Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #177: Now Playing at the Multiplex

#51 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm

franktangredi wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:39. PSYCHO BEACH PARTY starring Janet Leigh (66. TOUCH OF EVIL) and Buster Keaton (89. THE GENERAL)

EDITED: I just realized this doesn't work. Buster Keaton wasn't IN Beach Party. Beach Blanket Bingo and some of the others, but not that one.
Your match is Dorothy Malone, who was in Basic Instinct.

Holy crap! I didn't realize Dorothy Malone was in Basic Instinct! What a movie to end a career with!
Ditto

mellytu74

#52 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:39 pm

43. 10 TO MIDNIGHT = Julie Andrews (25. DARLING LILI) and Claudette Colbert (90. IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT)

mellytu74

#53 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 pm

28. “This last month has been the most delicious time of my life. Of course we have had our ups and downs. The pressure is intense when two women share their lives. But, oh, but what marvelous intensity it is! Circumstances are not always ideal. The swinish press, the stringent bail terms, meetings with lawyers and so on. But all things considered, we're coping admirably. In fact, gold stars abundant. The cuckold permits her to see their children once a week. There are usually tears and fits of teenage tantrums, too. In time she'll recognize she's just not the mothering kind, and then Barbara will be there to comfort her. Nurse, beloved friend and wise counsel.”

I thought this might be what I thought it was, so I double-checked.

NOTES ON A SCANDAL, which yields us Cate Blanchett to complete this

65. THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX = Norma Shearer (8. THE WOMEN) and Cate Blanchett (28. NOTES ON A SCANDAL)

mellytu74

#54 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:05 pm

ON THE OTHER HAND.....

The IT Girl isn't HERE for IT (Happened One Night)

34. “It's great to live by the spirit, to testify day by day for eternity, only what's spiritual in people's minds. But sometimes I'm fed up with my spiritual existence. Instead of forever hovering above I'd like to feel a weight grow in me to end the infinity and to tie me to earth. I'd like, at each step, each gust of wind, to be able to say ‘Now.’ ‘Now’ and ‘now’ and no longer ‘forever’ and ‘for eternity.’

WINGS OF DESIRE

the first Oscar winner for Best Picture - Wings, with Clara Bow.

34. WINGS OF DESIRE = Clara Bow (59. MANTRAP) and either Marlene Dietrich or Gary Cooper for Desire.

EDITED TO ADD: Marlene Dietrich was in Touch of Evil.
Last edited by mellytu74 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#55 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:17 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
Your match is Dorothy Malone, who was in Basic Instinct.

Holy crap! I didn't realize Dorothy Malone was in Basic Instinct! What a movie to end a career with!
Ditto
I wouldn't have either except for reading her obituary notices when mentioned that.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

franktangredi

#56 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:50 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

Ditto
I wouldn't have either except for reading her obituary notices when mentioned that.
It's a good thing she wasn't who I had in mind or people would be accusing me of causing her death.

mellytu74

#57 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:46 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
Ditto
It's a good thing she wasn't who I had in mind or people would be accusing me of causing her death.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

silverscreenselect

#58 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:88. “First, we'll have an orgy. Then, we'll go see Tony Bennett.”

I didn't catch this one all the way at the bottom of the list. This is BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE.
And that gives Carol (Cate Blanchett, Notes from a Scandal) and Ted (Mark Wahlberg, Lovely Bones)

mellytu74

#59 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:88. “First, we'll have an orgy. Then, we'll go see Tony Bennett.”

I didn't catch this one all the way at the bottom of the list. This is BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE.
And that gives Carol (Cate Blanchett, Notes from a Scandal) and Ted (Mark Wahlberg, Lovely Bones)
AND ALICE with Mia Farrow (Hannah and her sisters)

So there is our quad

mellytu74

#60 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 pm

11. M BUTTERFLY = Peter Lorre (30. ARSENIC AND OLD LACE) and Orson Welles (66. TOUCH OF EVIL)

47. WILD IN THE COUNTRY = Laura Dern (74. JURASSIC PARK) and Jessica Lange (32. TOOTSIE)
44. THE BRIDE CAME C.O.D. = Jennifer Beals (7. FLASHDANCE) and ??
Last edited by mellytu74 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrkelley23

#61 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:38 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
You don't have to add any words. That would make the matches impossible to control.

Don't get hung up on the 20,000. The title of the movie is not 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at Sing Sing.

As for From Hell It Came, something that you've been looking for is right there. You just have to see it.
Isn't there a movie called It? Or does the title need to be at the end of the "container" movie? --Bob
Yes Clara Bow starred in IT. She was the IT girl and starred in Mantrap. So, we know IT is here, we just aren't sure where
There's one or two other movies called "It," you know....
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#62 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Isn't there a movie called It? Or does the title need to be at the end of the "container" movie? --Bob
Yes Clara Bow starred in IT. She was the IT girl and starred in Mantrap. So, we know IT is here, we just aren't sure where
There's one or two other movies called "It," you know....

