This may suck

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

This may suck

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:20 pm

I just found out a few minutes ago that one of my colleagues has the flu -- Influenza A. He and I got the same vaccination, so I know that won't help. He and I were sitting side-by-side yesterday working on a project.

According to the CDC, I should know by the weekend whether I'll come down with it as well. Wish me luck (of the good variety, please). --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: This may suck

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Wash yer hands, don't touch your face and drink lotsa water. Seriously, take it easy. I had early bronchitis after kids et al had whatever crud. Doc thought flu test by then was pointless (I had the shot).Be well.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I just found out a few minutes ago that one of my colleagues has the flu -- Influenza A. He and I got the same vaccination, so I know that won't help. He and I were sitting side-by-side yesterday working on a project.

According to the CDC, I should know by the weekend whether I'll come down with it as well. Wish me luck (of the good variety, please). --Bob
Here's hoping you have a stronger immune system.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Get some Tamiflu now and start inhaling it at the first sign of symptoms.

Or maybe even without symptoms.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:28 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Get some Tamiflu now and start inhaling it at the first sign of symptoms.

Isn't that a prescription medication? Does it work as a preventative? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Take a bath in Lysol.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#7 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Get some Tamiflu now and start inhaling it at the first sign of symptoms.

There is definitely an over-the-counter version. There may be a stronger, prescription version, but I haven't encountered it. It may or may not be preventative, but just about everyone agrees that it shortens symptoms by about a day if you take it immediately after the first symptoms appear.

Here's a relatively unbiased source from a site with a vested interest in getting good information out about the flu.

Good luck.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

There is definitely an over-the-counter version. There may be a stronger, prescription version, but I haven't encountered it. It may or may not be preventative, but just about everyone agrees that it shortens symptoms by about a day if you take it immediately after the first symptoms appear.

Here's a relatively unbiased source from a site with a vested interest in getting good information out about the flu.

Good luck.
I wonder whether you're thinking of Theraflu, which is symptomatic relief, rather than an antiviral medication.

In any event, my local drugstore told me unambiguously that Theraflu requires a prescription and I certainly didn't see any on the shelves. Thanks for the suggestion. --Bob

mrkelley23

#9 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 am

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Isn't that a prescription medication? Does it work as a preventative? --Bob

Good luck.
I wonder whether you're thinking of Theraflu, which is symptomatic relief, rather than an antiviral medication.

In any event, my local drugstore told me unambiguously that Theraflu requires a prescription and I certainly didn't see any on the shelves. Thanks for the suggestion. --Bob
Tamiflu is what I meant. I have not had to buy it. If it requires a prescription, then have your doctor on speed dial, so you can get it quickly.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 am

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Isn't that a prescription medication? Does it work as a preventative? --Bob

Good luck.

You or your pharmacist is confused. Tamiflu requires a prescription, Theraflu does not.

https://www.goodrx.com/tamiflu?gclid=Cj ... BxEALw_wcB

https://www.theraflu.com/?rotation=7170 ... lsrc=aw.ds

gsabc

#11 Post by gsabc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:26 am

I recently got over it. Took care of the grandkids two weekends ago because HS had the flu and DIL needed a break. Brought them home last Monday, and DIL found out that afternoon that Grandson #1A (first from HS) had the flu. After coughing in our faces and other two-year-old stuff with us all weekend. GW called our HMO's Urgent Care and they prescribed Tamiflu over the phone. My GP says they've been doing that vs. having sick people come into the office. The Tamiflu worked its magic on both of us.

Bottom line: If you start getting flu symptoms, call your doctor right away and see if you can get the prescription without the office visit and an "official" diagnosis/test. Given your known exposure, the latter is a waste of time and money.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks, everyone. So far, so good. Two days down, two more to wait. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 am

Three days down, one to go. Still feeling fine. Here's hoping that remains the case tomorrow. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 am

Looks like I'm in the clear. :D --Bob