KID BRAGS!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

KID BRAGS!

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 pm

I haven't done one of these on the Bored in a very long time. Before I post the first few of my 500 favorite songs of all-time, today is the perfect day to update everybody on what's been happening with some of my sons.

Today is "Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen" for the twins, Allen and Cory, so we all know what that means. It's time for me to prepare to buy two cars. I've spent the past few years saving up about $10,000 just for their first cars. Tomorrow, I'm going to take Allen and Cory around some of the used car lots to see if there are any vehicles that they would like to have as soon as they pass their upcoming driving tests. A close friend of mine happens to be a used car salesman at a dealership only a couple of miles from my house in southeast Cincinnati, so we'll check out his place first. Ultimately, I'm hoping that I can spend under ten grand on the two cars so that any leftover money can go directly to Allen and Cory--some of it in cash and the rest of it in their bank CDs, which are already over $20,000 each and I'm trying to get both of those CDS up to 25 before the twins turn 18.

Speaking of 18, their older brother Javon already turned 18 two days before Christmas, so he got a fat birthday/Christmas/Kwanzaa present. I cashed out his CD that Saturday morning and presented the check of a shade under $24,000 to him that Saturday afternoon. That $23,xxx was originally intended for Javon's college education, but he may not necessarily need that money to pay tuition. A little background info first: Twenty years ago, I graduated high school with a 3.68 GPA. Well, Javon started his final semester of high school this week and he will almost certainly blow my GPA out of the water when he graduates in June. Aside from a couple of Bs in his freshman year, his high school report cards have consisted entirely of A minuses, As, and A pluses.

To use a golf term, all Javon has to do is keep the ball on the fairway and he will outscore me. I'm not content with him just outscoring me, though. I want him to go for the gold. If my math is correct, As across the board in his AP classes and his elective classes will put him above 4.0. An academic resume like that has already put him in line for various scholarships and grants. If that isn't enough, he is on his school's basketball team and enjoys going to church with April and me three times per week. Other than Javon and President Obama, you're not going to find too many people who can easily check all three boxes of straight-A student, athlete, and Christian. And it really should come as no surprise that Javon has been openly striving for years to become the next President Obama from his devotion to education, sports, and Jesus. He has not yet decided which college(s) to attend, but he is already excited about going to law school in a few years so that he can become a lawyer or a law teacher and eventually go into politics, just like his hero. I will make absolutely sure that my son fulfills all of his goals because 1) it will be great for America and 2) it will thoroughly irritate BiT, Flock, Spock, Estonut, Bob#s, Drumpf, FOX Noise, my mother, my stepfather, and all of the other selfish, lying, anti-American bigots who have been hating and attacking Christians for years.

As for Najai and Demetrius... well, they have not yet done anything particularly extraordinary other than be themselves, so they will have to wait for their own "kid brag" Bored posts.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: KID BRAGS!

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Congrats on your kidlets' great accomplishments. Sorry you had to qualify the post as you did.
Well, then

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Congrats to the kids. I'll be interested to see what kind of car turns on a current kid.

Depending on if you're living in snow territory, I'd recommend a 4/all-wheel drive. I'd recommend that for my next car too. Probably not what turns kids on.

Also, new cars have all those kid-limiting features. Which kids will hate but which save their lives.

I did innumerable car things which could have killed me. Only did them once, but once can sadly be enough.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Congratulations! Your used-car salesman buddy can probably get just about anything you want from an auto auction and resell it to you for a very small profit.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Those are quite the accomplishments, especially given the cards they've been dealt. Hopefully they will continue to overcome those obstacles.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jaybee

#6 Post by jaybee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 pm

You have done well. Very well. Your pride is well deserved.

We were fortunate to not have two kids hit driving age at the same time (I can only imagine this stress). For all three of our boys, we went with 4-6 year old Civics. They looked good enough, were economical, reliable and held their value. Our deal was to buy the car, pay for insurance and all maintenance and pay for gas to get them to and from school. They were responsible for fuel for other trips. When they turned 18, they had to start paying for all their gas as well as the vehicle insurance. If they were still driving the car when they ended college, it became theirs to keep, sell or sell at a future date. For the most part, it worked out well.
Jaybee

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:01 pm

My 13-year-old has announced she has no intention of learning how to drive. My wife does not drive either. That's more money in the bank.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.