Obama's portrait

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Obama's portrait

#1 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 pm

It isn't bad, although the background's a bit busy, but Michelle's, wth? It looks nothing like her.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Catfish

Re: Obama's portrait

#2 Post by Catfish » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm

It's pretty, but it looks more like Malia.
Catfish

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Catfish wrote:It's pretty, but it looks more like Malia.
That's what I was thinking, that it looked more like Malia.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:56 pm

This has nothing to do with my feelings about Michelle. When I saw her portrait it immediately reminded me of the many student artwork submissions I've seen at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. In other words, it looks like it was painted by a somewhat talented high school or middle school student. Not bad, but not professional looking, either.

The president's portrait looks very good, though I think his hand is too large (perhaps a dig at the current office holders hand size. :) )
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm

It doesn't look to me all that much like Malia, either. To me, it looks like a painting of an unknown but attractive Real Housewife who has gotten gussied up with great hair and better than average makeup for the reunion show.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#6 Post by Vandal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Pastor Fireball

#7 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 am

tlynn78 wrote:It isn't bad, although the background's a bit busy, but Michelle's, wth? It looks nothing like her.
Could have been worse...

"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 am

Here are the portraits:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:25 am

BackInTex wrote:This has nothing to do with my feelings about Michelle. When I saw her portrait it immediately reminded me of the many student artwork submissions I've seen at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. In other words, it looks like it was painted by a somewhat talented high school or middle school student. Not bad, but not professional looking, either.

The president's portrait looks very good, though I think his hand is too large (perhaps a dig at the current office holders hand size. :) )
I agree with BiT about Michelle's; it looks like something for sale for $50 at a small town art fair.

Obama's painting looks like something out of a horror movie in which he's about to get attacked by a moving wall of ivy. I also think the artist was more interested in the flowers than Obama.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 am

So, which unit of paper currency will we be putting Ivy Obama on?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote:This has nothing to do with my feelings about Michelle. When I saw her portrait it immediately reminded me of the many student artwork submissions I've seen at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. In other words, it looks like it was painted by a somewhat talented high school or middle school student. Not bad, but not professional looking, either.

I agree with BiT about Michelle's; it looks like something for sale for $50 at a small town art fair.

Obama's painting looks like something out of a horror movie in which he's about to get attacked by a moving wall of ivy. I also think the artist was more interested in the flowers than Obama.
I like the President's portrait, except, as I said, his hands. It looks like the painter may have used a photo. You know how sometimes if you use a cheap single focus lens and the subject is sitting and part of the subject's body, usually feet, are closer and the lens exaggerates the size. I think that is what happened here.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 am

Wow - now that I see them both better (thanks, Vandal), these are just, well, bad. I know art is subjective, but, day-um. The Barack one has virtually no depth to the really, just, bad, background, and both subjects are given freakishly large hands. I mean, I know hands are hard, but just, wow.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Wow - now that I see them both better (thanks, Vandal), these are just, well, bad. I know art is subjective, but, day-um. The Barack one has virtually no depth to the really, just, bad, background, and both subjects are given freakishly large hands. I mean, I know hands are hard, but just, wow.
Michelle's hands are no worse than the rest of her body. I think the artist must be primarily a fashion illustrator.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

elwoodblues

#14 Post by elwoodblues » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Why is he sitting next to the outfield wall at Wrigley Field?

christie1111
11:11

#15 Post by christie1111 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Not sure why I don't see Michelle's when I see Barack's but here is a quilting tie in.

Michelle's dress is a nod to the quilters of Gee's Bend. The quilts have been on tour a few times in museums. They are very simple geometric quilts that used left over fabric in order to help provide for their families if sold or used to keep the families warm if they were not sold.

And as much as I like the idea of a quilt pattern into a dress, I found it a bit odd in this particular picture.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

Obama's head is too square, plus the hands...now that I look at hers more I'm not that grossed out about it.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

I may lose my anti Obama creds...except for the head and hands, forget the kudzu, his isn't bad. Hers is just pop art which is fine. Understand wanting to do something diff. The beheading artist, whatever. If you explore many artists you may be SHOCKED I tell ya.
Speaking as a lapsed watercolorist.
Well, then

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 pm

More work by Obama's choice of painters. I've got to hand it to him, Barack associates with some classy people.

That's not racists at all is it? A black woman holding the severed head of a white woman she just beheaded?

I wonder what one would think if Bush had some painter do his portrait that had made it a habit of painting Klan members hanging folks. It's be O.K., too, right?

~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Understand. Who pays for portraits. Some is donation, some Congress. I do think this is much ado about nothing. When did you last care about a portrait? He's gone.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#20 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Plus, you know they knew this would cause kerfluffle and distract from crud.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Neither of them is to my taste. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#22 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:46 pm

I find myself in the strange sitchiation of not giving a shit and almost defending the artists. There ya go!
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Except he does have 6 fingers on one hsnd...whaaa
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Understand. Who pays for portraits. Some is donation, some Congress. I do think this is much ado about nothing. When did you last care about a portrait? He's gone.
Snopes provides some context. It's based on a classical (1608) painting, which in turn was based on a Biblical story. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 pm

“It’s sort of a play on the ‘kill whitey’ thing,” Wiley said in a 2012 interview with New York Magazine.
That's about as racist, and promotion of violence, as it gets. I'm not surprised Obama likes him.
~~ Thomas Jefferson