Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Re: Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

#126 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 am

franktangredi wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Completing the first partial: Bart the Bear, who was the bear in The Bear, also was credited as The Bear in 46. Legends of the Fall.
I couldn't resist that one!
I can certainly see why.

I overlooked that "The Bear" for a long time, thinking, "There's nobody in that movie but a real bear." Wasted time wading through Gary Busey's catalog, instead. Now I must bathe.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#127 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:25 am

I've been looking for Barbara Hershey matches for Last Summer, but I checked and there were a couple of movies called "Summer," one of which starred Robert Carlyle from Trainspotting, so that may be the match Franks was looking for.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#128 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 am

The Little World of Don Camillo really has me stumped. I can't find any movies entitled 'Little," "World," "Little World" or "Don." I looked up Fernandel's filmography and the only movie he made that could fit this puzzle is one entitled "The Boss." That might work if our mystery boxing movie had "The Boss" in the title. Otherwise, I'm baffled.

mrkelley23

#129 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The Little World of Don Camillo really has me stumped. I can't find any movies entitled 'Little," "World," "Little World" or "Don." I looked up Fernandel's filmography and the only movie he made that could fit this puzzle is one entitled "The Boss." That might work if our mystery boxing movie had "The Boss" in the title. Otherwise, I'm baffled.
There was a movie called "The World of Don Camillo," starring Terence Hill, Colin Blakely, and Mimsy Farmer. Do any of those actors fit any of the movies on the list?That would be a sneaky way to get one in.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#130 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I've been looking for Barbara Hershey matches for Last Summer, but I checked and there were a couple of movies called "Summer," one of which starred Robert Carlyle from Trainspotting, so that may be the match Franks was looking for.
Be prepared to kick yourself.

franktangredi

#131 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The Little World of Don Camillo really has me stumped. I can't find any movies entitled 'Little," "World," "Little World" or "Don." I looked up Fernandel's filmography and the only movie he made that could fit this puzzle is one entitled "The Boss." That might work if our mystery boxing movie had "The Boss" in the title. Otherwise, I'm baffled.
You didn't look hard enough.

franktangredi

#132 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
There was a movie called "The World of Don Camillo," starring Terence Hill, Colin Blakely, and Mimsy Farmer. Do any of those actors fit any of the movies on the list?That would be a sneaky way to get one in.
I'm sneaky, but I'm not that sneaky!

silverscreenselect

#133 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:06 am

Got one more.

STAR (Julie Andrews, Darling Lili) Trek III: THE SEARCH (Montgomery Clift, Suddenly Last Summer) for Spock

silverscreenselect

#134 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:10 am

franktangredi wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:I've been looking for Barbara Hershey matches for Last Summer, but I checked and there were a couple of movies called "Summer," one of which starred Robert Carlyle from Trainspotting, so that may be the match Franks was looking for.
Be prepared to kick yourself.
Barbara Hershey was in Hannah and Her Sisters.

But my Robert Carlyle match worked too.

mrkelley23

#135 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 am

franktangredi wrote:
You didn't look hard enough.
Fernandel played the lead in a movie called "Harvest" in 1937, which completes the Shine on, Harvest Moon triple. I think Armin Mueller-Stahl must be the actor from Shine, since he did Eastern Promises.

silverscreenselect

#136 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:24 am

Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park) was in Cats and Dogs.

Assuming all our partials are correct, we now have identified 43 out of the 44 movies.

We are missing the mystery boxing movie which could be Film 44, and a match for Don Camillo.

We are also missing matches for Shine on Harvest Moon. I can't believe Frank would include this without Shine and Moon, but I've been unable to find any Geoffrey Rush, Sam Rockwell, or Kevin Spacey movies that work here.

silverscreenselect

#137 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:25 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park) was in Cats and Dogs.

Assuming all our partials are correct, we now have identified 43 out of the 44 movies.

We are missing the mystery boxing movie which could be Film 44, and a match for Don Camillo.

We are also missing matches for Shine on Harvest Moon. I can't believe Frank would include this without Shine and Moon, but I've been unable to find any Geoffrey Rush, Sam Rockwell, or Kevin Spacey movies that work here.
Mrkelley beat me to the punch. So, we're now down to the mystery boxing movie.

mrkelley23

#138 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 am

silverscreenselect wrote:

If we use your previous match for Summer in Summer of Sam, then use the movie "Sam," which featured Morgan Fairchild (Pee-wee's Big Adventure), we'd have a triple there.

silverscreenselect

#139 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:46 am

mrkelley23 wrote:

If we use your previous match for Summer in Summer of Sam, then use the movie "Sam," which featured Morgan Fairchild (Pee-wee's Big Adventure), we'd have a triple there.
If that's true, then the boxing movie provides an actor that we've already found an alternate match for.

plasticene

#140 Post by plasticene » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:11 am

Is the boxing movie SAILOR BEWARE with Jerry Lewis? I can Google as well as anybody.

mrkelley23

#141 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am

77. appears to be THE KID FROM BROOKLYN, starring Danny Kaye.

So I would throw out the Summer of Sam trio, in favor of THE KID (Charles Chaplin, The Gold Rush) and BROOKLYN (Saiorse Ronan, The Lovely Bones).

mrkelley23

#142 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 am

Summer of Sam doesn't have an asterisk, but that may be because John Leguizamo, who was in SoS and needed for the Spawn match, was credited for Collateral Damage instead.

franktangredi

#143 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Summer of Sam doesn't have an asterisk, but that may be because John Leguizamo, who was in SoS and needed for the Spawn match, was credited for Collateral Damage instead.
Yes, it turned out to be impossible to keep track of the complete filmographies of every actor in every movie and avoid these ambiguities. Sorry about that.

silverscreenselect

#144 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Summer of Sam doesn't have an asterisk, but that may be because John Leguizamo, who was in SoS and needed for the Spawn match, was credited for Collateral Damage instead.
Yes, it turned out to be impossible to keep track of the complete filmographies of every actor in every movie and avoid these ambiguities. Sorry about that.
It was still a good puzzle. Thanks, Frank.

I'm working on one now that I'm shooting for President's Day to have ready. It's a general interest puzzle.

franktangredi

#145 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:48 pm

franktangredi wrote:
It was still a good puzzle. Thanks, Frank.

I'm working on one now that I'm shooting for President's Day to have ready. It's a general interest puzzle.
Can't wait!

mellytu74

#146 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:49 pm

Oh, my!!

SUCH fun! Tied up in meetings so I couldn't help in the close out but it was fun to see how it came together!!!

Barbara Hershey was in Hannah and Her Sisters. SMH.

Pastor Fireball

#147 Post by Pastor Fireball » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I'm working on one now that I'm shooting for President's Day to have ready. It's a general interest puzzle.
You know I'm ready for it!
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)