. That's weak sauce.

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
http://notrickszone.com/2016/07/03/alre ... c3ga1.dpbs
Interestingly, since January 2014, the last 2 and half years, 770 peer-reviewed scientific papers have been published in scholarly journals that call into question just how settled the “consensus” science is that says anthropogenic or CO2 forcing dominates weather and climate changes, or that non-anthropogenic factors play only a relatively minor and inconsequential role.

Instead of supporting the “consensus” science, these 770 papers support the position that there are significant limitations and uncertainties apparent in climate modeling and the predictions of future climate catastrophes. Furthermore, these scientific papers strongly suggest that natural factors (the Sun, multi-decadal ocean oscillations [AMO/PDO, ENSO], cloud and aerosol albedo variations, etc.) have both in the past and present exerted a significant influence on weather and climate, which means an anthropogenic signal may be much more difficult to detect or distinguish as an “extremely likely” cause relative to natural variation. Papers questioning the “common-knowledge” viewpoints on ocean acidification, glacier melt and advance, sea level rise, extreme weather events, past climate forcing mechanisms, the “danger” of high CO2 concentrations, etc., have also been included in this volume of 770 papers.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/03/12/ ... really-is/
the much repeated “97% consensus” is indeed nothing more than a manufactured outcome.

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Last edited by themanintheseersuckersuit on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 14630
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources."

So the consensus is that the earth has warmed since the Little Ice Age. That's weak sauce.


The consensus isn't just that global warming isn't occurring; it's that the cause of this is due to human activities than can be regulated to minimize the effects.

Drastic climactic changes have occurred in prehistoric times that decimated the majority of species on the planet at that time. The difference between now and then is that we can do something about it now unless we continue to characterize it as "weak sauce" and bring up the occasional anecdotal evidence as proof.

Two people won hundreds of millions in the Powerball and MegaMillions jackpots over the weekend. That's not proof that the lotteries are a good investment (although by all means you should play them).

_________________
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstei ... e006423f9f

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2 ... odoxy.html

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5159
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2018/01/thoughts-on-challenging-the-climate-orthodoxy.html


The trouble with what this post says is that the viewpoint he is espousing is not what most self-described skeptics are espousing. If you read to the bottom, he says that he agrees that the globe is warming, and that human activities have caused at least part of it. He disagrees with the extent of the problem, and therefore what to do about it. Is that your position, as well? Would you say that most climate change skeptics would agree that the globe is warming, and that human activities have caused at least part of it? Because that's not the vibe I get from the skeptic community.

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
The global temperature has risen since the end of the Little Ice Age. Humans have contributed a part of that. Also the warming has been a good thing.

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:48 pm
Posts: 5159
Location: Somewhere between Bureaucracy and Despair
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
The global temperature has risen since the end of the Little Ice Age. Humans have contributed a part of that. Also the warming has been a good thing.


The first two statements are facts. The third is an opinion. I can, and will continue to, discuss issues with people who have strong opinions, especially when they back them up with logical arguments. When I give up is when people will not accept demonstrable facts.

We probably disagree on the extent of current and future climate change. We probably also disagree on what steps, if any, should be taken to minimize the damage from it. But I think we probably are pretty close on the need to take it slowly and consider all options as we address the issue.

_________________
The real question of government versus private enterprise is argued on too philosophical and abstract a basis. Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand. -- Richard Feynman, "What do you Care what other People Think?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
mrkelley23 wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
The global temperature has risen since the end of the Little Ice Age. Humans have contributed a part of that. Also the warming has been a good thing.


The first two statements are facts. The third is an opinion. I can, and will continue to, discuss issues with people who have strong opinions, especially when they back them up with logical arguments. When I give up is when people will not accept demonstrable facts.

We probably disagree on the extent of current and future climate change. We probably also disagree on what steps, if any, should be taken to minimize the damage from it. But I think we probably are pretty close on the need to take it slowly and consider all options as we address the issue.


since the warming we are talking about runs from around 1850 there is some support for my opinion since there has never been a period of greater advancement in widespread improvement of the human condition. (including the decrease in slavery, which I think was made possible by coal)

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21242
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Global warming roars on: Past four years have been Earth's hottest on record

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/ ... 043927001/

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 7275
Location: South Carolina
Bob Juch wrote:
Global warming roars on: Past four years have been Earth's hottest on record

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/ ... 043927001/

Crop yeilds at historic levels

_________________
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 21242
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Global warming roars on: Past four years have been Earth's hottest on record

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/ ... 043927001/

Crop yeilds at historic levels

Wait until there's no water for them.

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:43 pm
Posts: 9464
Location: In Texas of course!
Bob Juch wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Global warming roars on: Past four years have been Earth's hottest on record

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/ ... 043927001/

Crop yeilds at historic levels

Wait until there's no water for them.


When will that be?

_________________
In the end, they will all pretty much taste the same.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Posts: 6037
Location: Montana
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Crop yeilds at historic levels

Wait until there's no water for them.


When will that be?


With the glut of liberal tears, our sea levels have to have risen significantly in the last year.

_________________
The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. And clowns.

Rick Castle is dreamy.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:07 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: Olympia, Washington
BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Crop yeilds at historic levels

Wait until there's no water for them.


When will that be?

The Day After Tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ksbirchtree, mrkelley23 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.