Majority of National Park Service advisory board resigns

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Majority of National Park Service advisory board resigns

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 am

Majority of National Park Service advisory board resigns amid protest
The Hill wrote:A majority of the members of a National Park Service advisory board resigned their posts Monday night in protest of how Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has treated them, according to a new report.

Nine of the 12 members of the National Park System Advisory Board suddenly quit Monday, according to The Washington Post.

According to its website, the board, which was established in 1935, is made up of “citizen advisors chartered by Congress to help the National Park Service care for special places saved by the American people so that all my experience our heritage.”

The nine departing members wrote a letter to Zinke, saying they have “stood by waiting for the chance to meet and continue the partnership ... as prescribed by law.”

“We understand the complexity of transition but our requests to engage have been ignored and the matters on which we wanted to brief the new Department team are clearly not part of its agenda,” board chairman Tony Knowles wrote in the letter obtained by the Post.

“I wish the National Park System and Service well and will always be dedicated to their success.”

Knowles told the Post that the board hasn’t held a meeting since President Trump took office last January despite the board being required by law to meet two times each year.

“We were frozen out,” Knowles told the newspaper.
More: http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... signs-amid
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

Re: Majority of National Park Service advisory board resigns

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am

I can't wait till they privatize the Grand Canyon. I've always wanted to go ziplining there.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I can't wait till they privatize the Grand Canyon. I've always wanted to go ziplining there.
You'll have to avoid the coal and uranium mines. :x
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:05 am

Just call me Paul Harvey...

"Interior Department spokeswoman Heather Swift seemed to “welcome their resignations,” but for reasons different from Knowles’ claims.

“We welcome their resignations and would expect nothing less than quitting from members who found it convenient to turn a blind eye to women being sexually harassed at National Parks,” Swift said in an emailed statement.

The Trump administration has accused the National Parks Service of allowing a culture of sexual misconduct to go unpunished under the Obama administration after Sally Jewell, Interior Secretary under President Barack Obama, was asked to investigate claims of an “intimidating, hostile or sexually offensive work environment” made by 13 former and current employees, The New York Times reported.

The Grand Canyon River District, where the claims were made, was shut down after the Office of the Inspector General found that Jewell failed to address numerous reports of sexual misconduct including physical assault, attempts by male employees to take inappropriate photos of female employees and the withholding of food supplies on trips when those advances were turned down, according to The Times.

The advisory board members that announced their resignations this week were appointed by Obama."

Swift also said in her statement that the claims that the Trump administration ignored their requests for a meeting were “false.”

“It is patently false to say the Department had not engaged the board, when as recently as January 8 we were working with the board to renew their charter, schedule a meeting and fill vacancies,” she said.

“Their hollow and dishonest political stunt should be a clear indicator of the intention of this group,” Swift added.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:38 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Just call me Paul Harvey...

"Interior Department spokeswoman Heather Swift seemed to “welcome their resignations,” but for reasons different from Knowles’ claims.

“We welcome their resignations and would expect nothing less than quitting from members who found it convenient to turn a blind eye to women being sexually harassed at National Parks,” Swift said in an emailed statement.

The Trump administration has accused the National Parks Service of allowing a culture of sexual misconduct to go unpunished under the Obama administration after Sally Jewell, Interior Secretary under President Barack Obama, was asked to investigate claims of an “intimidating, hostile or sexually offensive work environment” made by 13 former and current employees, The New York Times reported.

The Grand Canyon River District, where the claims were made, was shut down after the Office of the Inspector General found that Jewell failed to address numerous reports of sexual misconduct including physical assault, attempts by male employees to take inappropriate photos of female employees and the withholding of food supplies on trips when those advances were turned down, according to The Times.

The advisory board members that announced their resignations this week were appointed by Obama."

Swift also said in her statement that the claims that the Trump administration ignored their requests for a meeting were “false.”

“It is patently false to say the Department had not engaged the board, when as recently as January 8 we were working with the board to renew their charter, schedule a meeting and fill vacancies,” she said.