I know but I was laser focused on Clara Bow.

Who ISN"T here for It -- she's here for Wings.

:D

mrkelley23

#63 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm still having trouble getting a handle on the Tangredi. Is it just two movies (actors) made from the title of a third? Seems like there would be mroe to it than that, but Frank said there were already several legit matches. Can somebody help me out and put it into words, please?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#64 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:I'm still having trouble getting a handle on the Tangredi. Is it just two movies (actors) made from the title of a third? Seems like there would be mroe to it than that, but Frank said there were already several legit matches. Can somebody help me out and put it into words, please?

There are two movies titles contained on one movie. Each of those movies has an actor who was in another movie on the list.

11. M BUTTERFLY = M - Peter Lorre (30. ARSENIC AND OLD LACE) and Butterfly - Orson Welles (66. TOUCH OF EVIL)

25. DARLING LILI = Darling - Julie Christie (42. SHAMPOO) and Lili -Leslie Caron (83. GIGI)

34. WINGS OF DESIRE = Wings - Clara Bow (59. MANTRAP) and Desire - Marlene Dietrich (66. TOUCH OF EVIL)

mrkelley23

#65 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:41 pm

So 61. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE = The Postman -- Kevin Costner (10. Hidden Figures) and Always -- Richard Dreyfus (37. Down and Out in Beverly Hills)

Legit?

mrkelley23

#66 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:53 pm

12. PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE = Big -- Tom Hanks (38. Joe vs. the Volcano) + Adventure -- Clark Gable (90. It Happened One Night)

franktangredi

#67 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:34 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

Is there any reason she couldn't be here for both? Asking for a friend.

franktangredi

#68 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:35 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:So 61. THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE = The Postman -- Kevin Costner (10. Hidden Figures) and Always -- Richard Dreyfus (37. Down and Out in Beverly Hills)

Legit?
Very.

mellytu74

#69 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:37 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

Oh. ..... uh, no.

I guess not.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

mellytu74

#70 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

Oh. ..... uh, no.

I guess not.

:oops: :oops: :oops:
21. FROM HELL IT CAME = From Hell - Johnny Depp (67. FINDING NEVERLAND) and It - Clara Bow (59. MANTRAP)

:oops: :oops:

I put the movie aside when we stopped adding extra words.

franktangredi

#71 Post by franktangredi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:09 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
21. FROM HELL IT CAME = From Hell - Johnny Depp (67. FINDING NEVERLAND) and It - Clara Bow (59. MANTRAP)

:oops: :oops:

I put the movie aside when we stopped adding extra words.
I tried to tell you.
As for From Hell It Came, something that you've been looking for is right there. You just have to see it.
So now it's only fair to mention that #67 isn't Finding Neverland. Johnny is here, but not there.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#72 Post by Estonut » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:05 am

franktangredi wrote:So now it's only fair to mention that #67 isn't Finding Neverland. Johnny is here, but not there.
I think #67 must be Radio Flyer.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mellytu74

#73 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:27 am

22. “What are you doing? Stop it! Stop it! Give me those pictures. You can't photograph people like that.”
“Who says I can't? I'm only doing my job. Some people are bullfighters, some people are politicians. I'm a photographer.”

Duh! this is BLOW UP.

It gives us BLOW, as the Johnny Depp movie.

AND Vanessa Redgrave for Julia

I just realized we need a second Johnny Depp movie because it's Blow = Johnny Depp (?) and Up - Ed Asner (Fort Apache: The Bronx)
Last edited by mellytu74 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#74 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:50 am

Some partials on this.

There was a movie called Spawn, a superhero film and Martin Sheen was the villain. My guess is that there is a Martin Sheen movie somewhere that links with this and Wall Street. And of course, there's North, which had a big cast, so someone from that must be in one of these movies.

Also (I cheated on this to confirm), Glen Hansard, who stars in Once (Upon a Time in America) has appeared in one other movie, and, as I guessed, it was The Commitments.

Fort Apache the Bronx has been troubling me. I would think Fort Apache would be there, but I don't know of any movie called Bronx or The Bronx. However, Ed Asner was in Fort Apache the Bronx, so there's the link to Up and Blow Up.

mellytu74

#75 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:07 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Some partials on this.

There was a movie called Spawn, a superhero film and Martin Sheen was the villain. My guess is that there is a Martin Sheen movie somewhere that links with this and Wall Street. And of course, there's North, which had a big cast, so someone from that must be in one of these movies.

Also (I cheated on this to confirm), Glen Hansard, who stars in Once (Upon a Time in America) has appeared in one other movie, and, as I guessed, it was The Commitments.

Fort Apache the Bronx has been troubling me. I would think Fort Apache would be there, but I don't know of any movie called Bronx or The Bronx. However, Ed Asner was in Fort Apache the Bronx, so there's the link to Up and Blow Up.
And could we be looking for someone other than Buster Keaton for THe General???

And the C.O,D. in The Bride Came C.O.D.