Transcript 12/22/2017 - Claire Goodman

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/22/2017 - Claire Goodman

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

WHIZ KIDS WEEK (again)

Claire Goodman
Mount Prospect, IL

Claire is at $30,000, but she has no lifelines remaining.

$50,000: Located at about 42 degrees north, the southernmost point in Canada is at approximately the same latitude as what state's northern border?
A - Oregon
B - Iowa
C - California
D - Missouri

Claire says this is a funny question because her grandmother reminded her that Detroit was north of Canada. She says that
Spoiler
is most likely
. She'll be mad at herself if she's right and walks away and also if she's wrong. She doesn't think it's worth the risk so she decides to walk away.
Spoiler
Answer: C (California)

commercial break

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 12/22/2017 - Claire Goodman

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 am

50K: Dunno what I have left, but I'd be throwing any lifelines at this.

Know the continent is tilted so Nova Scotia has lower lattitude than you would think. Like contestant, know Detroit is north of parts of adjacent Canada. Know about that little area that belongs to I think Minnesota. None of that helps here.

Pretty sure Missouri & Iowa are too far south, & that 50/50 would leave Cal & Oregon.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:21 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:WHIZ KIDS WEEK (again)

Claire Goodman
Mount Prospect, IL

Claire is at $30,000, but she has no lifelines remaining.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000: Located at about 42 degrees north, the southernmost point in Canada is at approximately the same latitude as what state's northern border?
A - Oregon
B - Iowa
C - California
D - Missouri

Claire says this is a funny question because her grandmother reminded her that Detroit was north of Canada. She says that
Spoiler
is most likely
. She'll be mad at herself if she's right and walks away and also if she's wrong. She doesn't think it's worth the risk so she decides to walk away.
Spoiler
Answer: C (California)
It isn't Iowa or Missouri. The border curves north from Minnesota so it isn't Oregon. It has to be California.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 pm

earendel wrote:It isn't Iowa or Missouri. The border curves north from Minnesota so it isn't Oregon. It has to be California.
The border curves because “lines” of latitude are actually circles. Most of the border from Minnesota to Washington is at the same latitude, 49° N.
Last edited by jarnon on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 pm

ghostjmf wrote:50K: Dunno what I have left, but I'd be throwing any lifelines at this.

Know the continent is tilted so Nova Scotia has lower lattitude than you would think. Like contestant, know Detroit is north of parts of adjacent Canada. Know about that little area that belongs to I think Minnesota. None of that helps here.

Pretty sure Missouri & Iowa are too far south, & that 50/50 would leave Cal & Oregon.
Actually, Iowa is too far North. Parts of Nebraska also are north of Canada.