“Their hollow and dishonest political stunt should be a clear indicator of the intention of this group,” Swift added.
I don't believe a word of that. The current administration tries to deflect any criticism by pointing fingers somewhere else, usually at the Obama administration. Here's one more example.

tlynn78

#6 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

I don't believe a word of that. The current administration tries to deflect any criticism by pointing fingers somewhere else, usually at the Obama administration. Here's one more example.

Really?? I'm shocked. :roll:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:09 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Really?? I'm shocked. :roll:

What's funny is we were 6 or 7 years into the Obama administration and he was still blaming Bush for his lack of progress on anything important.

I would love to be inside at Amazon or Apple right now. The liberals there must be going crazy.

Liberal Minion: "What do you mean we're investing $2 billion in the US? Don't you know Trump will get the credit?!"
Liberal PTB: "The tax cuts make it so much better to be here than elsewhere."
Liberal Minion: "But can't we wait until 2021 when Oprah gets in office?"
Liberal PTB: "And let our competitors get a leg up on us? Besides, I'll parlay this into a YUGE bonus.....sorry about that."
Liberal Minion: "But you're helping Trump get re-elected."
Liberal PTB: "....and helping me to continue getting those YUGE bonuses. You'll get them, too, you know."
Liberal Minion: "Really? Well then..."
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm

BackInTex wrote:What's funny is we were 6 or 7 years into the Obama administration and he was still blaming Bush for his lack of progress on anything important.
You mean like getting tens of millions of Americans on health insurance for the first time? Progress that Donny's sabotage has already started to reverse? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:What's funny is we were 6 or 7 years into the Obama administration and he was still blaming Bush for his lack of progress on anything important.
You mean like getting tens of millions of Americans on health insurance for the first time? Progress that Donny's sabotage has already started to reverse? --Bob
Bankrupting and destroying the best healthcare system in the world. Yes, that.

When I need cataract surgery, I don't want to wait months and then hope for a cancellation.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

When I need cataract surgery, I don't want to wait months and then hope for a cancellation.
But, but, it's FREEEEEE!!!!

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:When I need cataract surgery, I don't want to wait months and then hope for a cancellation.
But, but, it's FREEEEEE!!!!
LOL!. Liberal Economics 101.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:14 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Haven't seen that happening yet. What has been happening is that people (particularly the working poor in states that, unlike Texas, accepted the Medicaid expansion) have been getting medical treatment that in the past they've been postponing. That's proving to be a net benefit for the economy, both because it avoids later treatment of much more expensive but preventable conditions and also because healthy people spend more time at work than sick people.

And leaving all that aside, it's simply the right thing to do. If we can afford a trillion-dollar tax cut for the rich, we can make health insurance affordable for the middle class. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#13 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:56 pm

If we can afford a trillion-dollar tax cut for the rich
Everything you've said is negated by your use of this juvenile anthem of the left.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#14 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm

I don't know very much of the specifics on this, but looking into the background of Tony Knowles, it is not a stretch to attribute these resignations as more drama by the resistance children. It might be a totally legitimate protest, but you reap what you sow.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

henrix77

#15 Post by henrix77 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm a social liberal, and economic conservative. Socially, I had the highest hopes for Obamacare, the ACA, or whatever you'd like to call it. But, seeing my premiums go from around $700 to around $2300/month in just two years...I'll pass, thanks.

What the far left doesn't seem to understand is that it DOESN'T MATTER if I'm insured, if I can't afford the forced premium, let alone the $6000 deductible that came with this stellar plan.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#16 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 pm

henrix77 wrote:I'm a social liberal, and economic conservative. Socially, I had the highest hopes for Obamacare, the ACA, or whatever you'd like to call it. But, seeing my premiums go from around $700 to around $2300/month in just two years...I'll pass, thanks.

What the far left doesn't seem to understand is that it DOESN'T MATTER if I'm insured, if I can't afford the forced premium, let alone the $6000 deductible that came with this stellar plan.
And you're not eligible for premium subsidies through the exchanges? Because if you are, the nominal price doesn't matter. Just the post-subsidy price.

