my new house, is testing me

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

my new house, is testing me

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

a massive crack has developed in a large picture window in the back yard.

We have had some massive temperature swings lately, with ice forming at night, and hot sun during the day.
I think this is a temperature related thing, and hope the adjuster says the same when he/she visits tomorrow.

Oy!
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

jaybee

Re: my new house, is testing me

#2 Post by jaybee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:45 pm

From the contractor guy: If the glass cracked and it was not from an impact then something was wrong with the glass or the install. For glass to crack as a result of a gradual temperature change the most likely causes are either a small chip on one edge of the glass (this would be during it's manufacture process and would have been hidden inside the glass frame) or the glass was installed within it's frame too tightly and could not expand. Either of those two instances should be warrantied by the window manufacturer.

If it was a piece of glass that was installed into an on-site built frame, then it would be the fault of the installer.

Even if you have massive temperature swings the temperature changes will be gradual enough so that the glass will expand and contract without failure.

My money in on you having a valid warranty claim.
Jaybee

Bob Juch

Re: my new house, is testing me

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:07 pm

I expect you have double-pane windows? Which piece cracked?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.