In any event, what Donny is doing to sabotage the Affordable Care Act is going to make the problem even worse, by encouraging adverse selection to make existing risk pools much more expensive. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:21 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
If we can afford a trillion-dollar tax cut for the rich
Everything you've said is negated by your use of this juvenile anthem of the left.
Ignoring the facts won't make them go away. --Bob

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

henrix77 wrote:I'm a social liberal, and economic conservative. Socially, I had the highest hopes for Obamacare, the ACA, or whatever you'd like to call it. But, seeing my premiums go from around $700 to around $2300/month in just two years...I'll pass, thanks.

What the far left doesn't want to hear is that when you must cover pre-existing conditions AND there is no lifetime cap, the system is designed to break. We will end up with single payer (aka the government aka the net taxpayers) and will end up with a crappy system.

What those like Bob will do is point out those that had nothing and say "See they have something", but it will suck. What they won't show is the majority that had something nice and will now have something that sucks.

We can't make everyone rich, but we can make everyone poor. And those like Bob see that as an O.K. thing.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

henrix77

#19 Post by henrix77 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

And you're not eligible for premium subsidies through the exchanges? Because if you are, the nominal price doesn't matter. Just the post-subsidy price.

In any event, what Donny is doing to sabotage the Affordable Care Act is going to make the problem even worse, by encouraging adverse selection to make existing risk pools much more expensive. --Bob
No, I'm not eligible for anything. We, along with many others like us, are leaving the system in droves, which is why it's doomed. We opted for a cost-sharing solution, which is already working out great (Samaritan Ministries, for anyone who's curious).

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:And you're not eligible for premium subsidies through the exchanges? Because if you are, the nominal price doesn't matter. Just the post-subsidy price.
IT DOES MATTER BOB! Someone has to pay for it. If the nominal prices is $1,000,000,000,000,000 and the post-subsidy price is $0.32, then my kids will be working 80 hours a week and not getting to take vacations. Nothing is free. Someone has to earn its value and if the person receiving the value is not paying the full price then they are taking someone else's earnings.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:And you're not eligible for premium subsidies through the exchanges? Because if you are, the nominal price doesn't matter. Just the post-subsidy price.
IT DOES MATTER BOB! Someone has to pay for it. If the nominal prices is $1,000,000,000,000,000 and the post-subsidy price is $0.32, then my kids will be working 80 hours a week and not getting to take vacations. Nothing is free. Someone has to earn its value and if the person receiving the value is not paying the full price then they are taking someone else's earnings.
We've got a trillion dollars worth of tax cuts directed to the rich to use to defray those expenses. I'm really not interested in claims that we can afford those tax cuts but we can't afford health care.

I don't remember which state henrix is in nor do I know why his particular market has a problem. But I'm quite confident that there are solutions at a fraction of the cost of the tax cuts that just got passed. Giving everyone the option to buy into Medicare would probably do the trick. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#22 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Don't worry, BiT, Paul Krugman will handle it. He's rich and he's getting a trillion dollar tax cut. Add a few more zeros to the price tag. We can handle it. Right, bob?

BackInTex

#23 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Bob78164 wrote: But I'm quite confident that there are solutions at a fraction of the cost of the tax cuts that just got passed. Giving everyone the option to buy into Medicare would probably do the trick. --Bob
Tax cuts are NOT a cost.

And having everyone buy-in to Medicare would NOT do it either.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

a1mamacat

#24 Post by a1mamacat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:40 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Some of us in this world don't have the wherewithal to spend $2,000 that easily. Glad you will be able to pay for whatever medical needs you or your family has, without anyone else having to supplement you.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

flockofseagulls104

#25 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:51 am

a1mamacat wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:You mean like getting tens of millions of Americans on health insurance for the first time? Progress that Donny's sabotage has already started to reverse? --Bob

Some of us in this world don't have the wherewithal to spend $2,000 that easily. Glad you will be able to pay for whatever medical needs you or your family has, without anyone else having to supplement you.
I am a big believer that if the f**king government would just get out of the way and stop trying to fix things, the market would sort it out and make healthcare available and affordable to all. But they won't. It's a big source of power for them, and Obama gave them a yuuuge slice of the pie, over the objections of most of us. Forget Haiti and Somalia, the biggest shithole in the world is Washington DC.